Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

Default Motor Maintenance

I have an Os 12tr that has run around 1.5 gallons of fuel through it now in the last 1.5 years. Now the engine still seems to have enough power in it and runs quite nicely but i just wanted to know what sort of maintenance to do on it and when to do it. The only problem i have had is it seems to be leaking between the carb and the block because its always very dirty there are a run. I removed the carby but accidently knicked the metal on the carb. (i used some auto sealant to fix it i hope). Is this a common problem with this engine and what should i look at doing with an engine around this age?
Old 02-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

anyone got any maintenance tips?
Old 03-06-2004, 02:45 AM
Nitro Tech

You need to change the carb's o-rings to stop leaking.

About engine maintain, you need to replace new conrod;new bearing;even new crank or piston wrist pin regularly. Don't till any part has fault you just want to replace it.

to my experience to mine many expensive .21 engine;
1)When the paly between conrod bushing and crankpin/wrist pin is over 0.05mm,I will change the conrod.If the paly between new conrod bushing and crankpin is still over 0.05mm,that means the crankpin worn out already.I will replace the crank.If the paly between new conrod bushing and wrist pin is still over 0.05mm,that means the wrist pin worn out already.I will replace the wrist pin.

2)I will replace the front bearing every 4 hours running time.
If it is a .21 engine:
4 x 60 = 240 mins.
240 / 5 = 48 tanks.
48 x 125cc = 6L. It's about 1.6 gallon.

3)I will replace the rear bearing every 2.5 hours running time.
If it is a .21 engine:
2.5 x 60 = 150 mins.
150 / 5 = 30 tanks.
30 x 125cc = 3750cc. It's about 1 gallon.

To remember the records I wrote down to a note,because I have too many .21 like STS;JP;M.Collari;Mega;RB;OPS;Picco....etc. And I have a practicing engine for normal day. A racing engine is only for race meeting. So I never have engine fault on racing day.

Even I sometime may damage my engine due to some carelessness. So be careful with your engine. If it runs good before but runs strange now,stop to run it right now. Your engine is telling you that "Hey master,I'm sick!". Check all parts carefully and you will know what is wrong.

Each racer should have at least TWO engine,if one has problem replace with another engine right now. Don't guess that is just turning problem. It's my sincere suggestion.