Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I am new to the nitro side of our hobby, and I just purchased an STS D3R. My question is, who makes a good air filter, that fits this engine nicely.

I would also like to know what your opinions are, for the best method of break in, for this particular engine.

Your coments and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:58 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by porter
I am new to the nitro side of our hobby, and I just purchased an STS D3R. My question is, who makes a good air filter, that fits this engine nicely.

I would also like to know what your opinions are, for the best method of break in, for this particular engine.

Your coments and opinions are greatly appreciated.
STS makes the perfect fit air filter for its engines.
For break-in method, just follow the method described in the instructions that came with the engine.

AFM
Old 03-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thanks, afm
Old 03-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

what car are you using it on and if you can use the sts pipe i have used three different pipes none compare to it
Old 03-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
what car are you using it on and if you can use the sts pipe i have used three different pipes none compare to it
Dino, FW05/CD3 version of pipe?

(currently running Kyosho 5.2)
Old 03-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

is the sts carb standard novarossi neck size? Will nova filters work on the sts d5r?

I was told last night by the owner of one of the tracks I drive at that the BEST (his best way) to breakin an engine was on a starter box without the engine running and plug out.......? This seems crazy to me because there is not heat and therefore no expansion of the sleeve piston. Wouldnt this damage the engine?

STS recomends using a low % nitro for breakin and then switch to racing fuel. I plan to use klots 30% high torque blend. Would breakin using high oil 20% and then a switch to this 30% blend be ok? Is the reason to use a low % breakin to save some stress on the rod? I have always been under the impression that breakin using the same fuel you will run is best....? could someone clarify this for me.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by rcosmax
is the sts carb standard novarossi neck size? Will nova filters work on the sts d5r?

I was told last night by the owner of one of the tracks I drive at that the BEST (his best way) to breakin an engine was on a starter box without the engine running and plug out.......? This seems crazy to me because there is not heat and therefore no expansion of the sleeve piston. Wouldnt this damage the engine?

STS recomends using a low % nitro for breakin and then switch to racing fuel. I plan to use klots 30% high torque blend. Would breakin using high oil 20% and then a switch to this 30% blend be ok? Is the reason to use a low % breakin to save some stress on the rod? I have always been under the impression that breakin using the same fuel you will run is best....? could someone clarify this for me.
Thanks
Yes,all filters fit it.

If the engine is very tight,that is a good way to loosen it up a bit. This way we call it "cold run-in". In fact all STS engine has been this process before it leave our factory. We have a special run-in stand. With enough lubricity it will not damage the engine.

They told you to use the same fuel which you want to race with is just becauese they want to make sure one thing. That is a good fuel for car,not for air or boat. They must suggest you to add some lubricating oil but many people didn't notice this part. Why we suggest you to use low % is for two reasons. One is protect the rod another is make sure the lubricating oil is enough.

I use 30% to run in my engine,in fact I almost have no time to run-in engine. I just run about 4-5 tanks then just lean it. BUT I will change the crankshaft and the rod after break-in process. If you want to save some money,just follow the manual. Run in it slowly with patience.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Hi dino. Thanks for your reply. When you say add oil do you recomend synthetic or castor based oil. I guess one of the reasons for using a low nitro % fuel is because lower nitro % fuels have higher oil percentages?

Thanks for your time
Old 03-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Tech Lord

how about 5% nitro and 18% oil
Old 03-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by rcosmax
Hi dino. Thanks for your reply. When you say add oil do you recomend synthetic or castor based oil. I guess one of the reasons for using a low nitro % fuel is because lower nitro % fuels have higher oil percentages?

Thanks for your time
I would suggest to add castor based oil when break-in. Cheap and well protection.
Castor oil is very thick. It's not good for rev-up. So we add some synthetic oil for race.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
how about 5% nitro and 18% oil
It depend on the fuel manufactory's formula.

For example;
15% Nitro + 15% Oil + 70% Alcohol
But when it is 30% Nitro the formula may become:
30% Nitro + 10% Oil + 60% Alcohol
If They supply you 15% Oil,the alcohol will only has 55% remained.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Nitro Tech

Default Italy Buggy Regional

Won Italy Buggy Regional yesterday. Congrats to the winner Ferroso Vincenzo.
http://www.modellismorc.net/modules....iewtopic&t=387
Old 03-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Hi dino, I have this engine http://webpages.charter.net/xtcgti/hpig1301.jpg
and I was told it is based off an STS .12 engine. My question is I have run over a gallon of fuel though it and still has not broken in yet. My problem is i'm having a hard time getting 5 minutes out of a tank of fuel. Should I just lean it up and hope for the best? Or keep running rich until it loosens up some more.

Thanks for the help, Neil
Old 03-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Italy Buggy Regional

Very nice! Well done Ferroso !

dino - using just a standard D21B or are there some mods for me to do hehehe

Originally posted by dino.tw
Won Italy Buggy Regional yesterday. Congrats to the winner Ferroso Vincenzo.
http://www.modellismorc.net/modules....iewtopic&t=387
Old 03-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Tech Lord

Dino, ran the d3r today after a five min run temps only in the 250's with good power from start to finish thanks for the help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.