Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chilled Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb Chilled Fuel

I posted this on a different board, but I think it's probably the most appropriate here.

Yesterday I was thinking about how the temperature of the fuel might impact performance. Does anyone know the effect of chilling the fuel before use? It would seem as though it may have a positive performance change.

Any ideas?
Chris
Old 05-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Hot fuel is definately bad, it increases its evaporative rate. Ive never tried actually chilling it!?!

It might help with cooling initially, but in a relatively short time it would return to ambient temperature, or warmer due to engine heat. This might make tuning a little wierd.

You would probably have to insulate the gas tank in order to achieve any lasting effects.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

LOL chilled fuel...never heard of that idea b4. But as stated on top- it would warm up really quickly.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ahhh well. It was just a thought

I was thinking about what DMAC said. It would likely goof up the tuning of the engine later on in an event.

Chris
Old 05-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Chilled Fuel

Originally posted by TerraX
I posted this on a different board, but I think it's probably the most appropriate here.

Yesterday I was thinking about how the temperature of the fuel might impact performance. Does anyone know the effect of chilling the fuel before use? It would seem as though it may have a positive performance change.

Any ideas?
Chris
From my expirience can tell you-fuel has to be certain temperature ( pretty worm). Cooled down fuel will not evaporate at desired speed, but we always have to remember about resonble limits.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:09 AM
Tech Regular

Default Chilled fuel

Chilling Model fuel below 50 F is not a good idea. From talking to a company that mixes race fuel, the problem lies in the Castor oil that is in our model fuels. Below 50 degrees farenheit the castor oil will start going back into a solid state. The fuel will start to have little white or yellow flakes in it.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:24 AM
Tech Master

Also, if running a nitro restricted class where a nitromax is used, cold fuel will be over the limit quicker than warm fuel.

In high temperature you could add more nitro before the nitromax floats than in cold temperatures.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

I tried running some cool/cold fuel before, can't remember how cold it was but was in a cooler for 20 minutes or so and felt cold. Motor ran cooler of course, also ran rich, ran the whole tank out to see if the tune would change any from the chassis, tank, etc.. warming up and it didn't change much at all throughout the tank. I don't think you would gain any power inscreases, maybe a slight mileage improvement b/c you would have to lean the motor back out for it to run good, but for how rich it was and how much slower from that the motor would have had same power as with non chilled out fuel, so I was over it and didn't run it anymore. If you did choose to run that at a race you would have a very difficult time keeping the fuel the same temp and the motor running the same from that b/c it's going in and out of the cooler and what are you going to do with a cooler in the pits, then chance of some water getting into the tank also. Too much headache and inconsistency I'd think.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

I think fuel works best when it's totally vaporized, I think your best performance would be when it's 'almost' hot enough to evaporate. Think about this; when you just about run out of fuel and you get that last 5 seconds of higher revs just from it leaning out (more air & less fuel => higher vapor content). I think you want your fuel plenty warm for the most power and efficiency! It's your electric TC motor you want to chill before the race.

-John