Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't get Car to keep idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 05:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Can't get Car to keep idle

I'm having trouble keeping the idle on my ld3 force .12 engine. I broke it in properly don't realy run it hard. First i thouht the glow plug was going changed it last night and it still don't start. Tried to re-tune the settings also I thought it was being flooded or getting to much fuel. but it still don't keep an idle. any help for this minor proble will help......
Old 04-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

what % of fuel are you running ? anyways, try hotter plug or lean out your low end a bit. Also check your engine for possible leakage..
Old 04-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Can't get Car to keep idle

Originally posted by Blaze1
I'm having trouble keeping the idle on my ld3 force .12 engine. I broke it in properly don't realy run it hard. First i thouht the glow plug was going changed it last night and it still don't start. Tried to re-tune the settings also I thought it was being flooded or getting to much fuel. but it still don't keep an idle. any help for this minor proble will help......
May be clutch is engaging too early? Just a sugestion.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Right now i'm running O'donnels 20% and i am useing ofna medium plugs. The next thing i'll do is check the back seal by the pull start & other possible screw to engine. Also I tried cleaning the fuel line nipple to the carb that worked a little, it ran for about 30 to 40 seconds then died.... any suggestions ??????
Old 04-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

15-20 seconds of idle with a decent throttle response is good. there are no awards for letting an engine idle for a whole tank. Eventually the thing will load up with fuel if you have the top end rich enough to be safe and lean enough to make good power. You have to rev it up every now and then to clean it out. Then it will idle another 15-20 seconds or so. You should never have to wait longer than that for the start of a race, and if you do, have your pit guy pick up your car so you can clean it out, or drive it around with some quick bursts of throttle and line-up again.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

still not getting car to start!!! checked everything on car & it's ok dose anyone know a better way to force an engine to start. pluggin the exhaust is not working ethier. so i need to try something else.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Blaze1
still not getting car to start!!! checked everything on car & it's ok dose anyone know a better way to force an engine to start. pluggin the exhaust is not working ethier. so i need to try something else.
Two things, you said you cleaned out the fuel nipple, was there dirt in it? if so, you need to go NOW to the LHS and get a fuel filter, and clean out your carb. did you push the crb down when you tightened it up again? Try that. Secondly, take the manual and set the motor to complete stock in the manual and then try again, It still not, then you will need to look for an airleak. Did you clean out all the dirt around the glow plug before you changed it? this may be causing a leak. If this still does not work, than you may need to take it to the LHS...

Did you check your glow driver? Take the plug out (after cleaning all dirt out) and then test it, if it glows white-red, you are fine, if orange, change the battery or charge it...