3 port or 5 port?

Old 03-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

Default 3 port or 5 port?

the question is which is the best option? 3 or 5 port. in the uk we have a new gt class running 200/220 and 235mm cars all together with an open motor rule upto .15, the way i see it .15 motors are old hat now with no r&d done on them for a few years now, and having run against .15 with a 5 port .12 last year with no power issue i think its the way to go
but should i try a 3 port, the 5 port has the top end but at the cost of fuel economy, where as the 3 port has the torque with the economy.

what are your thoughts

cheers
Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would go with a modded 3 port engine. You get crazy power and torque and still keep the fuel economy. And as a bonus you car run it in sanctioned events. It's kind of like a win-win-win
Old 03-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I always go for the 3 port!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jas1
the question is which is the best option? 3 or 5 port. in the uk we have a new gt class running 200/220 and 235mm cars all together with an open motor rule upto .15, the way i see it .15 motors are old hat now with no r&d done on them for a few years now, and having run against .15 with a 5 port .12 last year with no power issue i think its the way to go
but should i try a 3 port, the 5 port has the top end but at the cost of fuel economy, where as the 3 port has the torque with the economy.

what are your thoughts

cheers
I'd stay with the 3 port being you can use it in more races events than a 5 port. Sure more ports will give you more top end but it depends how you doing the comparison. For example an OS .12TZ 5 port will be faster than an OS .12TZ 3 port, but slower than a Novarossi 353 3 port .12. Another thing you pointed out is fuel economy. Every second matters when it comes to racing. Focus on driving skill and not about who has more power. More power doesn't mean you will always win.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

In the US, we used to run the 235mm car. I used to run a big block 15 in mine, but then Serpent came out with the small block motor kit and I dropped in a small block 5 port 15. There was more than enough power to run that car. Now, if you have a 200mm car we run .12 with three ports. Very predictable and controlable motor. If you have a huge track and just want the all out scream go .12-5 port.

There was an outlaw type class 220mm that showed up two years ago in the US that used the larger front and rear like the old 235 cars and the rules permitted the use of 5 port .12 motors. Those cars ran great with those 5 ports. A small block .15 in a 220mm car is a bit overkill.

I like the 3 port because you can control the power a lot better. Again, in the US the 3 port motor is the standard when it comes to competitive 200mm racing. I run the Novarossi 353, 12SCT & 12SC. All in 3 port. These motors are beast!! I love them! In some cases they are too much power for parking lot style tracks.