Community
Wiki Posts
Search

engine overheating help!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default engine overheating help!?!

ok so I have my first nitro car(a used hpi rs4 rtr 3 evo +) and now that the weather was nice on sunday i finally took it out for a run...well Im not really sure what happened but after about 5 minutes of runnning I pull in and its running hot..real hot(399 degrees f) so I shut it right down and let it cool down and then tried to start it.....nothing....I take the the engine apart and check for damage but dont find anything that looks out of the ordinary and the engine still has compression....put it back in the car and get it to fire up..but have no throttle control( I forgot to hook up servo) so now ive isolated the problem to the carb. So I figure that it must be an air leak that caused it to lean out...does that sound possible? I noticed that the dust cover boot that wraps around throttle control arm has a rip in it. is that the problem? also the slide seems to be moving in and out as well as trning clockwise. is that normal? any help appreciated! thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

im not an expert on on road but if it has a 2speed tranny is it shifting into second?
if its not that could be the reason
Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Rookie

no its shifting thats what I was trying to setup while playing with it....
Old 04-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

ohh. r u running a high enough nitro percentage?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's really difficult to diagnose problems like this over the internet. Your best bet would be to take it to your local hobby shop or get an experienced friend to help you out.

With that said, if your slide is rotating, it sounds like your idle stop screw has backed out. There is a grove that the idle stop screw rides on and if it backs out too far, the slide will be able to spin around. You need to tighten the idle stop screw until you get the idle set correctly and then get the tune right and it shouldn't overheat any more.