Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
HELP! My NSR12S5 is eating pistons! >

HELP! My NSR12S5 is eating pistons!

HELP! My NSR12S5 is eating pistons!

Old 04-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Default HELP! My NSR12S5 is eating pistons!

Guys,

I have a Novarossi NSR12S5, and all through its less than 30 tanks of fuel already I have had two pistons with the lower skirt broken. While I was running the engine I did not lean it, and the engine keep running under 100F. What gives? Did I had a lemon, or am I wrong in setting the needles? I am running NR CTF6 plug, 30% nitro, on a FW05. Needle setting is a tad less than 5 turns main, 3.5 turns idle. Should I call a quit with this engine, or should I get the piston/liner, conrod and piston pin again and give it one more try?

Also, now I have two liner perfect without scratch, anyone knows where I could get just a piston so that I could save some $$$?
Old 04-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

30 tanks is alot I think,and plus 2pistons I think its time to let it go . Set her loose in the nitro pasture on your shelf,,,
Old 04-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

30 tanks isn't that much. It's gotta be less than a gallon. Did you add a .1mm copper shim to the head? You may have to do that running 30%. TopGun???
Old 04-19-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Post Help

I was curious when was the last time you changed your Conrod? My experience similar to this was the cause of a loose bushing on the rod. Do to the play everytime it rotates the rod seems to move around inside freely causing it to hit. If you think about it the slightest millimeter off can make your piston head extend itself going to far or down making the travel of your piston & sleeve a little longer either way. I don't know but this is what I experienced so thought you might want to know if it will help.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Post Help

I was curious when was the last time you changed your Conrod? My experience similar to this was the cause of a loose bushing on the rod. Do to the play everytime it rotates the rod seems to move around inside freely causing it to hit. If you think about it the slightest millimeter off can make your piston head extend itself going to far or down making the travel of your piston & sleeve a little longer either way. I don't know but this is what I experienced so thought you might want to know if it will help.

Hope you can get this problem resolved.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Post Sorry for double posting it was an accident.

Sorry guys.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Actually I use 2 .1mm shims on the head to break in the engine. The conrods on both cases are like new, with the bushings sitting fit on both sides....
Old 04-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Chances are, the sleeve is grooved or slightly warped. This will caused the piston to chatter at high RMP and shatter the skirt.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: HELP! My NSR12S5 is eating pistons!

Originally posted by jasoncsc
the engine keep running under 100F.
did you mean 100C ?