R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #3481
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Welcome to the world of "Frankenstein"
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #3482
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
lol!
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #3483
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
Come on Sam it doesn't have to be pretty just as long as it works and it's fast. Shake and bake!!!!!!!!!!
HoboShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #3484
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna555 View Post
Seems to be alot of jpr03 talk and I had a couple of questions that I could not get an answer.

However when I look at r9/r7 I can not find similar nova crank or p/s set. Is it based of 35 plus?
All Nova (based) sleeves have an outside diameter of 19.5mm and will fit in any Nova based engine. I know RB is the only one with the location-pin in the upper edge placed on the other side but with a dremel a small sleeve is simple made to place the cilinder in the right way. Also the crankpin of RB is a tiny bit bigger than Novarossi but it is obvious you should use the conrod fitting the crankshaft..
So far I have seen are all intakes are almost the same. OK there are some minor differences in timings but there is no one that will give a bad running engine.

The only big difference you will find is the thickness of the upper edge on the cilinder, that edge can be 1.5mm or 2mm so you have to be sure the real head clearance is set to 0.6~0.7mm.
Other difference is the height of the exhaust port, normally for an onroad engine that is arround 7mm (from BDC to closing) but with the 35+ it is lower giving a better bottom power.

All crankshafts have almost the same timings so I expect no real issues.

I have puzzled some engines together with several parts (keeping piston with its sleeve) and all were running OK.

So yes, if you want a replacement P/S set for your expensive engine you can choose a cheaper one like the Kangaro, 321 or even N21-7T
Old 02-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #3485
Tech Champion

This evening I was busy fittng a 35+ sleeve into an old S21 crankcase of a 2003 JP Kangaroo. As mentioned in my previous post there are sleeves with a 2mm edge (like the 35+) and with a 1.5mm edge (my old JP Kangaroo).

Taking a look into the exhaust it was clear the sleeve did not fell deep enough, messuring the exhaust it came up to 7.6mm which does give me prove the sleeve is exactly placed 0.5mm to high.
I know the exhaust hight of 7.6mm will work as a GRP P/S set into a Nova crankcase came up to 7.7mm.
Only the intake raised by 0.5mm could be to much having influence on the consumption. But hey, I will try this for fun.

To make this fit right ypu have to make the edge smaller with a milling machie and in the other way you can fill up the under edge of the sleeve with shimrings.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #3486
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to sheeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
This evening I was busy fittng a 35+ sleeve into an old S21 crankcase of a 2003 JP Kangaroo. As mentioned in my previous post there are sleeves with a 2mm edge (like the 35+) and with a 1.5mm edge (my old JP Kangaroo).

Taking a look into the exhaust it was clear the sleeve did not fell deep enough, messuring the exhaust it came up to 7.6mm which does give me prove the sleeve is exactly placed 0.5mm to high.
I know the exhaust hight of 7.6mm will work as a GRP P/S set into a Nova crankcase came up to 7.7mm.
Only the intake raised by 0.5mm could be to much having influence on the consumption. But hey, I will try this for fun.

To make this fit right ypu have to make the edge smaller with a milling machie and in the other way you can fill up the under edge of the sleeve with shimrings.

Did you buy the under shims or make them?
sheeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #3487
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys,

Took my mates JP eagle apart for him and we noticed some scratching on the bottom of the conrod and the back plate, is this something should be worried about? if so what is the best way to cure the problem?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #3488
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeley View Post
Did you buy the under shims or make them?
I have played with undershims to raise sleeve for more performance and dremeled out a headshim to make it fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-RTR View Post
Hey guys,

Took my mates JP eagle apart for him and we noticed some scratching on the bottom of the conrod and the back plate, is this something should be worried about? if so what is the best way to cure the problem?
Scratches on the backplate made by the rod is normal
Old 02-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #3489
Tech Fanatic

Also we need to replace the conrod in the JP eagle and we have noticed the part no. is the same as the nova plus 12-3 conrod, aside from an "F" at the front of the JP part no. is it actually a different conrod to the plus 12-3(possible knife edging?). if it is different will it affect performance drastically by putting in the standard rod?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #3490
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-RTR View Post
Also we need to replace the conrod in the JP eagle and we have noticed the part no. is the same as the nova plus 12-3 conrod, aside from an "F" at the front of the JP part no. is it actually a different conrod to the plus 12-3(possible knife edging?). if it is different will it affect performance drastically by putting in the standard rod?
JP engines are manufactured by novarossi then modified by JP. check out the stroke, chances are it's the exact rod you need.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #3491
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
JP engines are manufactured by novarossi then modified by JP. check out the stroke, chances are it's the exact rod you need.
i know stroke/size is the same as its basically the same part no. but the JP rod has an F infront of the part no. I know back in the days when JP just modded Novas the conrods were knife edged etc.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #3492
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what is the part number for the conrod or flash .12 3 port tuned?

Is it the same as the 353 09 conrod? novarossi 7604?
silverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #3493
Tech Apprentice

Default Ebay

Where did you buy your nova rossi flash engines from.I seen a guy on ebay selling them brand new for 540.00 do you guys think it is safe
emancipation007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #3494
Tech Adept

hi to everyone, i hope anyone could help me clarifying this, i just remove and reinstall my engine bearings, but i'm having troubles with it, with the tuning, so i'm wondering if theres a chance that if the bearings are not 100% align the engine could has tuning issues?

do any of you know if this could be a reson so the engine wont tune at all?

thanx
mc_chofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #3495
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emancipation007 View Post
Where did you buy your nova rossi flash engines from.I seen a guy on ebay selling them brand new for 540.00 do you guys think it is safe
absolutehobbyz.com has them in stock for very good price.
Jamie Corrado is offline   Reply With Quote