R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #2131
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So to be safe what head shims should I have. Lots of guys are running no extra shim and are running 30% without any problems. I added one extra copper one but was running the MC59 which is a hot plug. It's hotter than a #6 Novarossi or RB plug. The match for it would be an MC8.
cwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #2132
Tech Regular

I would even run a m7 cold plug witch would retard timming and the engine will run cooler and will have more bottom end torque, that is the only plug I ran in my p5 back in the day with no problems and temp was never over 245f., with stock shimming ..
MRX4-R03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #2133
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadoriRacing
the PLUS2 pics on Nova website are wrong.......

I do fell sorry for the customer who were expecting something like that.

I'm not saying that it's not a Novarossi fault, but it's very easy to see that the pictures are wrong because those parts are from .21 engines (shaft is from the 35plus 21 Rally, rod is from 35 PLUS and backplate from Collari or other .21 engine which comes with the new patented backplate), and the P/S set is a 5 port and the engine is actually a 3port............
Hi Salvadori:

I saw on the NR website that you are an official NR distributor. Do you have any official information from NR about this second engine on the plus 2 package? It seems to be a piece of junk, and I believe that a lot of people will not buy the plus2 because it is too expensive and the package would be cheaper without the second engine. Moreover, a engine + pipe combo would be much better for the NR customers.

thanks and regards

Eduardo

Last edited by eduardo_garcia; 05-03-2007 at 12:09 PM.
eduardo_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #2134
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo_garcia
Hi Salvadori:

I saw on the NR website that you are an official NR distributor. Do you any official information from NR about this second engine on the plus 2 package? It seems to be a piece of junk, and I believe that a lot of people will not buy the plus2 because it is too expensive because of the second engine.

thanks and regards

Eduardo
Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #2135
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo_garcia
Hi Salvadori:

I saw on the NR website that you are an official NR distributor. Do you any official information from NR about this second engine on the plus 2 package? It seems to be a piece of junk, and I believe that a lot of people will not buy the plus2 because it is too expensive because of the second engine.

thanks and regards

Eduardo
Not sure if you saw it yet, but read post #2114 regarding the 2nd engine.

Also, prices here have come down quite a bit on the 353. Less than $500.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #2136
Tech Elite

BTW ~ Of those of you that are saying that the Plus2 2nd motor is "junk", I would like to know what you think the equivalent performance of this "junk" motor is? Equivalent to an OS TZ? Sirio STI?
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #2137
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think any of us know how the second engine runs because we all feel that it's slower than a stock os tz so nobody will pony up the $500 to buy it.

I agree with the pipe statement though, I just got a 367 for my offroad car and the pipe + extra plugs is a cool idea even if it's missing the header for some reason.
brianhatesnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #2138
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalters
In a truggy I would use the JP3. The JP2 is suited more for the top end. You have to get those big tires rotating

I had an issue with my P5 Sunday and was wondering if anyone could help me out...

Motor was running very hot but didn't feel lean or anything. So I richened it up a little and then mid run it seemed like it was falling out of tune and became richer. It was so slow it couldn't get out of it's own way. Pulled it off the track and temp checked at 280 degrees but was idling fine. So I went back, pulled the plug and the wire was white and grey So I put a new plug in it and tuned it in my pit then went back out for another qualifier. Seemed to run great through warm up and first 3 or 4 minutes in. The last minute it did the same thing. Pulled it over and it is idling fine. Temp it and it's 311 So I thought I had an airleak at the front main bearing. Pulled the motor apart and it's not the main bearing and I don't see any other leaks on the motor. Still has good pinch but the top of the piston and head button look like they've been blasted with a very, very fine sand.

Any ideas? It's a P5x, running 30% Sidewinder, with extra copper head shim and a McCoy MC59 plug...
Sounds like early firing / detonation. The risk is high : glow plug's coil / element fall off and scratches your piston sleeve.

You can solve the problem by either you add engine shims ( another 0.2mm or 0.3mm ) or reduce the nitro content, say 25% with colder plugs.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #2139
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
BTW ~ Of those of you that are saying that the Plus2 2nd motor is "junk", I would like to know what you think the equivalent performance of this "junk" motor is? Equivalent to an OS TZ? Sirio STI?
I haven't seen this engine yet, but by the pictures it would be much worse than an OS TZ
eduardo_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #2140
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

the NS12P is something like the NS12p3 which is 1.48hp........

an ugly head means nothing, I don't have the picture here but MASAO TANAKA used a customized head in the WC in Brisbane with very fewer ribs than the stock head of the PLUS12 engine..........his engine looked very ugly but it didn't anything with his strong performance......

I agree that the engine is ugly, but let us see how does it perform.......

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #2141
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalters
In a truggy I would use the JP3. The JP2 is suited more for the top end. You have to get those big tires rotating
I thought the jp-3 was a top end pipe..this confuses me cause the magazines have them listed as top pipe while jp-2 is a midrange to top pipe....but alright i guess i'll be getting a jp-3 soon so i can test the difference!
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #2142
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX4-R03
I think the JP-2 would give you the best all around power, someone else correct me if I am wrong the JP-3 is more of a top end pipe!

The JP-2 is a midrange pipe, and the JP-3 is a top end pipe..
You could even run a Novarossi,Rex,Top 9886 pipe best all around pipe, from what I was told was made for the buggy,,
you can even find them cheap on ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Novarossi-EFRA-9...pe-NR-OS-OFNA-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALMOST-NEW-JP-2-...-JP-NOVAROSSI-
just to give you an idea..
Old 05-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #2143
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

well i already own a jp-2 but was wondering if the jp-3 would've been better
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #2144
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

JP1 is low end pipe, JP2 is high end and JP3 is mid-high but its a 3 chamber design for EFRA rules.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #2145
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadoriRacing
the NS12P is something like the NS12p3 which is 1.48hp........
No, it's not. It's closer to the MT12 from the late 90's with an offroad crank in it.

I will take some pics tonight and post them here and you"ll see what I'm talking about.

Later
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote