R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   BYE BYE PICCO (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/325474-bye-bye-picco.html)

SERPENT7twenty 09-06-2009 11:22 PM

BYE BYE PICCO

4 Attachment(s)
So I've had a Picco Red Dot Evo3 in my Serpent for the past 1-1 1/2 months. SOB blew up on my a** today :confused::nod:

I've heard all the stories already about these motors .... but DAYMN :eek:LOL :lol:

Here is some history on the motor

Broke it in ... ran great
Change Connecting Rod before 1st gallon was finished (about 2 full fuel bottles of fuel left in that 1 gallon container)
Installed new Rod ... ran needles Rich ... 1 tank idle .. tuned it
Was using PowestMaster 30% Nitro 16% oil fuel ...
Motor was running strong ALL day today and just blew the blew on me
14th tank since connecting Rod was replaced and it blew today :confused:

Oh well ... I'm going to look into Novi, RB or a Maxy's motor next.

silverM3 09-07-2009 12:03 AM

Picco is well known for so so quality :eek:

Slo-MTX4 09-07-2009 12:04 AM

Got any pics of the head button underside and top of the piston?

LAM3SAUCE 09-07-2009 12:07 AM

RIP Picco motor!! :blush: , haha and i am the witness! :sneaky:

M7H 09-07-2009 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENT7twenty (Post 6310804)

Have seen the same happen to 2 nova engines this weekend, so good luck... ;)
But they where .21, not the same as yours...

I would look into the R&B, seen 1 this weekend reach 108 Kmh in a NT1....

nazwenhome 09-07-2009 08:53 AM

mostly a bit lean on bottom end and a combination of bad luck picco con rod.

SERPENT7twenty 09-07-2009 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Slo-MTX4 (Post 6310904)
Got any pics of the head button underside and top of the piston?

I will take some later tonight. I'm probably going to pick up a few motors this time around for back up etc etc...maybe a 1 or 2 Maxy's or Novi motors for race day and a Picco JL TUNED Evo3 for pratice.

Bundy_Bear 09-08-2009 02:45 AM

Ouch... I have a JL Evo 2 and i can'r get the bottom end right, it just keeps running on. I have stopped using it cause i am afraid of this happening!

M7H 09-08-2009 05:05 AM

as spotted by somebody in another topic, what did you do with the engine?
If I look at this picture, it is not surprising me that the rod let go...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...-blown-004.jpg

G87z 09-08-2009 10:54 AM

I must say that looks exactly like the pics of my picco from last season when it blew up. same side of the case and all... WOW

Originally Posted by SERPENT7twenty (Post 6310804)
So I've had a Picco Red Dot Evo3 in my Serpent for the past 1-1 1/2 months. SOB blew up on my a** today :confused::nod:

I've heard all the stories already about these motors .... but DAYMN :eek:LOL :lol:

Here is some history on the motor

Broke it in ... ran great
Change Connecting Rod before 1st gallon was finished (about 2 full fuel bottles of fuel left in that 1 gallon container)
Installed new Rod ... ran needles Rich ... 1 tank idle .. tuned it
Was using PowestMaster 30% Nitro 16% oil fuel ...
Motor was running strong ALL day today and just blew the blew on me
14th tank since connecting Rod was replaced and it blew today :confused:

aussies1129 09-08-2009 11:34 PM

look at the colour of that rod its looks to have encountered some high temperatures??:confused:

lastsun 09-09-2009 01:14 AM

this is just human nature.

when those top F1 team had a engine failure, people would just say it bad luck, but if it the lower team had engine failure, people will just say the team's engine is weak...

hahaha

Ruune 09-11-2009 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by M7H (Post 6315760)
as spotted by somebody in another topic, what did you do with the engine?
If I look at this picture, it is not surprising me that the rod let go...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...-blown-004.jpg

good lord... how rich was this thing running? All those black deposits are from either running REALLY rich, cheap lubricants, or both. I'm betting both. As we all know, solids and liquids arent compressable like gasses are. So, the parafen (wax lubricant) deposits built up on the crank, top of the piston, cylinder head button, glow plug, etc. Compounded by the excess (unburned) fuel and lubricant in the combustion chamber, reduced the compressable volume. This increased the compression ratio and placed more stress on the conn rod, resulting in catastrophic failure.

BTW black deposits like that are from running too rich or to cool. Running too hot results in white ash or a rainbow discoloration of the metal parts, depending on the alloy used.

Just goes to show the importance of taking your time to get the tune right.

SERPENT7twenty 09-22-2009 10:19 AM

Ok, so we the help of some friends we figured out wtf happened to this Picco motor.

I'm a noob so GO EASY on me :lol:

Upon replacing my connecting rod I had mis-placed the shims. Causing the motors compression to rise to only God knows what level.

I had only put 1 shim back in :D

It was my fault why the motor took a dump. As far as all the grease and what not around the motor when it blew I the gasket for the header had ripped about 9-10 tanks prior and I just never replaced it :p

I'm stocked on motors for now but I'm switching up to either Novi or Max motors.

nazwenhome 09-22-2009 10:52 AM

good motor choice, just make sure double check your assembly