R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Like Tree8Likes

Old 05-10-2004, 06:10 AM   #316
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by GAMBO94
OOPS,Sorry its the cranckshaft that broke not the conrod.
will Sirio parts fit in Nova Engines
NO!!! Sirio engines are all different sizes.
Any Nova based engine parts will do, but of course each brand has different timing on crank window, but they will fit.
AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:31 AM   #317
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
NO!!! Sirio engines are all different sizes.
Any Nova based engine parts will do, but of course each brand has different timing on crank window, but they will fit.
AFM
OK,Thanks...
GAMBO94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:31 AM   #318
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by GAMBO94
OK,Thanks...
One more thing, if you have one of the latest Nova based engines like NSR, or RBV12, Max. etc. the crank is 0.5 mm more in diameter so it only fits that series of engines. The old series Nova engines cranks are smaller in diameter, so watch out!!!!
AFM
Old 05-10-2004, 07:32 PM   #319
Tech Regular

Default Re: Old NovaMega engine question

Quote:
Originally posted by spenzalii
OK, I just bought my first Nova base engine. It looks like a NovaMega SX12 SE, but no telling if it's an Evo1 or Evo2 (the box or manual didn't come with it). For various reasons, I had to keep a side exhaust motor. Is there anything I need to be aware of with this engine? What temp ranges should I be looking for? And how do you tune the engine since it has two screws on the LSN? I'm used to dealing with OS carbs, so that puzzles me. I may send it out to get modded for a little more punch, especially since I'm not sure what the power rating or power band of this engine is.
To answer your question, The low speed needle is the one on the slide valve part of the carb. The high end is the usual upper needle. The idle is on the back of the carb off to the side I believe the left side when looking at the back. the needle directly on the back usually a copper gold colour is the fine adjustment needle which basically should be left alone.

Also to check if your motor is a evo-1 or evo-2 u could measure a few things or else for a good guess you could look at the date code underneath the motor mounts. If the date is 2000 or above it is probably a evo-2 1999 or below is most likely a Evo-1

Hope this helps
Greg
shortygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:03 PM   #320
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
You say Serpent has that nut I'm looking for? It the right size....big!
Yes they have a version of that same engine. They call it a "MCP"for "Micro Cast Piston" material. I don't remember teir nomenclature. I've just looked at their website and can't remember the engine that's their version.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:27 AM   #321
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii
Default Re: Re: Old NovaMega engine question

Quote:
Originally posted by shortygy
To answer your question, The low speed needle is the one on the slide valve part of the carb. The high end is the usual upper needle. The idle is on the back of the carb off to the side I believe the left side when looking at the back. the needle directly on the back usually a copper gold colour is the fine adjustment needle which basically should be left alone.

Also to check if your motor is a evo-1 or evo-2 u could measure a few things or else for a good guess you could look at the date code underneath the motor mounts. If the date is 2000 or above it is probably a evo-2 1999 or below is most likely a Evo-1

Hope this helps
Greg
It does indeed help. It looks like there's a 00 on the bottom of the mounts, so I'm guessing an Evo2. I most likely will send it out next week to a mod shop and see what they can do with it. I wonder if I should invest in another cooling head...

I'm planning on running 30% in the engine, most likely with the O'Donnell 1/10 plug. Should I add a head shim? Who carries them?

Last edited by spenzalii; 05-12-2004 at 11:06 AM.
spenzalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #322
Tech Master

Default Glow plug

I just got a Murnan X12 but I can't find a Nova 6 or 7 glow plugs anywhere I checked my local hobby shop and Tower and they aren't carrying them. Any suggestions on where I can find them or maybe a different plug to run. I can get OS # 8, A-5, A-3 or MC59 would any of these work? Suggestions would be great.
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:59 PM   #323
Tech Adept

Default Re: Glow plug

Quote:
Originally posted by Number 11
I just got a Murnan X12 but I can't find a Nova 6 or 7 glow plugs anywhere I checked my local hobby shop and Tower and they aren't carrying them. Any suggestions on where I can find them or maybe a different plug to run. I can get OS # 8, A-5, A-3 or MC59 would any of these work? Suggestions would be great.

www.ashfordhobby.com No online ordering, you got to call Robert to order but he has a lot in stock plus good price and super-fast shipping
cox049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:59 PM   #324
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Glow plug

Quote:
Originally posted by cox049
www.ashfordhobby.com No online ordering, you got to call Robert to order but he has a lot in stock plus good price and super-fast shipping
Cool thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 05:20 AM   #325
Tech Elite

Art. 08605

received the Novarossi piston and sleeve Art. 08605. is this art. no for NSR engine or T5 race?...
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 01:02 PM   #326
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Glow plug

One other question concerning the glow plug. How about using a O'Donnell 77 plug? I can find the turbo Nova plugs and I can order the non turbo Nova plugs locally but I won't get it until sometime next week and I have a race this week. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 04:19 PM   #327
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Glow plug

Quote:
One other question concerning the glow plug. How about using a O'Donnell 77 plug? I can find the turbo Nova plugs and I can order the non turbo Nova plugs locally but I won't get it until sometime next week and I have a race this week. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
O'DONNELL 77, is the best plug for non turbo applications, and i't's in the range of Nova 5 and 6 plugs, but definetely gives more power and stable idling. The O'DONNELL 99 would be in the range of Nova 7 and 8 plugs, for more nitro and more temperature.
Definetely go with them.
AFM
Old 05-13-2004, 06:03 PM   #328
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Glow plug

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
O'DONNELL 77, is the best plug for non turbo applications, and i't's in the range of Nova 5 and 6 plugs, but definetely gives more power and stable idling. The O'DONNELL 99 would be in the range of Nova 7 and 8 plugs, for more nitro and more temperature.
Definetely go with them.
AFM
Thanks afm I was looking for something that was the equivalant and I can get that plug locally.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #329
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Good to know on those O'Donnell plugs. I used a few in my OS and really liked them. They seem to make the engine run a bit cooler (go figure). I will put one in the SX12 when it comes back from the shop.

BTW, has anyone tried one of those Viper cooling heads? I may pick one up, just to lower the CG a bit and match up the color scheme...
Old 05-14-2004, 07:50 AM   #330
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Glow plug

Quote:
Thanks afm I was looking for something that was the equivalant and I can get that plug locally.
Your welcome.
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I asume that you have both head buttons, the Turbo and the Non-Turbo, because plugs aren't interchangable. You have to change head button for each application.
AFM