R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-01-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Novarossi plug differences

I have noticed that Novarossi has three different types of standard plugs within the same heat range. There is standard, "special" and gold. Does anybody know what the differences are between these types of plugs?
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

How about the turbo plug lengths...there's short and long what's the difference? Does some Nova based engine only accept either short or long plugs?
Afterburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 05:52 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I thought the novarossi plugs were rated in ranges from 5tf, 6tf, 7tf,8tf (cold plugs) and 5tc ,6tc, 7tc, and 8tc (hot plugs)

In Italian, F is for frio (cold), C is caliente (hot). I learned that bit of Italian from motorman's website : http://www.richeyracingengines.com/tuning.htm

There's some other manufacture's plugs mentioned there too.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:26 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yea i have a spare novarossi "special" hot plug #4 i dunno yet what good it will do.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:26 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Sorry, I have no idea of the difference between those plugs, but I suspect it's the dollars.

But I would like to know the equivelents to popular Nova Turbo plugs made by . . . is it McCoy and O'Donnell?

I haven't seen them in Oz and they appear to be well regarded in the US.
Anyone?
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Default All about NovaRossi glow plugs

Guys, I was browsing the world wide web and came across this forum. My first time posting on this site. Hope the information is useful.

NOVAROSSI glow plugs are available in turbo and standard versions. The turbo plug has the same thread size as the standard plug but seals at the bottom of the plug instead of at the gasket. This seal takes the threads out of the combustion chamber volume thereby improving performance.

NOVAROSSI standard and gold series plugs come in heat ranges from 4 (hot) to 8 (very cold). Turbo plugs range from 5 (hot) to 8 (cold). Turbo plugs also are available in a standard body (f designation) and long body (c designation). The long body plugs retain heat more than the standard body and thereby are slightly hotter. However, the number designation is the primary differentiator on heat size based on the coil element thickness. Cold plugs have thicker elements and this also adds to the price making the colder varieties slightly more expensive.

The C5TC and C5TF plugs are used primarily for Sport Speed and B Proto applications where 10% nitro is standard. Higher nitro applications require colder plugs; typically the C7 and C8 heat ranges. Military contractors, for their drone applications, use the C7S plug where high reliability and performance is a critical component.

Victor Worley
Planethobby
www.planethobby.com
vworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Victor,
One small correction: Thread size is completely different for turbo vs. standard. Turbo plugs have a much larger thread (diameter).
Otherwise, great info.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Sirio2127

The difrence between Novarossi ultra plugs is only the gold conector for plug warmer. and the difrence between novarossi long turbo plugs #tc or #tgc is the tapare at the very tip of the plug in a novarossi "Tc" plug that taper that seals the plug to the button is longer and on a difrent angle to the novarossi #tf or #Tgf short plugs. Normaly in the novarossi turbo plugs a novarossi 4tc 5tc 6tc and 7 and 8tc and tgc plugs are ment to be used for off road engines. Were as the novarossi 4tf 5tf 6tf and 7 and 8tf and tgf plugs are normaly used in on-road engines. Also a novarossi std plug is what i would call a long plug compared to an os std plug witch are very short. My rule is what ever engine brand you use you that brand of glow plug. Glow plug choice for running condishions and fuel type is vital to make the correct choice as it can have extreame difrences in how the engine paformes and tunes. Regards Jeremy.
Sirio2127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

ABOUT TURBO GLOW PLUGS

Turbo Glow Plugs where designed to give more performance to an engine, for the following reasons:

·It forms an uninterrupted combustion chamber.
·The advantage of better heat transfer or heat dissipation, and a leak proof seal, generated by the conical seat of the plug.
·Greater choice of thermal ranges, that allow for more precise tuning according to variations in weather conditions (temperature, humidity, altitude, barometric pressure, etc.).

The numbers and characters on the plugs, are the product number, wire thickness, and thermal range of the plug’s body. Example: The Novarossi C6TG (F) or (C)
§ Product: C (Conical)
§ Wire Thickness: 6
§ Plug Type: T (Turbo)
§ Plated: G (Gold)
§ Thermal Range: F (Fredda = Cold) C (Calda = Hot)

The plugs with cold thermal range F (Fredda), have a body with thinner walls and shorter body, so they dissipate heat better and faster to the engine head. The plugs with hot thermal range C (Calda), have a body with thicker walls and longer body, so they dissipate heat better and faster to the engine head. The number of threads is the same on both types of plugs.

How to select the proper plug:
·When the ambient temperature is high, we have to use a plug with thicker wire.
·With higher compression, we have to use a plug with thicker wire.
·Humidity determines if we use a Cold (F) thermal range, or Hot (C) thermal range.
·With high humidity percentage we should use a Hot (C) thermal range plug.
·If we have high temperature and high humidity, we should use a plug with thick wire and a Hot(C) thermal range.

The best instrument to determine which Turbo Plug to use, is those table digital weather stations, that have Temperature, Humidity, and some also Barometric Pressure on them. That is the key to success or failure tuning engines with Turbo Glow Plugs, because they are so sensitive to weather variations that is unbelievable.

Following is a selection chart for Novarossi Turbo Glow Plugs

Type Thermal Range Nitro% Air Temp.C° Humidity
C5TGC Hot/hot wire 10-20 0-10 70-100
C6TGC Hot/average wire 10-20 10-16 70-100
C7TGC Hot/cold wire 20-30 16-25 70-100
C8TGC Hot/ultra cold wire 30-up 25-up 70-100
C5TGF Cold/hot wire 10-20 0-10 40-70
C6TGF Cold/average wire 10-20 10-15 40-70
C7TGF Cold/cold wire 20-30 16-25 40-70
C8TGF Cold/ultra cold wire30-up 25-up 40-70

I cant tell you difference between Standard,Standard Special and Standard Ultra i think the Ultra and special are the same just the ultra has gold plating i think the standard are for airplane and helicopter engines
Standard
Standard Special
Standard Ultra
Byron's
http://www.hospitalrecords.com

Last edited by Nitro$junkie; 06-11-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:07 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hope this helps

Novarossi plug differences-scan1.jpg
Serpent S120
Tamiya M03-R
www.serpentradiocontrolcars.com.au
www.smaracing.org
Simon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links