R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2004, 07:39 AM   #376
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

I'm sorry if someone already asked this question, but does Nova NS/NSR pistons and sleeves are perfect fit or compatible with their previous S version? Thanks...
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:36 PM   #377
Tech Adept
 
GAMBO94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PUERTO RICO USA
Posts: 136
Default

Just got my Mugen X-12 Today,
but the engine comes with a standard head button,,
can i change it to a Turbo button,if so,will it performe better
GAMBO94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 02:34 PM   #378
Tech Master
 
gentleman81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: VA Baby
Posts: 1,657
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

where is the best place to get novas cheap?
__________________
MTX4R/PICCO(Trophy Taker) - SERP 950/SIRIO(Board Breaker)
PHI '08 - to be announced.....
www.vorra.org - ironbridgesportspark.com - 301raceway*4LIFE*.com
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:01 PM   #379
Tech Elite
 
fastharry™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Posts: 2,846
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default

heres a quick question.....How much faster are the Mugen x12's than a ns 3 port nova...

I can buy a nova for 230....and a Mugen for 280....

worth the extra bucks?...
__________________
www.fastharry.com---search "fastharry" on facebook
See Fastharry in Super Nitro racing at the HPI CHALLENGE...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzo-cBEnE0c
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:47 PM   #380
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Just been breaking in my NS12 S3 (not NSR). Man is it just me or are these things badass tight?? My V12 was nowhere as tight. Anybody else experience similar?
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #381
Tech Elite
 
fastharry™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Posts: 2,846
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default

hey AMG..how do you like the V12?...i swore I'd never buy another RB)PIA to tune),but the v12 has me curious...its either the v12 3 port,ns3,or x12 mugen..
__________________
www.fastharry.com---search "fastharry" on facebook
See Fastharry in Super Nitro racing at the HPI CHALLENGE...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzo-cBEnE0c
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:04 PM   #382
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 783
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Just been breaking in my NS12 S3 (not NSR). Man is it just me or are these things badass tight?? My V12 was nowhere as tight. Anybody else experience similar?
Every NS !!
NSR piston just a "bit" better.
Must use high temp when break in.
In every 2 from 3 engine i have broke, i have to replace the con-rod.
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:04 PM   #383
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldFinger
Every NS !!
NSR piston just a "bit" better.
Must use high temp when break in.
In every 2 from 3 engine i have broke, i have to replace the con-rod.
I think the RR is a bit tight too compare to NSR, isn't it darling?
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:18 PM   #384
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

I didn't think our NSR was overly tight. I adopted a "don't baby it" approach to running it in and am very pleased with the engine.
I figure we had less luck with the RB V12 than AMG if I recall, but I would like to try the long stroke RR12, just for fun.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:33 PM   #385
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
hey AMG..how do you like the V12?...i swore I'd never buy another RB)PIA to tune),but the v12 has me curious...its either the v12 3 port,ns3,or x12 mugen..
The V12 is really nice. It is similar to the NS motors, but has less top end and better mid range. Good on a medium short track. Real easy to tune.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:35 PM   #386
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
I didn't think our NSR was overly tight. I adopted a "don't baby it" approach to running it in and am very pleased with the engine.
I figure we had less luck with the RB V12 than AMG if I recall, but I would like to try the long stroke RR12, just for fun.
Yep, I was just interested since the V12 broke in easy and most of the RS motors I have had were cake as well. This thing stuck in the bore half a dozen times before it got loose enough. I was wondering whether it was a freak or not.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:56 PM   #387
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Hmmm . . I'll have a guess and say it might be a suboptimal piston/bore fit.

I had a few sleeves pinched by osrocket and they were extremely tight, I thought. So much so that I had lots of "tinking" noise as the piston got caught at TDC. The "tinking" was most apparent when the engine was revving slowly, say, just before it was cutting out. The recently replaced rear bearing was toast.

I figured the stresses were rather more than I was happy with and ended up doing some amateur lapping of the piston with some paste type bath cleaner - took the piston up about .5mm to about 3.5mm. I was at it for ages with that bath cleaner.
I restarted the break in and it proceeded fine from there.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:04 AM   #388
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Hmmm . . I'll have a guess and say it might be a suboptimal piston/bore fit.

I had a few sleeves pinched by osrocket and they were extremely tight, I thought. So much so that I had lots of "tinking" noise as the piston got caught at TDC. The "tinking" was most apparent when the engine was revving slowly, say, just before it was cutting out. The recently replaced rear bearing was toast.

I figured the stresses were rather more than I was happy with and ended up doing some amateur lapping of the piston with some paste type bath cleaner - took the piston up about .5mm to about 3.5mm. I was at it for ages with that bath cleaner.
I restarted the break in and it proceeded fine from there.
I also had the "tinking" for around 30 seconds then it went away. I think I got a pretty tight one! Oh well better spend a bit longer running it in than usual.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:10 AM   #389
Tech Fanatic
 
finchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 808
Default

I've broken in many Nova engine now and I hate to say this but I've never replaced a rod after break in. I think this is a money spinning idea injected into our heads by the company and it's represententives. That's my 2 cents worth. All my engine have done well over 25 litres of fuel and not one ever had rod failure.
AMGRacer those NS3 are a tight motor from what I've seen at the track.
__________________
Pilot the BEST MUGEN kills the rest.
Team Ball Banger Racing inc.
OS Speed R2101
Futaba 3PK (HRS) - Crystals still rock.
Old School for Old Fools.
finchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:13 AM   #390
Tech Addict
 
jscamry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Oviedo,FL
Posts: 507
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry
Default

lol its funny how taylor and amg were speaking about the tinking sound ffrom the engines, that were pinched by osrocket my mt12 that I just had done is doing th e same thing, so this is ok? I have had some other engines worked by osrocket but those did not make the same sound it my memory serves me.

jason
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sirio engines thread EVOLUTION Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 2824 04-29-2014 10:58 AM
Axial Engines thread Axial Racing Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 164 10-06-2008 05:48 PM
RB engines thread CraigM Nitro Off-Road 7 01-05-2008 10:57 AM
JP Engines Thread DOMOisCOOL Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 2 02-16-2004 05:00 AM
OS engines thread EVOLUTION Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 44 02-11-2004 06:28 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
HBALLDAY
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:25 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net