Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tuning the HSN and LSN

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default Tuning the HSN and LSN

Well I accidentally changed the setting on my HSN recently. Now I am trying to retuned it. How can I figure out what setting is good for the HSN? What signs should i looke for? Rite now it is running smoothly but there is alot of unburned fuel coming out the pipe. How can i know that i am leaned it out enough?
Old 06-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

if you lost track of your needles, go back to factory settings and tune it from there.

as long as the car performs well, don't worry too much about the temps. lean out the high speed, then tune the low until you're happy with it. then look at the temps and adjust your needles to makw the temps the way you want them.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by James Y
if you lost track of your needles, go back to factory settings and tune it from there.

as long as the car performs well, don't worry too much about the temps. lean out the high speed, then tune the low until you're happy with it. then look at the temps and adjust your needles to makw the temps the way you want them.
How will I know the HSN is tuned properly and that I havnt leaned out the engine too much?
Old 06-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Techart27
How will I know the HSN is tuned properly and that I havnt leaned out the engine too much?
The most reliable way to find out is a temp gun. If you don't have one you can spit on the head, or a more sanitary way would be a DROP of water. Water boils at 212 deg and it will flash off the head at that temp. If it boils of really fast you're at or above 212. If it doesn't flash off, your temp is below 212. And if it steams off REALLY FAST, then you're probably overheating. This method has alot more variables than using a temp gun though.

Also, when tuning, like james said do the HSN first. Make sure you the engine is running good at high speed and make sure there is a nice streak of exaust smoke coming from your pipe. If there's NO smoke, that's a good sign you're not getting enough fuel too. You always want some smoke at full throttle.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Ok il retune it and get back to you guys after thanks
Old 06-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by Techart27
by the performance, you will know. for example, say you lean it out a little and each time you do, it performs better. then at a certain point, it loses performance and sort of "stutters" at WOT. that will mean it's too lean.
once you have leaned it out to the max PERFORMANCE, check the temp and richen it until you feel comfortable with the temp. I like to run my engines a little hotter than most people. most will say to run your engine at 220, but i like to run mine at 230 and a little higher, depending on the weather (hotter the day, hotter i run the engine. the colder, the colder i'll run the engine).

for the low speed, lean it out to where you pinch the fuel line a few inches before the carb and it dies out after 3 seconds (the engine should rev up a little then die. if it just dies, too lean. if it takes a looooooooooong time to die, too rich).

good luck!
Old 06-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by James Y
by the performance, you will know. for example, say you lean it out a little and each time you do, it performs better. then at a certain point, it loses performance and sort of "stutters" at WOT. that will mean it's too lean.
once you have leaned it out to the max PERFORMANCE, check the temp and richen it until you feel comfortable with the temp. I like to run my engines a little hotter than most people. most will say to run your engine at 220, but i like to run mine at 230 and a little higher, depending on the weather (hotter the day, hotter i run the engine. the colder, the colder i'll run the engine).

for the low speed, lean it out to where you pinch the fuel line a few inches before the carb and it dies out after 3 seconds (the engine should rev up a little then die. if it just dies, too lean. if it takes a looooooooooong time to die, too rich).

good luck!
thanks alot man that was very helpful