http://rbproducts.com/rbww/ubb/cgi-b...c;f=3;t=000916
Old 02-14-2004, 07:08 PM
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: RB / Rody Engines

Originally posted by S710_Nut
I have the following i need help with?

http://rbproducts.com/rbww/ubb/cgi-b...c;f=3;t=000916
One of my engines is an RB X12 just rebuilt and moded. What i can tell you is that the difficult part was the first time, and this second time, the Break-In. This engines are very tight and tend to grip pistons the first tank or so, so one has to be very carefull during this period. Apart from that, it is no less or more difficult to tune than any engine. All Nova based engines use the same carburator. Never had temperature problems, and here in PERU we have kind of a tropical weather (very humid).
I also have Picco, Lauro Collari Picco, Sirio "Evo2" and Novamega engines and all of them properly tuned are good engines, each with it's own personality and power band.
My favorites in order:
1.- Sirio "Evo2"
2.- RB X12 modified by me
3.- Collari Picco
4.- Novamega (old rear exhaust)
5.- Picco XS12
It is very difficult not to mess around with carb settings, because you have to adjust engine when track, weather conditions, pipe, plugs nad gearing changes.
Of course that is all true if you are into serious racing.
Don't be afraid, just get any of the latest generation of top brand engines and just practice settings and you'll get to dominate them beasts.
Hope this helps
AFM
Old 02-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: RB / Rody Engines

Originally posted by afm
One of my engines is an RB X12 just rebuilt and moded. What i can tell you is that the difficult part was the first time, and this second time, the Break-In. This engines are very tight and tend to grip pistons the first tank or so, so one has to be very carefull during this period. Apart from that, it is no less or more difficult to tune than any engine. All Nova based engines use the same carburator. Never had temperature problems, and here in PERU we have kind of a tropical weather (very humid).
I also have Picco, Lauro Collari Picco, Sirio "Evo2" and Novamega engines and all of them properly tuned are good engines, each with it's own personality and power band.
My favorites in order:
1.- Sirio "Evo2"
2.- RB X12 modified by me
3.- Collari Picco
4.- Novamega (old rear exhaust)
5.- Picco XS12
It is very difficult not to mess around with carb settings, because you have to adjust engine when track, weather conditions, pipe, plugs nad gearing changes.
Of course that is all true if you are into serious racing.
Don't be afraid, just get any of the latest generation of top brand engines and just practice settings and you'll get to dominate them beasts.
Hope this helps
AFM
Thanks AFM

Do you know anywhere online that sell RB Engines? I have a Rs12 S3 Jp at the moment and while i am not giving up on it, it seems very hard to find a happy medium with the tune. Just when all seems right it lets you down.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: RB / Rody Engines

Thanks AFM

Do you know anywhere online that sell RB Engines? I have a Rs12 S3 Jp at the moment and while i am not giving up on it, it seems very hard to find a happy medium with the tune. Just when all seems right it lets you down.
I Have 2 RB's First was a C12 for my RC10Gt the second an X12 I picked up used for a backup on my MTX3. I love the RB's they Tune Better then any other motor I've seen yet. My C12 Has about 3 gallons thru it now and is in my NTC3 it is Blazing fast for a side exhaust Pullstart and My X12 is now in my MTX3 for My main motor. Anyone who says RB's are hard to tune must have troubles tuning any motor. I used about a gallon thru my C12 before i even changed the og Glowplug.If you are in the US Ace Hardware hobbies has a good online price and I've ordered with them before with good results.www.ace-hobbies.com The V12's run $200-220 don't remember if they have the RR (Mod)version.I think there are Faster Motors out there but not in the $200 range and not as easy to deal with. The C12 was my second nitro motor and it still starts very quick runs on a wide range of settings and is hard to control in a car as loose as an ntc3.For my opinion $ for $ they can't be beat.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:57 AM
afm
Tech Master

Thanks AFM

Try www.atomichobbies.com , they are in Miami, great service and support, and good prices. I think the V12 goes for $220.00

The more modified an engine is, it's like a woman, temperamental man.

Good luck with your choice.
afm
Old 02-21-2004, 04:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks AFM

Try this hobby shop www.ashfordhobby.com. He provides price list for everything and his one of the biggest stockist of serpent parts. Aslos stocks RB engines full range.

Great guy and a true racer, really provides great help and advice.

Take care

Nigel