Problems tuning a max xxl3

Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Default Problems tuning a max xxl3

I am tuning my xxl3 and am having problems... Seems like I have to tune it every 30 min.. My buddy just put a picco 7 port in his ride and seems to have no problems keeping a tune.. Is this typical for this motor?? I get it running good and then about three quarters through the tank it will stall.. Then has problems starting... Have to prime the engine alot... Any tips, comments , feedback will be greatly appreciated.... This is my first slide carb and " nice" motor...
Old 08-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroChef tC3
I am tuning my xxl3 and am having problems... Seems like I have to tune it every 30 min.. My buddy just put a picco 7 port in his ride and seems to have no problems keeping a tune.. Is this typical for this motor?? I get it running good and then about three quarters through the tank it will stall.. Then has problems starting... Have to prime the engine alot... Any tips, comments , feedback will be greatly appreciated.... This is my first slide carb and " nice" motor...
Bottom end may be too lean open it up a few hours
Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Make sure the Carb is completely seated and the retaining screw is sufficiently tight! Exhaust seals in good condition, ect.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Hi there,

are you running at the Sugar Bowl?

Two things come to mind:

Is you glow plug ok? Which plug are you running?

Secondly, I (and many others at the Bowl) always had engine problems when running the NTC3.
Main problem is, that the carburator sits directly behind the engine and gets no cooling air, but all the heat from the cooling head.
The other major problem of this particular car was the exhaust system.
This pipe was not the best 10 years ago with the relatively low powered engines at the time.
I just can't imagine that it would work with the current breed of engines, especially top of the line stuff like the XXL3.

We have done the strangest attempts to run regular pipes on that car, where the pipes came out óf the rear window, but nothing ever worked really good.
I think that was the main reason why the car died away.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

try richen it a bit. Tune the high speed needle until motor runs fine, smoke is visible and temps are about 110-130C.
Then bring the car in pits, let it idle for 7-8 sec and do a full throttle for 2-3 sec at a stand. If it revs up immediately, richen a bit the low-speedneedle. Repeat the test until motor revs up but goes slightly rich first before increasing its rpms. Hope i made myself clear. If car come to pits with increased idle and then idle drops also richen the low-speed needle.

Last edited by gfilos; 08-13-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tips... My next day out at the track I will try them out... Also I am running with a dynamite platinum competition #8 cold glow plug.. It's all the hobby shop had... Could this be a factor?? Are these any good?? Any suggestions on plugs...? Just don't understand why it will run and then just sto p after a few laps... What is a good temp to run this motor???
Old 08-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips... My next day out at the track I will try them out... Also I am running with a dynamite platinum competition #8 cold glow plug.. It's all the hobby shop had... Could this be a factor?? Are these any good?? Any suggestions on plugs...? Just don't understand why it will run and then just sto p after a few laps... What is a good temp to run this motor???
novarossi plugs
Old 08-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RANDY SMOOTH
novarossi plugs
Is there a particular one I should run??
Old 08-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Tech Adept

Is there a particular one I should run??
i would go with a nova C6TGF. i am assumming youre running 16%nitro correct?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gfilos
i would go with a nova C6TGF. i am assumming youre running 16%nitro correct?
Currently running 20% ... how do I change.. Is there a process..