Originally posted by jjmudd
Couple of questions for the STS crew:
1. What plug works best in the STS RS3 non turbo motor?
2. What are the factory settings for the carb?
3. What is the performance of the RS3 compared to the D5?
1. It depends on the number of head shims and % of fuel.
for me, I would use 0.5mm head shim + 30% fuel + cold plug (hard to tune the idle lo, but performance is very good.).
0.4mm head shim + 25% fuel + medium plug (both idling and performance are good)
0.4mm head shim + 20% fuel + hot plug (very good idling. good for break-in if you can't find 16% fuel.)
You can always alter the head shim and plug to get best idling and performance.
I like to set my bottom end abit rich. So that I can lean out the top abit more, but still have better cooling when I let go the throttle. This is a good setting for small tracks, but not for a big track with very long straightaway.
2. bballer is right in the carb settings.
3. D5 has better performance than RS3.
I have two RS3, one modified D3, and one modified D5.
The D5 has the best performace among these four.
For me, the performance of RS3 is like modified MR12. I have leaned out the RS3 to 280F, it can keep up with RS12TS3. But it all depends on how you setup your car, and how you drive it, too.