Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Cold weather & Nitro Engines? >

Cold weather & Nitro Engines?

Old 10-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys, I'm getting into nitro RC and I was wondering how these engines do in cold weather? As in, is it recommended, or do you guys put the cars and trucks away for the winter. Other than the moisture involved with snow, do these things run in the cold.
Winter is fast approaching in Illinois and I don't want to have to look at the thing on the shelf all winter and wonder if I should just wait til spring.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Water is really your only enemy and even then I know people do even run in the ran. Even some races are run in the rain.

I would just be sure to bag your electronics , aka make sure no rain gets to them. Little baloons and other things work good for stopping that.

Afterwards I would be sure to blast it dry with a compressor and apply liberal amounts of wd-40 to all metal parts.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cold weather means cooler temperatures, more oxygen in the air (unless it's below or close to freezing), and generally good attmosphere for the engines to run.

While I don't regularly run in cold weather, if you are running in freezing conditions, you might have to run a hotter glowplug to make the engine run properly.

I'd say go for it. I don't see a reason to hold back! Tower hobbies sells front wheel ski-conversion kits for the RC-10GT, so there has to be a reason for it!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

good question, from my experience nitro engines can be a tad fiddly to start and get up to running temp in cold weather but if you run a hot or even an ultra hot plug depending on conditions you should have no problems keeping a stable tune, cold air is denser air so thats a slight + i guess.
actual extreme weather conditions like snow is another matter, I would keep your car tucked away until that sort of weather blows over.

edit: oops, pretty much repeated what Aphinity said, we're just to quick to respond ah well