Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Does this look ok ? Need some thoughts pls >

Does this look ok ? Need some thoughts pls

Does this look ok ? Need some thoughts pls

Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Omarko
hi Andrew

hmmm ... I cant recall blowing a plug ... I did have a look on the liner and it seemed clean, but then again, I am no expert.

I'll try to give it a polish tonight ... is Brasso ok to use or do I have to use Autosol only ? I have a can of Brasso and plenty of super fine grit sandpaper that I used on my waterblocks and when I lapped my CPU.

if I get stuck, I'll just use the little Nova I have for the Sunday race and bring the 12TZ for you to have a look when you have a sec.
Hey Alex i think i remember you blew a plug at the state tittles earlier in the year and since you haven't done any racing since maybe it happened back then and you only found it now.............maybe.

Have you ran the motor since polishing it?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tl2111
Head shims wise .2mm is fine for us with 16% and you should you use 7 plug. make sure you leave bottom end needle flush with the housing TZ dont like bottom end lean at all(leave it alone) depends on what pipe you are using top end needle is about 1.75-2 turns out from fully close.

come and see me on Sunday I will try tune it for you. btw make sure clutch is set probably!

Tom
if you could help me out on Sunday , that would be fantastic.

bit more information:

- have always been using plug P6 (that's what I have been told to use at my lhs when I bought it) so that's all I have at the moment, I will buy some P7 plugs before the weekend if I get a chance

- bottom end needle untouched, sems perfectly flush

- top end needle is at 2.2 turns from full close

- pipe is OS Tuned 1050 SC

- clutch ! oh gosh ... this is a whole another story, I have spent 1.5 hour on it last Sunday but not 100% sure if I got it right, I have a feeling that the black spring may be too hard (with yellow shoe) so yeah this may need more work

Originally Posted by TomB
also check you don't have a lot of play in the conrod at TDC. the only time i pitted a head is when i had excessive conrod play and this caused me to get the plug sucked in.
good point, Im not sure how to check that so I'll come and seek out your help this Sunday if you have time

guys, I really appreciate all the help and advice, thank you very much.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

just polished the piston...

before look :

after look :

the sleeve looks ok to me :

thoughts ?
Geez Alex are you working under the cover of darkness there??????

The piston looks ok. Its not the liner that you need to check its the side of the piston for scratches. If there are no scratches you should be ok.

Looks like you will have plenty of help on Sunday.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by freestyles
Hey Alex i think i remember you blew a plug at the state tittles earlier in the year and since you haven't done any racing since maybe it happened back then and you only found it now.............maybe.

Have you ran the motor since polishing it?
yeah I remember now! you are right ...

no I have not ran the motor yet, can't really do it where I live so it will have to wait till Sunday.

Originally Posted by barg
Geez Alex are you working under the cover of darkness there??????

The piston looks ok. Its not the liner that you need to check its the side of the piston for scratches. If there are no scratches you should be ok.

Looks like you will have plenty of help on Sunday.
lol, I used my maglite to take those photos as it was much better than the flash on the camera ... hehe

yeah, the sides of the piston look ok ...

lets see how she goes on Sunday and if there is any life left in it ... dont really have spare $600 on new engine and pipe after splurging all that cash on the new NT1 and spares ..
Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

yeah I remember now! you are right ...

no I have not ran the motor yet, can't really do it where I live so it will have to wait till Sunday.

lol, I used my maglite to take those photos as it was much better than the flash on the camera ... hehe

yeah, the sides of the piston look ok ...

lets see how she goes on Sunday and if there is any life left in it ... dont really have spare $600 on new engine and pipe after splurging all that cash on the new NT1 and spares ..
Did you polish the head button as well?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

DITTO...Polish the button head
Old 08-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

thats another question I have actually about that ...

the head button is too hard to polish in the concave chamber area where the plug is sticking out.

I can polish the ring bottom surface area though ... the only question I have is I noticed it is not flat ... so when I ran it on the sandpaper, I saw the sides of the ring being polished, but not the whole surface so I was not sure if I should continue ...

thoughts ? I can post some photos tonight to illustrate what I mean if that helps ...
Old 08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

the head button is too hard to polish in the concave chamber area where the plug is sticking out.

I can polish the ring bottom surface area though ... the only question I have is I noticed it is not flat ... so when I ran it on the sandpaper, I saw the sides of the ring being polished, but not the whole surface so I was not sure if I should continue ...

thoughts ? I can post some photos tonight to illustrate what I mean if that helps ...
you want the head button to keep its sharp edge.
i was told by rody roem not to touch the head button but also told by ron paris its ok to clean it up but make sure it keeps its sharp edge
Old 08-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

I'm not sure how I can keep the sharp edge .. its too small and would be extremely difficult to make same conical angle it has atm if I start polishing / sand papering it.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm not sure how I can keep the sharp edge .. its too small and would be extremely difficult to make same conical angle it has atm if I start polishing / sand papering it.
button head is cheap.. get a new one.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Alex,

What i do is to rip a small piece of the wet and dry sandpaper about 1 or 2cm long and work it with your finger. I usually try and squish it into a little ball to do inside where the plug goes.

As the others have said try not to take the edge off. Dont try and sand it flat on a bench. You will stuff it.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Alex,

What i do is to rip a small piece of the wet and dry sandpaper about 1 or 2cm long and work it with your finger. I usually try and squish it into a little ball to do inside where the plug goes.

As the others have said try not to take the edge off. Dont try and sand it flat on a bench. You will stuff it.

I put an old glow in it and then chuck it in a drill; spin is slowly. I use dry wall sanding paper (looks like a sponge with fine grit sand paper on it) once it fairly smooth I then polish it.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

ok, I'll try that tonight, thanks for the tip ... I'll take my time ....

Im also going to give Ari a buzz and see how much a head button for this engine is (got it from him).

I'll post some pics tonight again after its done ...
Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 AM
Tech Regular

I tried to polish off the button head but did not get too far ...

its approx $50 btw ouch ...

lets see how it goes on Sunday in the current state ...

btw if I continue using P6 plug, what impact will that have ?

ta
Old 08-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

I tried to polish off the button head but did not get too far ...

its approx $50 btw ouch ...

lets see how it goes on Sunday in the current state ...

btw if I continue using P6 plug, what impact will that have ?

ta
p6 should be fine... however p7 will give you more top and less prone to detonation than p6.
just remember to rich yr hsn about an hour...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.