Temp gun questions??

Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Default Temp gun questions??

I want a gun that has a piece that fits right on the plug to guarantee I get a accurate reading every time.I saw a gun but it was like 300 bucks that has a piece that goes right on the plug.I dont trust one with a laser pointer,they arent that accurate when you factor in user error.You can move a gun from head to plug and see a difference,I want something exact where the reading is foolproof like the gun I saw with a tip that fits a plug tightly so there is no chance of a bad reading.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

OFNA PCR Temperature Probe

Used to read temperature on both nitro engines and electric motors.
Measurement Range -24.4 to 428°F (-33 to 220°C)
Operating Range 14 to 122°F (-10 to 50°C)
Accuracy +/-2% or 4°F (2°C)
Resolution 0.1°F (0.1°F)
Mode Real Time Maximum Display
Features Large LCD Display with Backlight
Battery Life 25hr Continuous Operation
Power Off Time 60 sec.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...oducts_id=8694

$29.95
Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

So I guess the cone on the end of the gun just sits atop the head and is meant to guide the beam not to sit right on top of the plug.Still doesnt seem too accurate to me.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Lord

http://www.infernosonly.com/Exergen_...p/exedx501.htm
Old 08-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have one of those exergen temp guns got it for $200 used. I carry it with me ALL the time never put it down. My other $40 axial temp gun works just as good maybe 2 or 3 degrees off at the most. But there are some temp guns out there that are 20 to 30 degress off now that's bad!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default exergen

in my humble opinion if you are paranoid about the integrity of temp guns, just suck it up and push the boat out and spend the money that needs spending on an exergen.

it is a lifetime investment and not to mention a guarantee of consitant temp readings which equals peace of mind when tuning valuable engines

Old 08-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kurtcash
in my humble opinion if you are paranoid about the integrity of temp guns, just suck it up and push the boat out and spend the money that needs spending on an exergen.

it is a lifetime investment and not to mention a guarantee of consitant temp readings which equals peace of mind when tuning valuable engines

X2

That's exactly right! if you are runnig a $500 engine you better make sure your temp gun is reading accurately. Exergen Temp guns are the best ones out there period.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Do it like the pros, run the engine and then put some saliva on the cooling head and see how fast it evaporates
Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Gonzo RR
I have one of those exergen temp guns got it for $200 used. I carry it with me ALL the time never put it down. My other $40 axial temp gun works just as good maybe 2 or 3 degrees off at the most. But there are some temp guns out there that are 20 to 30 degress off now that's bad!!!
if its consistent few numbers off its acceptable. simple maths would do the trick.but inconsistency is so terrifying.