Wiki Posts
Search

opinions on break in!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default opinions on break in!?

currently want to trade my offroad rb engine for a onroad novarossi as i have no use for the rb anymore as i have left offroad and now into onroad..

i asked the guy about the novarossi that im trading and he said the engine is currently being broken in (been through 7 tanks) using 6% nitro!.. (not 16%, i asked him if it was a error).

just curious on other people opinion on the engine using 6% on break in.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LiL_JaSoN
currently want to trade my offroad rb engine for a onroad novarossi as i have no use for the rb anymore as i have left offroad and now into onroad..

i asked the guy about the novarossi that im trading and he said the engine is currently being broken in (been through 7 tanks) using 6% nitro!.. (not 16%, i asked him if it was a error).

Engines should be run in on the fuel you intend on using.Part of the breakin process is for the engine to get used to running the nitro content .
take the engine back to factory settings and start again.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It doesnt matter what nitro percentage (as long as its not something crazy high) is used to break it in. Shim it, tune it, and use the proper plug when running it is what matters.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ballistik Mods; exactly what i thought?

also 6% would have a very low oil content i imagine.

just thinking if its going to be worth the trade. im never going to use the offroad engine again anyway.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ballistik Mods; exactly what i thought?

also 6% would have a very low oil content i imagine.

just thinking if its going to be worth the trade. im never going to use the offroad engine again anyway.
I have no idea who you are buying the engine from so I can't say anything about their credibility for sure but I don't know any racers that even know where to get 6% nitro fuel.... not to mention how the engine was broken in causes biblical arguments between people that should know.

I'd buy new, but if you have to buy used I would get another engine from someone more in the onroad racing scene since its fairly small. rb offroad engines are good, try to sell it in the offroad scene and get more for it.

I broke an engine in once too quickly (warmup of a qualifier) and the piston/sleeve never loosened up like they should have so the engine never got the high end rpm it could have had until I got a new piston/sleeve for it and got the proper heat cycles through it. I am a pretty strong believer in the fact that the metals change when they reach certain temps which causes the right amount of wear and then something similar to a tempering process occurs and doesn't really change until it's damaged.

Last edited by Brian Bosley; 04-28-2010 at 06:13 AM. Reason: corrected oil for nitro, couldn't even imagine 6% nitro.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

6% nitro is not 6% oil. i would doubt anyone would run 6% oil. it would be more like 10-12% oil, 6% nitro, I too have had best results when i heat cycle motors in. there for you can only know for sure it is done right when you buy a NEW engine and do it your self. the first couple of tanks are very important, and really will determine what sort of motor it will be. best to do it your self so you know for sure. and if you do buy new, run the same fuel you will race, its just easier when you start leaning it , then switch to something different, you will need to start again for tune.

PS : 6% nitro would be less stress on a new motor than 16% or 25%. he would have used that to destress the rod in break in.
but there isnt much difference overall, you just need to pre heat the engine on start up when starting the process.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
6% nitro is not 6% oil. i would doubt anyone would run 6% oil. it would be more like 10-12% oil, 6% nitro, I too have had best results when i heat cycle motors in. there for you can only know for sure it is done right when you buy a NEW engine and do it your self. the first couple of tanks are very important, and really will determine what sort of motor it will be. best to do it your self so you know for sure. and if you do buy new, run the same fuel you will race, its just easier when you start leaning it , then switch to something different, you will need to start again for tune.

PS : 6% nitro would be less stress on a new motor than 16% or 25%. he would have used that to destress the rod in break in.
but there isnt much difference overall, you just need to pre heat the engine on start up when starting the process.
Right, my previous post said oil but I meant nitro. 6% nitro was just too unimaginable to me apparently.

I have seen 7% oil fairly commonly though, its a local fuel used mostly by offroad guys.