R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 09-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SERPENT7twenty View Post
Ok, so we the help of some friends we figured out wtf happened to this Picco motor.

I'm a noob so GO EASY on me

Upon replacing my connecting rod I had mis-placed the shims. Causing the motors compression to rise to only God knows what level.

I had only put 1 shim back in

It was my fault why the motor took a dump. As far as all the grease and what not around the motor when it blew I the gasket for the header had ripped about 9-10 tanks prior and I just never replaced it

I'm stocked on motors for now but I'm switching up to either Novi or Max motors.
hopefully it was FAST at least.
randay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #17
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

My motor bought around the same time as Jay(Serpent720) is still running strong.

I have three gallons through it. Raced the KO and bumped up twice in the mains. Raced the Toys For Tots and bumped up twice in the mains again.

I replaced the rod at or before the gallon is finished and I am on my third rod. The motor still has tons of compression. I am able to practically run one plug for an entire gallon. My only reason to switch plugs was only during the A-main when I switched it for a new one just to be safe.

The break-in process was effortless to begin with and was like that everytime I replaced the rod. I've never had such a fast motor that is so easy to run and maintain. I can't say the same for my experience with Nova motors. I will definitely get another Picco for my next engine.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This happens some time to engines. It is not like it was some sort of manufacturer defect that caused it. This has happened to me with Sirio, Novarossi, and OS engines. The more we push these engines to the very edge to get max performance, the more we shorten the life and open the envelope for engine failure at some point. The question is whether or not it is worth rebuilding or just purchasing the new one.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #19
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Looks like poor quality fuel. Way too many formed deposits in that crankcase indicating poor fuel quality. did you use after-run?
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdelong View Post
Looks like poor quality fuel. Way too many formed deposits in that crankcase indicating poor fuel quality. did you use after-run?
I did NOT take that great of care to this motor as my sched. at the time was very eratic.

I run POWERMASTER 30% which IMO the best fuel. My Nova 35+ motors are BEAUTIFUL on the inside.

This particular PICCO I posted on was not well taken care of by me at the time which in part also had to do with me.

Also did not help that the Shims were re-installed by me the wrong way

I'm positive it was not the fuel and I stand by POWERMASTER fuels as it has done nothing but given me great performance and excellent power and run time.
Kamikaze Development Driver - R&D = Rebuild & Destroy
SERPENT7twenty is offline   Reply With Quote