RD/Richey Racing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

how about carb size it says 5.5mm on rd site we need 5.4mm
Old 11-11-2004, 03:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default nitro

Motorman, we in Europe mostly run with a max. of 16% nitro. Will the engine run well also? Any mods required?
Old 11-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Head Clearance

Hi motorman

would like to find out, is it ok to use .35mm head clearance for 16% nitro at sea level with 6tf plug???

thanks in advance
Old 11-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I got my R3 short rod motor delivered a couple of days ago. It all looks pretty sweet. I too dismantled the motor for a quick inspection to make sure there were no probs. The only think I found inside was a small piece of the packing foam (it would have burnt right up if I had run it so I don't see it as a problem).

I'll be making sure I get it broken in before next weekend's race meeting over here in Western Australia.

Dennis, can you provide any advice with regard to the Nitro TC3 header and pipe? I'll be running 16% nitro and a #7 plug, I was also thinking of removing one of the shims from the motor before winding it up after break in. Sound about right?

As a side note, Australia now has an RD Logics distributor and if anyone is looking for one of these motors (or any other RD equipment) I can put them onto the distributor. I think he has 2 left in stock after the pre orders were shipped.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What happened to the chat forum Fridays? Or am I in the wrong thread?
Old 11-13-2004, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sorry guy I've been out a bit.

NeRacer and Zoom: Yes remove the copper shim under the silver one.

Zoom: use the associated two chamber pipe or the RD. In the event you use the associated shorten the header 1/4 inch and butt the pipe to the header. Plug the stock pressure hole and drill a new one in the second chamber towards the end of the pipe and take your tank pressure from there. Also I highly recommend the K factory fuel tank on the NTC3. It will give you consistant tuning you won't ever get with the stock tank.

Cartman: the precise bore is actually .210 or 5.33MM The engine is ifmar legal. Even if it wasn't a Novarossi carb drops right in.

Nuno: If your rules allow blending the turbo cut of the crank can be done. However it will be EFRA illegal but still IFMAR legal

RoyU:
i moved it to saturday at 6:00 PM Eastern time however I will be out tonight so see you next week. Last week no one showed so I hung for an hour and split.

Last edited by Motorman; 11-13-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Motorman

Cartman: the precise bore is actually .210 or 5.33MM The engine is ifmar legal. Even if it wasn't a Novarossi carb drops right in.

Cheers its 5.4mm our max,
Old 11-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ok
I'm going to explain what is going on in the clearest way I can so that everyone understands what is going on while protecting the integrity of the engines.

There are two engines that we intend to sell to the public.

The first engine is the one we have been working on for two long years

It was to be built a firm in taiwan. it is a long rod 12 engine
specs. It is a brand new ground up engine

13.98 MM bore
14.06 MM Stroke
Long connecting Rod
3 port with RTU gen6 style porting and timing with full cnc blending
12 MM 4340 billet steel crank RTU gen6 fully blended and radiused on a cnc. RTUgen6 timing
fully blended turbo cut on a cnc
conventional turbo and standard head buttons
2 needle carburetor similar to an os carb. to be scrapped in favor of a three needle design

The development of this engine is done as far as I am concerned and anyone who has seen one or driven on will tell you they really cook. However during the development we have had issues and still do getting the manufacturer to produce it. they just cant seem to get it together. So a couple weeks ago a decision was made to transfer the production to another firm. We did all the development on the engine so as far as we are concerned we own it. This obviously will take a few months as the new firm will have to redraw all the parts for us and make new dies set up machines etc. At this time we are confident that the new firm will step up and we also are sure we will recieve an even higher quality product in the end. This engine has yet to be NAMED.

The other engine
13.80 MM bore
14.04 MM Stroke
short rod
stepped steel crank
our timing and fit specs
3 needle carb

In not wanting to put all the eggs in one basket we have been working with another manufacturer in taiwan to launch a short rod 12 engine. we had some initial performance issues during summer testing but those are solved and testing of the short rod motor is showing to be good enough that our version (we asked for a number of changes internally) is on order and some are comming in as we speak. They have made the changes I asked for and these will be sold as Richey Racing Engines also with the RD logics logo on them. These will be based on an STS block and crank but will be different enough we will market them as new engines. This is similar to an serpent picco situation. thats the best way to describe it. These are the R3 and R5 engines. you should see these pop up on the RD site in a week or so.

Hopefully this sheds some light on the subject for you
Dennis- is there a typo on the specs?

13.98mm bore
14.06mm stroke
displacement= 2.158 cc's or 0.1320 cu/inches

13.80mm bore
14.04mm stroke
displacement= 2.100 cc's or 0.1280 cu/ inches

ROAR rules allow a max of 0.1290 cu/ inches on all .12 size engines.

IFMAR rules allow 2.11 cc's.

I guess the long rod engine will not be IFMAR or ROAR legal??

Last edited by cdelong; 11-13-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes there is.
I fat fingered a number or two as I was drawing those numbers from memory while away from home. Both engines are legally 12's and pass specs. both engines have been checked at roar national events for displacement and passed no issues.

sorry for any confusion this may have caused
Old 11-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

sorry guy I've been out a bit.

NeRacer and Zoom: Yes remove the copper shim under the silver one.

thanks Dennis

But If just the silver shims there then I have 0.5mm head clearance in total is about 0.019inch right?

I thought we would safe to use 0.012 for 16%
Old 11-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RoyU:
i moved it to saturday at 6:00 PM Eastern time however I will be out tonight so see you next week. Last week no one showed so I hung for an hour and split.
Hmmmmmm, 6pm eastern is 1pm for me I thought I could've caught up on some reading...oh well. Anyways, got to work on Saturdays.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

yes there is.
I fat fingered a number or two as I was drawing those numbers from memory while away from home. Both engines are legally 12's and pass specs. both engines have been checked at roar national events for displacement and passed no issues.

sorry for any confusion this may have caused
Glad to hear that it was only a typo. I'm holding out for the long rod engine.

Here's to hoping someday I can slap Richey .21 in my on-road car.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Tech Addict

Default New Engine

Hi all i will be in the US soon and i want to purchase a RD engine but i have no clue on which one to get?

I am running a Serpent 710 and it has to be a .12 3 PORT Turbo, and we run 16% fuel over here.
We dont have large tracks over here and i have a JP, MAX and a Novarossi RRL3 (which seems to be the motor of choice)
Nobody runs RD engines over here except in buggys and none of the hobby shops stock them. So here it is i want something quick and i dont mind spending the money for quality (and speed!)

P.S i was thinking of a..... RBC17000435 3 Port Turbo Rody modified .12 SG crank and slide carb
Turbo plug

Last edited by Brett.w; 11-15-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: New Engine

Originally posted by Brett.w
Hi all i will be in the US soon and i want to purchase a RD engine but i have no clue on which one to get?

I am running a Serpent 710 and it has to be a .12 3 PORT Turbo, and we run 16% fuel over here.
We dont have large tracks over here and i have a JP, MAX and a Novarossi RRL3 (which seems to be the motor of choice)
Nobody runs RD engines over here except in buggys and none of the hobby shops stock them. So here it is i want something quick and i dont mind spending the money for quality (and speed!)

P.S i was thinking of a..... RBC17000435 3 Port Turbo Rody modified .12 SG crank and slide carb
Turbo plug
Sorry about so many questions but were can i find this motor and how much is it?

1700-000445 525.00 Rody Roem Modified 3 Port V.12 Engine-turbo glow plug-composite carb
Old 11-16-2004, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: New Engine

Originally posted by Brett.w
Sorry about so many questions but were can i find this motor and how much is it?

1700-000445 525.00 Rody Roem Modified 3 Port V.12 Engine-turbo glow plug-composite carb
Go to 3hobby.com man ... there's a link to the "shop" for the engine. Quick! I'm told the queue is long!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.