R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Like Tree34Likes

Old 08-31-2005, 08:13 PM   #916
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

u r a rc idol, it had the aluminum one there but no others. i put the midrange needle flush with the carb and will tune it some tomorow. i just need to print out what u said to do when it is hot and humid.
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:35 PM   #917
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to Krasi_5000

hey guys,
Im new on rctech and it looks like a huge and very helpful site. I have a NTC3 with a OS .12 TR 3 port. I got into racing about 2 months ago and i absolutly love it and im hooked. Made B main my second race. But i have decided the TR with 5 gallons on it is just not cutting it anymore and want something better. Right now im looking at the OS .12 TZ 5 port and Novarossi.

What i want to ask here is WHY are there so many different novarossi engines all so similar, there is NS12S3/S5, NSR12S3/S5, RR12L3/L5, N12LS3/LS5, N12LL3/LL5. They all have similar HP and RPM ratings but i guess each one IS different. I would like to know what would you guys/gals recommend for a pretty short technical track. Also what is the biggest difference between the 3 ports and 5 which has more punch or rpm what would be good? A few fellow racers are saying Novarossis are finiky and you need to screw with it all day and you still can't get it right. They also say that expensive engines like novarossi dont like regular fuel like Sidewinder very much, they say you need Tornado, Odonnel etc is that also true?
Also any comments on the OS .12 TZ 5 port?

I been bashing for 3 years but just now getting into racing and well...im a noob to racing so any help would be good.

THANKS!
Krasi_5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #918
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The NSR series replaced NS.

The RR series is the long stroke, suppose to give you more torque

The LS replaced the NSR

The LL replaced the RR

They are all good and anyone of them will give you more power overall than the OS TR.

5 ports breaths a bit better and give you a little more top end but it's not legal for sanctioned racing (might be okay for club racing).

Sidewinder will work fine. Don't believe everything you hear. These engines are no harder to tune than any other engine and are very well made with top notch materials that will last you longer than the OS if properly broken in and taken care of.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:00 PM   #919
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasi_5000
I would like to know what would you guys/gals recommend for a pretty short technical track. Also what is the biggest difference between the 3 ports and 5 which has more punch or rpm what would be good?
I will go with the RR or LL series, they are long stroke, lots of bottom end.
5 ports has more top end, for short track I think that 3 ports is better.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:03 PM   #920
Tech Elite

Anyone here tried the new 21 Plus 5 or Plus 7? How do they compare with the 321 and the 421? Thanks!
Old 08-31-2005, 11:25 PM   #921
Tech Champion

For short and medium technical track : Novarossi N12LL3/LL5 (new engine & more expensive) or RR12L3/L5 (older but cheaper). They are long stroke engines capable of producing more torque to accelerate at short distances.

Choosing 3 ports or 5 ports ? I think you need to ask race event organisers what type of ports shall be use during race. Mostly they don't care but sometimes they do. 3 ports have better fuel economy while 5 ports produce more power but less fuel economy.

Tornado fuel, O'donnell fuel ? you got premium brand of fuels. I switch back and forth between the two and hardly see any performance difference. Here is the bottom line, premium brand fuels have top grade ingridients to keep your engine cleaner and better lubrication at high temp.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:37 AM   #922
Tech Rookie

thanks for the very useful information. The track where i race at do NOT care about ports. I guess the guy that ran Sidewinder in his novarossi must of been using backyard basher or something because he said it gums up the inside, no power etc. i will stick with sidewinder race then. I guess maybe the guy is saying novarossi is hard to tune because he doesnt want me to blow him away on the track . I guess i will think about the port thing.

EDIT: i know ANY of those engines will give more power than my TR...but how would they compare to the .12 TZ???

Another few questions...
1) What temp do novarossis like to run? or like whats the MAX temp you would wanna see on your gauge?
2) About how many gallons would/could a novarossi last under race conditions?
Im new to the racing, i have 5 gallons on the TR and its starting to go but somehow i feel racing will accelerate the wear and tear quite a bit?
comment: i sure hope they last long because TZ p/s is about $50, for a novarossi its about $100+.

THANKS again guys!

Last edited by Krasi_5000; 09-01-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #923
Tech Elite

Krasi, there is no way to answer your question. How long the engine will last varies by engine, how you broke it in. and how you take care of it. The same applies to the temperature. I have Nova (or Nova based RB's JP's) that runs happily all day at 250F but also others that runs at 180F.

I believe Nova engines are of very high quality and all things being equal it will last as long or probably longer than any other brands in the market. The TZ has good power and can run with the Nova's but I personally would pay a bit more and get the Nova.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #924
Tech Rookie

ok thanks. I guess from here on I am on my own in deciding which one to get and Im responsible how long it will last.

Thanks and i will let you know which one i get in a few months. Around xmas is when im getting it. Until then gonna read up on the forums here.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #925
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Blue Sky
Default Engine cleaning/rebuild

What is the best solvent for cleaning the internals of the engine? I'm rebuilding mine and want to clean the gunk inside. Thanks.
Blue Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:42 PM   #926
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky
What is the best solvent for cleaning the internals of the engine? I'm rebuilding mine and want to clean the gunk inside. Thanks.
I'd just use fuel.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:53 AM   #927
Tech Apprentice

Default hi!

hi! I just wanted your opinions on these two engines. Which one is better?

novarossi NSR12 S5 vs. sirio S12 TUP EVO2
nemo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:19 AM   #928
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to suntok2 Send a message via AIM to suntok2 Send a message via Yahoo to suntok2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo812
hi! I just wanted your opinions on these two engines. Which one is better?

novarossi NSR12 S5 vs. sirio S12 TUP EVO2

Both are good but the life span of Nova are longer
suntok2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:13 AM   #929
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default venturis

afm: thanx alot for ur full explaination. just to inform u that from my findings, running without the venturis is only applicable for small or medium track. if i race in the long/bigger track, i will use the 6.4mm venturis. the funny thing is, using venturis less fuel consumption but without it more fuel consumption. it's contradict with ur statement. anyway enjoy our race.. thanx again
Mie3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #930
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Anyway, Mie3R ? How's Malaysia ? I'm from Jakarta..[/QUOTE]

hi asw7576. malaysia is ok now. back to normal from the haze prob. thanx also 4 ur explaination. i'm planning to participate in the buggy race at Malang next year. this year i missed bcoz of my passport is expired without my notice.
Mie3R is offline   Reply With Quote