Wiki Posts
Search

OS TR engine thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Posted previously by CDELONG

my personal tuning guide-

This assumes you are getting fuel to the carb and have a good glow plug and ignitor!!

Always start with the top end when tuning!! Top end adjusment affect the bottom end settings, so never adjust the low end needle first.

FOR TOP END TESTING (you may need a friend to help with this one):

1). Pinch test: Hold the vehicle off the ground and hold the throttle steady at about mid to 3/4 throttle- then pinch the fuel line (midway between the carb and tank) for ONE second. The engine RPM's should increase slightly and return to normal without stalling.

If it stalls- too lean
if RPM's do not increase- too rich

2). Spit test- OK, spit (water) boils at 212F, so spitting on the head is a rudimenatry way of checking temp.

If the spit evaporates away in 2-3 seconds you are golden!!

If it boils off immediately- I means sizzles in an instant- you are most likely too lean (HOT)- richen it up a little.

If it just sits there and does nothing, you are too rich- lean it out a little.

3). Another way is to monitor temps with a temp gun. A temp gun is the best investment you'll make in Nitro RC'ing. At $75 dollars it may allow you to save your engine someday. It will always come in hand tuning.

4). The last and hardest method is plug reading.

- Plug wet and shiny- playing it safe- probably blubbers at full throttle.
- Plug dry and shiny- getting there- if it runs strong, leave it here!!
- Plug has a dull sanded look and not pitted at all- just right!!
- Plug has a highly sanded look and is pitted and possibly distorted- STOP- replace the plug and richen it up. The element may break off and damage the engine!!

Either way, the engine should emit a good amount of smoke while "pinning" the throttle. Keep temps in check if you are a beginner- I'd say less than 220F for racers new to nitro. Ask someone who has a temp gun to check for you if you don't have one.

LOW END TESTING

1). Pinch Test- after the engine is warm and the top end is set- bring the vehicle to an idle. Pinch the fuel line midway between the tank and carb and see how long it takes for the engine to stall.

2-3 seconds is optimal
less than 2-3 seconds- too lean
more than 2-3 seconds- too rich

2). Temperature tuning the low end:

If you have a temp gun- get the engine warm and check the temp. Let's say it's 200F. let the car idle after a good hard run and see if the temp goes up or down while idling. If the idle temp increases- it's too lean on the low end needle- richen it up a little. If the idle temp decreases- it's too rich- lean it out.

Do this until temp remains roughly the same at idle when you pull it in after a good hard run.

3). Idle speed testing

Bring the engine to an idle after a good hard run-

- if the idle creeps up and keeps increasing- it's too lean
- if the idle decreases and stalls- it's probaly too rich and loading up the plug.

Either way you go about it- the engine should be able to idle for 30 seconds without loading up when you nail it.

GOOD LUCK and happy tuning!!

Corey
Old 01-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rapid Roy
Posted previously by CDELONG

my personal tuning guide-

This assumes you are getting fuel to the carb and have a good glow plug and ignitor!!

Always start with the top end when tuning!! Top end adjusment affect the bottom end settings, so never adjust the low end needle first.

FOR TOP END TESTING (you may need a friend to help with this one):

1). Pinch test: Hold the vehicle off the ground and hold the throttle steady at about mid to 3/4 throttle- then pinch the fuel line (midway between the carb and tank) for ONE second. The engine RPM's should increase slightly and return to normal without stalling.

If it stalls- too lean
if RPM's do not increase- too rich

2). Spit test- OK, spit (water) boils at 212F, so spitting on the head is a rudimenatry way of checking temp.

If the spit evaporates away in 2-3 seconds you are golden!!

If it boils off immediately- I means sizzles in an instant- you are most likely too lean (HOT)- richen it up a little.

If it just sits there and does nothing, you are too rich- lean it out a little.

3). Another way is to monitor temps with a temp gun. A temp gun is the best investment you'll make in Nitro RC'ing. At $75 dollars it may allow you to save your engine someday. It will always come in hand tuning.

4). The last and hardest method is plug reading.

- Plug wet and shiny- playing it safe- probably blubbers at full throttle.
- Plug dry and shiny- getting there- if it runs strong, leave it here!!
- Plug has a dull sanded look and not pitted at all- just right!!
- Plug has a highly sanded look and is pitted and possibly distorted- STOP- replace the plug and richen it up. The element may break off and damage the engine!!

Either way, the engine should emit a good amount of smoke while "pinning" the throttle. Keep temps in check if you are a beginner- I'd say less than 220F for racers new to nitro. Ask someone who has a temp gun to check for you if you don't have one.

LOW END TESTING

1). Pinch Test- after the engine is warm and the top end is set- bring the vehicle to an idle. Pinch the fuel line midway between the tank and carb and see how long it takes for the engine to stall.

2-3 seconds is optimal
less than 2-3 seconds- too lean
more than 2-3 seconds- too rich

2). Temperature tuning the low end:

If you have a temp gun- get the engine warm and check the temp. Let's say it's 200F. let the car idle after a good hard run and see if the temp goes up or down while idling. If the idle temp increases- it's too lean on the low end needle- richen it up a little. If the idle temp decreases- it's too rich- lean it out.

Do this until temp remains roughly the same at idle when you pull it in after a good hard run.

3). Idle speed testing

- if the idle creeps up and keeps increasing- it's too lean
- if the idle decreases and stalls- it's probaly too rich and loading up the plug.

Either way you go about it- the engine should be able to idle for 30 seconds without loading up when you nail it.

GOOD LUCK and happy tuning!!

Corey
nice tip...i'll try it out...
Old 01-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

Rapid Roy

This was good tip thanks......

if the idle creeps up and keeps increasing- it's too lean
I think I might have this problem...... as my engine idling fluctuates when the car comes to idle after a run.

The other possilibity could be due to the movement of the xhaust joint tube movement due to crashes..... but will try and find out.

cheers
ZiiZo
Old 01-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

guys: would engine tuning change if i change to a bigger head??? like the one by zac/kawahara head??? also, what's the effect of putting more shims between the glow plug and the piston and sleeve??? thanks
Old 01-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by doki_doki
guys: would engine tuning change if i change to a bigger head??? like the one by zac/kawahara head??? also, what's the effect of putting more shims between the glow plug and the piston and sleeve??? thanks
bigger head - i would say yes.. cause u can lean your hsn

adding shims - yes too...imo anyway
Old 01-29-2005, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

guys: what benefit do i get if i add shims between the engine head and piston/sleeve??? thanks
Old 01-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

guys: what benefit do i get if i add shims between the engine head and piston/sleeve??? thanks
not sure how true this is but i was told... add shims when still new maybe helps compression to last a bit longer

after awhile when compression decreases u reduce the shims
Old 01-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

You only add shims if you are experiencing pre-detonation. It will lower the compression and retard combustion.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
You only add shims if you are experiencing pre-detonation. It will lower the compression and retard combustion.
so you decrease the power the engine generates if you add shims??? did i get you right???
Old 01-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

so you decrease the power the engine generates if you add shims??? did i get you right???
yes you loose compression
Old 02-01-2005, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Marcos.J
yes you loose compression
i see...so it's like creating a false idea of loose compression but actually the engine still has good compression.... thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Default rd logics

just got the rd logics turbo 2pipe....can't wait to see how it performs....
Old 02-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: rd logics

Originally posted by rcabj
just got the rd logics turbo 2pipe....can't wait to see how it performs....
pics 1.
Attached Thumbnails OS TR engine thread-mvc-895s.jpg  
Old 02-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

pics 2
Attached Thumbnails OS TR engine thread-mvc-897s.jpg  
Old 02-04-2005, 01:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default OS TR12 Efra version

Is the TR with the stainless steel heat sink quicker that the normally blue ones? Is it worth the $25.00 extra?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.