Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RD/Richey Racing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Did anyone ahve a problem with there engine staying tuned. It seems no matter what I do the engine runs lean and hot. Did any one have a problem with the carb or is it just me?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dreddlox
Did anyone ahve a problem with there engine staying tuned. It seems no matter what I do the engine runs lean and hot. Did any one have a problem with the carb or is it just me?
I have been having similar problems like you. In Texas, the temp/humidity changes can be dramatic but I still have the same problems as you. I have even shimmed the motor (0.2mm shim) but still I can't get the motor to perform unless it is around 260 to 270 degrees. I was thinking about changing the carb to the trusty Novarossi MT12 on like I did with my older Sirio motors. It fixed those and they run strong at my local club tracks.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JLock
I have been having similar problems like you. In Texas, the temp/humidity changes can be dramatic but I still have the same problems as you. I have even shimmed the motor (0.2mm shim) but still I can't get the motor to perform unless it is around 260 to 270 degrees. I was thinking about changing the carb to the trusty Novarossi MT12 on like I did with my older Sirio motors. It fixed those and they run strong at my local club tracks.
Hey JLock - I had a similar problem. The needle valve is so hard to turn that the o-ring was binding and when adjusted, put a "slight" tear in the o-ring. This oring debris was lodged in the adjustment barrel and the car would not start eventually. You might check and blow out the needle valve assembly. Just an idea...
Old 06-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Carb

Originally Posted by JLock

Changing to the Nova carb makes it much easier to tune. The stock carb is overly sensitive.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:57 AM
Tech Addict

Mine had a defective top speed needle which wouldn't restrict the flow correctly. Even with the needle closed fully the engine would run rich.

I took the needle from my HPI .12R XS and all is well.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

I contacted the Tech Department at RD, and they told me to send the motor back to them. In which case they'll either repair it or replace it. I just want it to run right what ever the end result.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Can someone please tell me what the stock needle settings are for this engine?

BB
Old 08-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

What temp are you guys running your engines at? I've been getting some really good run times with the engine running at about 235-240. Is that the range that you guys are at?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Addict

Yup. I run about 235 - 245 and get about 6 - 7 minutes of racing per tank