Wiki Posts
Search

Building a Pulling Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Building a Pulling Engine

Iam working on my Pulling Engine for my 2WD Nitro Pro Stock Truck and i would like your guys opinoins, and suggestions.

Right now, i have the engine completetly apart. Iam gonna start cleaning everything tommorrow. And since this is a pulling engine, i have already cut the cooling fins except for the bottom 3. And i printed out Gordon Jennings book 2day also and started to read that. Heres my plan:
-Bore carb 1mm bigger
-Remove any flashing
-Polish the ports
-Polish the bottom of the sleeve

Iam basically going to do what RC Car Action did a How-To article on. I dont want to mess with port timming yet since this is my 1st try. But hopefully down the road, i will do this type of work to my friends engines. Since my LHS and friends are brand loyal to XTM Racing, thus we all use XTM Products. And the Small Block that we all like to use in the .18 and they are $99 brand new. So i figure if i can get just these engines down pat, ill purchase them new, do the work, and then resell them for about $30 more? I dont plan on making alot/any money, just like tinkering with everything.

Does my idea sound ok? Is there anymore i can do to the engine without messing with port timming?

I would like opinoins, and comments, but PLZ dont bash me.

Thanks for your time,
Blake
Old 03-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Blake,

Still got the engine in pieces? The first thing you need to do is measure everything. Once you have all of those numbers you will know what your current port timing is, compression ratio, head volume, squish band area, rod length... and so on. By knowing where you are beginning than you can "plan" what you want to change. There are a few simple changes you can make to the engine that will affect how the engine runs.

Being a pulling engine, I guess you are looking for torque over RPM This will help you narrow down the list of possible changes you can make. You can PM me if you like.