R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Like Tree32Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #1456
Tech Apprentice
 
antoine80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 94
Default Engine rear ball bearing

hi guys,

i purchased the rear ball bearing to update the one that it is currently in my engine (12LL5). i noticed althought that there is a rubber washer inside it. from which side of the engine should this be place? front side (the intake side) or rear when the conrod is.

antony
antoine80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:40 AM   #1457
Tech Elite
 
suntok2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manila Philippines
Posts: 2,412
Send a message via ICQ to suntok2 Send a message via AIM to suntok2 Send a message via Yahoo to suntok2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaalp
Hi guys,

What is the difference between N12LS3 and N12LL3? I got two tracks here, one is tight and technical, the other one is fast and furious so I am thinking about which engine to buy. I already have a N12LS3. Should I know buy the LL3? Waiting for your comments on their comparison. Thanks.
You can try the new Novarossi Plus 12-3.
suntok2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #1458
Tech Addict
 
Jammin'Trey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bennington, Ne
Posts: 404
Send a message via ICQ to Jammin'Trey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaalp
Hi guys,

What is the difference between N12LS3 and N12LL3? I got two tracks here, one is tight and technical, the other one is fast and furious so I am thinking about which engine to buy. I already have a N12LS3. Should I know buy the LL3? Waiting for your comments on their comparison. Thanks.
The only difference is the crank the LL3 has a knife edge at the leading part...(I don't know if one is microcast or not though..)
Jammin'Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #1459
Tech Apprentice
 
antoine80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 94
Default rear ball bearing..

again with the ball bearings how to remove the rear ball bearing to replace it with the new one.????

i warmed the engine at ~90-100C but i can not remove it, it has moved a bit and then stoped. i don't know how to remove it totally..


any help would be apreciated..

antonys
antoine80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #1460
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin'Trey
The only difference is the crank the LL3 has a knife edge at the leading part...(I don't know if one is microcast or not though..)

The LS3 is a short stroke = high revs = big track
The LL3 is a long stroke = high torque = short, technical tracks.

Btw, the Mugen X12 was a regular NSR12S3, short stroke, microcast piston.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #1461
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoine80
again with the ball bearings how to remove the rear ball bearing to replace it with the new one.????

i warmed the engine at ~90-100C but i can not remove it, it has moved a bit and then stoped. i don't know how to remove it totally..


any help would be apreciated..

antonys
Heat it up even more, 120 -130C, wear a heat resistant glove, take the engine and knock it on a flat wooden surface with the rear opening to the table. Usually the bearing just falls out. Once the rear bearing is out, heat up the engine again and now use something made of wood or plastic and push the front bearing out from behind.

To put the new bearings in, place the bearings in the freezer for a few hours, then heat up the crankcase again and they will fall in place.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #1462
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,145
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaalp
Hi guys,

What is the difference between N12LS3 and N12LL3? I got two tracks here, one is tight and technical, the other one is fast and furious so I am thinking about which engine to buy. I already have a N12LS3. Should I know buy the LL3? Waiting for your comments on their comparison. Thanks.

Well here comes a third answer to this question. I know that the first answer was incorrect.

The LS version engine is a short stroke engine. The mugen X12 is also a short stroke engine. The LL is a long stroke engine. Long stroke engines should give more bottom end power. There was a lot of discussion regarding these two engines, and I ended up coming to the same conclusion that many others came to. The LL did not perform as well as the LS. I found my LS and LL to have the same amount of bottom end but the LS had better top end power.

In theory though, you would use the LL on the short tight track and use the LS on the fast and furious track. After owning and running both I would not get the LL.

The mugen x12 was based on the NS engine which is a machined (not microcast) piston
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #1463
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 134
Default

yes X12's had billet pistons as did NS12S3's
Motorman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #1464
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin'Trey
The conicle headers were supposed to be less flowing resistance.... Dunno about the plug, it has shiny on top
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #1465
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
........
In theory though, you would use the LL on the short tight track and use the LS on the fast and furious track. After owning and running both I would not get the LL.
Yup, I have LL5 too, it sucks at top speed compare to NSR S5.

However, you could increase the size of pinion and decrease the spur gear to compensate it.
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #1466
Tech Elite
 
HarKonnenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,024
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Default

How is the fuel mileage on say a properly tuned NSR engine and or N12LL3? I may pick one up brand new. Anyone run either one of these with Vantage pipe? I know one guy who does, but he can't seem to get it tuned right therefore now allowing me to see the NSR in action.
__________________
Trying to live every day like its the last....
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #1467
Tech Apprentice
 
antoine80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Heat it up even more, 120 -130C, wear a heat resistant glove, take the engine and knock it on a flat wooden surface with the rear opening to the table. Usually the bearing just falls out. Once the rear bearing is out, heat up the engine again and now use something made of wood or plastic and push the front bearing out from behind.

To put the new bearings in, place the bearings in the freezer for a few hours, then heat up the crankcase again and they will fall in place.
ok i removed it finally i put the engine in a small oven and heated up to ~130C the ball bearing felt over its initial position. i just "managed" to hurt the internal part of the engine in the place where the end cup is inserted. the ball bearing seemed to be wider than the engine opening.. i hope i haven't made too much damage. i will take a photo of it and send a pic to you
antoine80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #1468
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
How is the fuel mileage on say a properly tuned NSR engine and or N12LL3? I may pick one up brand new. Anyone run either one of these with Vantage pipe? I know one guy who does, but he can't seem to get it tuned right therefore now allowing me to see the NSR in action.
I can't answer this but I can share some story from my recent race in Futaba Open 2006 : My friend ( experience driver ) have LL3 and he switched to JP FX3 because he could not make it 5 minutes with LL3 during practice day.

I suggest the NSR S3, hopefully you get S5 for more top speed.
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #1469
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
I can't answer this but I can share some story from my recent race in Futaba Open 2006 : My friend ( experience driver ) have LL3 and he switched to JP FX3 because he could not make it 5 minutes with LL3 during practice day.

I suggest the NSR S3, hopefully you get S5 for more top speed.
I ran a heavily modified RR12L3,which is basically the same engine in the shorter case and made 5 minutes easy
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #1470
Tech Addict
 
Jammin'Trey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bennington, Ne
Posts: 404
Send a message via ICQ to Jammin'Trey
Default

My NSR gets good fuel milage, makes 5 minutes every time with enough left for 1-1 1/2 more laps...
But i run a RD logics 22064 pipe.....

Anybody know where I can get a tuned N12LS3 ?

I finally realized this... Novarossi knifeedged the crank on the LL3 because its a longstroke and needs more RPMs... As they didn't do this on the LS3 because its a shortstroke, it already has planty rpms.

Last edited by Jammin'Trey; 06-07-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Jammin'Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sirio engines thread EVOLUTION Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 2824 04-29-2014 10:58 AM
Axial Engines thread Axial Racing Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 164 10-06-2008 05:48 PM
RB engines thread CraigM Nitro Off-Road 7 01-05-2008 10:57 AM
JP Engines Thread DOMOisCOOL Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 2 02-16-2004 05:00 AM
OS engines thread EVOLUTION Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 44 02-11-2004 06:28 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
lil-bump
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:34 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net