Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Need your opinion on the condition of this pistion >

Need your opinion on the condition of this pistion

Need your opinion on the condition of this pistion

Old 02-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

My suggestion is, throw away your Piston/Sleeve and get a new one. I prefer spending a few bucks than getting headaches on race day.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default scrap it or remve burring + use it till she blows

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
First, thanks everyone for your helpful comments.

This is the second piston/sleeve for this engine. I did a WOT break-in and it ran good for 8 months with no problems. The pinch is still really good. This is my number 3 engine that runs in whatever third car I'm running - so MTX-4 and then NT1. Like I said before, the engine was running good, no problems, so I didn't have a reason to take it apart. Most of my time was spent working on my other two engines.

I took this engine apart at about 11:30pm and I still had to work on my other engine, so I missed some tell tale signs on the piston sleeve that would have given me a better idea of what happened. You know how it is - if you don't know what you're looking for, it's easy to miss things. You guys really helped me pin point the problem.

As you can see from the photos below, a part of the piston clip broke off. See the other gouge going toward the top of the piston? And the pin created a bur on the intake port. Then it looks like it it got caught on one of the other intake ports as the piston was going up, which resulted in the gouge you see on the side of the piston. Rest of the engine looks fine, well - except the button head which I've known about for a while - ha ha, but that's just me being lazy about doing something about it.

I wonder how long this has been here. Maybe months - maybe it happened more recently. Hard to say.

Thanks again. I always appreciative the help I get from the smart guys who hang out here. Enjoy the photos.

In reference to conditions piston deep looking scratch and liner scratch (I also see cracked liner between porting windows) I would scrap the set there. You can remove the burrs so as to minimize material lifting and contaminating(damaging) engine further, and hope for the best untill she proves un runable. A little dremel sanding disc along with light emery clothe fallowed with crocus clothe will assist you here. There are young racers with little funds that would be happy with this type gamble.

At the very least find a used P+S set with a good sealing capabilities.

Hope this helps....Kind regards

RayAracing
Old 02-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Riketsu
My suggestion is, throw away your Piston/Sleeve and get a new one. I prefer spending a few bucks than getting headaches on race day.
agreed the piston sleeve is shot spend the money and get a new one
Old 03-16-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Adept

Put that piston on your keychain and call it a day. lol