R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Like Tree34Likes

Old 02-24-2004, 12:35 AM   #151
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any suggestions to this question?

Running in the NS12S3A1 motor, I have ordered a run in bench, and I would like to know the mixtures I should use, some say SUPER RICH, with the carb at WOT just to keep her idling, some say slightly rich and idling, many conflicts...
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:22 AM   #152
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any suggestions to this question?

Running in the NS12S3A1 motor, I have ordered a run in bench, and I would like to know the mixtures I should use, some say SUPER RICH, with the carb at WOT just to keep her idling, some say slightly rich and idling, many conflicts...
Well, this is what the manual that comes with Novamega engines say about Running-in the engine on a run-in bench:

"Using the Serpent Run-In Bench (N░3400) makes it a lot quicker and easier to run-in the engine.
Richen the HSN by 1/2 a turn, and run the engine for 10 minutes (cooling off between tanks) at low RPM ( heat cycling on the first tank). Then run the engine for an additional 15 minutes at medium-high RPM at the same richness setting (cooling off between tanks).
Install the engine in your car, and run the car trough 3 more tanks of fuel while adjusting the carburator to achieve top speed.
When you adjust the carburator settings, make them in very small increments, since the engine is very responsive to small changes in mixture settings".

Hope it helps
AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:59 PM   #153
Tech Fanatic

Thank you, that is exactly what I am looking for. funnily enough, I have the serpent run in bench... I hope my motor arrives today.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:20 PM   #154
Tech Initiate

Funny how this Nova thread seems to only discuss .12-.15 size Novas. Doesn't anyone have any problems with their .21 Novas?

What do you guys think of the Nova RX21 R1 WC engine?

Will this engine perform on the track?
gonsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:20 AM   #155
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by gonsped
Funny how this Nova thread seems to only discuss .12-.15 size Novas. Doesn't anyone have any problems with their .21 Novas?

What do you guys think of the Nova RX21 R1 WC engine?

Will this engine perform on the track?
The R1 WC is a well known old engine (is starting to show their age, in fact has been with us for more than 3 years now).

Doesn't matter if is on their stock incarnation, the Mario Rossi one (a very mild mod) or a balls out modified one. Performs like a champ and is a sure bet if you're planning to get one of those engines.

Probably are on the market engines with more power, more rpms or both, but the R1 is a reliable, quick and ┐Cheap? engine who performs very well at the track, doesn't matter if is a Nova R1 or the Rex PR21 (some people likes more this engine because has a slightly bigger crankcase and more solid (doesn't have cooling fins on their lower portion of the crankcase).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:37 AM   #156
Tech Initiate

Good stuff! Coz I'm in the middle of breaking in my very first .21 Nova engine - my first race type engine as well - and my very first 8th scale - lol
gonsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:28 AM   #157
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default REX P5

just had my first offroad race with my new P5 and all I can say is AMAZING! had to install the restrictor just to keep from blowing the tires off of my buggy. never ran over 215 all day until the main when I had to run some Odonnell fuel and it went to 230 degrees. SMG fuel is the best Ive ever used,It left a beautiful bronzed color in the chamber and crankcase and never flamed out all day.
smartdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:19 AM   #158
Tech Apprentice

Default Carb settings

Hi,

I took my carb off to clean it and I also took all the needles off and ... now I can't remember what were my settings because I didn't record them. I tried the initial settings from the RB site and to start setting up from there. I spent two tanks of fuel and still is a b1tch to run. Any ideas???
Speed De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:16 AM   #159
Tech Fanatic

Hi Speed De, It sounds to me like you have a air leak or something if you say she is being a cow... Try and reinstall the carb but press it in onto the 'O' ring and tighten it then. Also see if you havent maybe damaged one of the 'O' rings on the needle valves themselves as these little buggers are easily hurt. you may want to check out the engine rebuild articles on RC-Nitro, these may help further. Of coarse I may be wrong but it wont hurt to check as a lot of engine tuning problems are small air leaks on on the carb, at the backplate or the head.

<Start Paste>

SEALING

Even some of the best engines have air leaks, which can develop wherever parts are joined. The symptoms of an air leak are poor idle and mixture settings that vary without your input! To avoid this, I habitually use silicone sealant whenever I reassemble an engine.

Choosing the proper sealant is as important as using it. It must be resistant to fuel and high temperatures and be safe to use on a nitro engine. Look for a high-temp sealant that is marked as "oxygen-sensor safe." Oxygen sensors are used in automobile engines, and they're very sensitive to corrosion. If a sealant is safe for use with an oxygen sensor, it's safe for your RC engine.

It's fairly easy to seal an engine because air leaks are most likely in three areas:

the fuel fitting on the main needle;
around the base of the carburetor;
the engine backplate.
Just be careful to avoid using too much sealant, as an excess will cause even more problems than it solves. Use only just enough to get the job done.

<End Paste>

Try this link: http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/ht_rebuild.asp
And this: http://www.rcnitro.com/articles/10imfix.asp

Check out page 3.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:05 AM   #160
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys, I am looking for a little advice, I have an NS12L3A1, and I am looking for a GOOD airfilter, I was looking at the motorsaver .21 buggy filter, or the team magic .21 buggy filter, problem is that the normal .12 filters dont fit. that carb throat is BIG!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 01:32 PM   #161
Tech Adept

Default RX-21 WMO

Hi Guys,

Does anybody know anything about the RX-21 WMO.

As far as I know its a long strock offroad engine.

Could you get this as your 'base' engine & give it to a tuner for onroad use? (MRX3/950R etc.)

I know the Roo version is the engine of choice for tuning but is there any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks in advance
click, dublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:58 PM   #162
Tech Adept

Guys, does anyone know can I use a REX's glow plug for NS3 engine? Will there be any affect to it? Haven't break in the engine yet. I am using the glow plug that comes with the engine for break in.
ckh1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:55 PM   #163
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

WMO is a short stroke engine base on crank case as well as internals couple years ago. I think WMO stands for World Model Edition or something. From memory they comes with a plastic carb also. It runs ok compares to a RX21. Not as fuel efficent as the new crank case. Just make sure you change the rod often, I think they are not as well manufacture as the R4. Understandable when you consider the price.

As far as Rex plugs goes. They are exactly the same as the Nova Plug... Different packaging!
slooookomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:18 AM   #164
Tech Adept

Also, does anyone know about the default needles setting for NS3? Thanks.
ckh1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:46 PM   #165
Tech Adept

Default NS12 S5 run in

dear ppl I have some questions regarding break in of this engine. NS12 S5

It says use 5% nitro fuel. Is this really necessary? I've broken in other engines with the same fuel used for racing it..

I'm going to make a bench to run it with a propeller. What size prop is recommended? How do I fit a plane prop to the shaft?

After run in what fuel to use? 20 or 25% . I have a lot of 25% that I use for my RB ws7II

Any other special consideration for the break in?

Thank you very much
cox049 is offline   Reply With Quote