Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS D3R .12 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Tech Addict

Default STS D3R .12 Engine

Does anyone know how well this engine matches up the the top of the line engines such as the Novarossi', RB's, O.S's., etc.?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

I just finished breakin mine in, and I have to say that it is a great engine. Good bottom, and great top.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

u can check here at STS engine thread

price wise... it's a deal. performance wise.. at par.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks. Found the STS thread last night and it has a whole lot of information. May just get me one of them and see how it runs.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Tech Adept

I got a d3r as an experiment.
For the money, it's an excellent performer. Finish is not as good as on some of the more expensive engines, but that doesn't really matter. The engine runs fine and despite what some say I find it very easy to tune, even with the stock carb on it. Just adjust in small amounts (1/12th of a turn) and it should be fine.
The engine has a lot of torque at the bottom end, but is lacking a bit at the top end. It handles high gearing great though, so I get my speed that way...
Old 09-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Foe what you pay and the way it runs, you can not go wrong, just got done running at http://www.timezoneracing.com/
and I geared it to the moon on the rrr car, I only gave up very little on the staright, the car was great out of the corners with all that torqed. so in other words it's a very good motor stock. next season I'm going to get another and have some work done on it. should really make it scream.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

I have 3 races on mine and i'm very pleased. Good power, easy to tune and yes it if geared properly has no problems keeping up with other engines.

On my G4 i changed my pinion for 19 to 20th and 24 to 25.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:54 AM
Tech Adept

Well... my d3r is getting worse rapidly now. When I hold it by the flywheel and let it drop through its compression it makes a bit of a gurgling sound and drop through it after about 10 seconds.

I took it apart, and the piston looks OK, without any scratches or whatsoever. The liner however clearly shows some damage on the chrome plating. This may be because the chrome plating was never that good to begin with (see the photo I posted a few pages back), but it's quite clearly worn out a bit prematurely.

The engine has had about 6 to 7 litres of fuel through it and has always been tuned properly without overheating and a tad rich on the bottom end. Never has anthing but fuel and after run oil entered the engine... I don't know what I'm going to do with it now. Maybe I'll buy a new piston set for it or maybe I'll sell it completely (with warning to the new owner of course)...
Old 10-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlesd
I have 3 races on mine and i'm very pleased. Good power, easy to tune and yes it if geared properly has no problems keeping up with other engines.

On my G4 i changed my pinion for 19 to 20th and 24 to 25.
I am still breaking my engine in -- a little over 1.5 liters through it. After I had run 1/2 to 3/4 liter of fuel through the engine the glow plug stopped loosening up and stayed tight. The Glow plug that I am using is an
RB products CP-02 Turbo, 01051-6. I have a NovaRossi Glow plug to try but I purchased two RB glow plugs at the time I started up the for enigne break-in and just installed my second one after 1 1/4 liters of fuel.

As far as gearing is concerned, on my CD3 Pro:
pinion 22/28
spur 55/49
The larger pinion gears make a significant difference in the power delivery.
The faster cars are passing me just a little on the backstraight at about 170 ft.
I am racing at Leisure Hours raceway in Joliet, IL.
Power out of the corners is smooth when I'm smooth with the throttle.
This engine has a nice power curve, next week I will begin race tuning ... but slowly.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Qlone
Well... my d3r is getting worse rapidly now. When I hold it by the flywheel and let it drop through its compression it makes a bit of a gurgling sound and drop through it after about 10 seconds.

I took it apart, and the piston looks OK, without any scratches or whatsoever. The liner however clearly shows some damage on the chrome plating. This may be because the chrome plating was never that good to begin with (see the photo I posted a few pages back), but it's quite clearly worn out a bit prematurely.

The engine has had about 6 to 7 litres of fuel through it and has always been tuned properly without overheating and a tad rich on the bottom end. Never has anthing but fuel and after run oil entered the engine... I don't know what I'm going to do with it now. Maybe I'll buy a new piston set for it or maybe I'll sell it completely (with warning to the new owner of course)...
I had the same problem with the liner looking bad, I said screw it and just ran it, if it blows up it blows up, well that was two gallons ago and it still is running strong, so i would'nt worry about it....
Old 02-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

I have one in my NT1 and it performs great, I am a OS fan myself but for the money its a great engine. Break-in was simple and tuning is a snap. No complaints.