Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have a used mt-12 that I want to put a sts piston and sleeve into. Would it fit? I want to put the 5 port sleeve in thier. Would I need to get a crankshaft or a connecting rod for it to make it work?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Tech Master

I was running the STS piston sleeve, crankshaft, bearings in a NovaMax crankcase with a Nova Carb. Surprisingly, the "problem" associated with this engine is gone. The normal low end "rich" spluttering was no longer evident. I have only changed the carb and was using a kyosho 6mm pipe (instead of 7mm). This engine seems to be as fast as the Novarossi engines. My lsn needle was 2.5 turns and HSN was 4.5 turns which is pretty similar to my NSR settings.

I would also suggest that the crankshaft be polished if you intend to use the original STS crankcase.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What places carry the STS d3R motor? I was going to get the rc-mushroom for 139 deal, but they are now out of stock.

Anyone know any place else that can match that price or come close to it.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

I was going for the Rcmushroom deal also. Go to projectzen.com for north america.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BundyMan
I was running the STS piston sleeve, crankshaft, bearings in a NovaMax crankcase with a Nova Carb. Surprisingly, the "problem" associated with this engine is gone. The normal low end "rich" spluttering was no longer evident. I have only changed the carb and was using a kyosho 6mm pipe (instead of 7mm). This engine seems to be as fast as the Novarossi engines. My lsn needle was 2.5 turns and HSN was 4.5 turns which is pretty similar to my NSR settings.

I would also suggest that the crankshaft be polished if you intend to use the original STS crankcase.
Could you clarify what you mean by polishing the crank? Are you talking inside the crank barrel or OD of crank barrel or something else? Also is this using a sts crank in sts case or are you talking nova crank in sts case or.... what? lol sorry for my confusion
Old 05-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

I am using the old novamax crankcase, basically transferring all the internals from the STS engine. I polished the the crankshaft as advised by the guy whom I purchased it from. It seemed to have eliminated the low end rich "blubbering" and the revs seemed to pick up much faster than before. Tried the engine again yesterday evening and I think its suited for medium sized tracks.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

sorry bundy I should have been more clear. can you describe how eacxtly you polished the crank. what sections and to what extent. Thanks for taking time to answer. Drop a pm if need be.
cheers
Old 05-31-2005, 10:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BundyMan
Finally had done some runs with this engine. For the $$$, its absolutely great value. However, in order to extract the maximum performance from this engine it will be necessary to polish the crankshaft. I noticed the crankshaft is slightly more than 11mm when measured with a micrometer, this may caused the crankshaft to grind against the crankcase and hence the low end problem experienced by many users. However. once its polished the performance is on par if not better than the italian mills

Rgds
Is this what you are talking about? I am assuming it is the section between the case bearings as you wouldnt want to polish the section of the crank where the bearings ride. so you would be polishing the outter diameter of the crank barrel between where the bearings ride? is this correct? If it is rubbing on the case there will be markings on the crank so maybe when I pull mine apart it will be clear to see what to polish.
cheers
Old 05-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

I wouldn't touch the outside of the crank - you dont want the engine sucking air because of introduced gap between crank and case.

He is talking about inside the crank where the fuel/air mixture runs into the engine
Old 05-31-2005, 11:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, I will receive an STS D3R from Mushrom tomorrow, could someone please explain to me how you do polish your crankshaft ? What tools to use and what do you use as "polishing compound " ?

Thx
Old 06-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcosmax
Is this what you are talking about? I am assuming it is the section between the case bearings as you wouldnt want to polish the section of the crank where the bearings ride. so you would be polishing the outter diameter of the crank barrel between where the bearings ride? is this correct? If it is rubbing on the case there will be markings on the crank so maybe when I pull mine apart it will be clear to see what to polish.
cheers
Mine was literally stuck unto the crankcase. To remove the crankshaft I had to knock with with a hammer (a little exxagerated ). Now its smooth just like the Novas and found the engine to be better. I polished it using rubber beads so I dont think I remove that much material off the crank to produce a large gap between the crankshaft and crankcase.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

I polished it using rubber beads so I dont think I remove that much material off the crank to produce a large gap between the crankshaft and crankcase.
I having a little language problems, could you please show me a photo or a link of what you did use to polishing ? Rubber beads ??

Thx
Old 06-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Tech Adept

thanks bundy. I will pull mine apart tonight and check. I figure that if there is rubbing the crank will have a mark on it so it should be easy to see where to polish. it is time for a new rod anyway so it will fit nicely with the maintainance.

cheers
Old 06-02-2005, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nsxshogun
I was going for the Rcmushroom deal also. Go to projectzen.com for north america.
http://www.Projectzen.net

EDIT: They contacted me back about the price. I have gone ahead and bought the engine from projectzen.net, thanks for the link!

Last edited by Artificial-I; 06-02-2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:31 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
http://www.Projectzen.net - They have the motor listed for 230? Thats almost 100 more than mushroom.

Know of any place cheaper anyone?
Artificial

Did you read the Private Mail I sent you about STS engines??
I have them on stock

AFM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.