Wiki Posts
Search

GRP tuned .21 onroad

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default GRP tuned .21 onroad

What is the high speed needle baseline adjustment? How many turns out from closed? Read the book 3 times and don't see it.Says it's set from factory with only fine adjustments needed, then talks about 1/3 turn adjustments ( thats alot to me).
Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Just richen both bottom and top and tune from there.
Base factory settings are not needed, if you have difficulty in tuning engine it could be other factors

If your new to nitro engines read this

http://www.cefx.net/tips/nitro/tuning/index.php
Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Not new to nitro, and not a tuning issue. It's a brand new engine, and I'd like to know for sure the jetting is rich to start the break in process. I would hate to damage a new engine because some factory worker forgot to set the HSN corectly. There are, and I have used several, many break in procedures, but this engine I want to follow their's ( after all it is their product, they should know best ) The 1st tank is idled through, so short of seeing fuel dumping out of the pipe it's hard to tell if it's truly rich. So far I'm really impressed with fit finish, packaging and everything about this engine, just wish I could find a base line setting for HSN. Even in there maintence they talk of removing the HSN for cleaning but no mention of were to reset it to after reinstalling it. I'll have to rember to close it and rember how many turns it took, then again I can't rember when I took a carb apart to clean it.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Tim, I would say 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 is close on the main needle. I have run several of the Ninja .21 and its about there and hardly have I had to adjust on it. Make sure on the 1/4, 1/2 and wot tanks you get it around 180-200 to make sure everything get nice and hot because these engine have alot of pinch. Kevin
Old 03-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Kevin, yea it's tight. Hopefully Sunday I can go over to the middle school and break it in.
Tim
Old 03-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey Tim I think I read somewhere that those engines were already to go when you get them but I'm not exactly sure on that.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Per the manual I need to run about 7 tanks. Should be ready for the 15th.
Tim
Old 03-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

7 tanks sounds too little, these motors are a dog to break in. Had two GRP tuned motors. I stuffed one of them up during break in. Got the motor that my mate had that put in a bunch of tanks, I put in another 5 or six on the track leaning out after every tank, started rich. After the end on the runs the motor was not idling so I thought the rod was going, not an issue. Closer inspection the I elongated the piston where it connects to the con rod. Bottom line motor was still ot run in!!! My other one I had a run away with, blew piston and sleeve, got a knock on the reciever, very sad mate. Nice motors and cheap compared to NR, dead easy to tune. Just be patient man
Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I got my ninja last year it is the same thing as your grp here is what I posted about the break in.The medium plug I used is a number 6.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I got my mr21ro1a fully broken in yesterday.She seemed completely broken in after the 12th tank.I had absolutely zero problems with break in.The one thing that shocked me with this engine was how fast it lost pinch.Like my picco .26maxx had about 2 times the pinch compared to my ninja and it lasted for about 16 tanks or more.I don't see how this break in could have weakened the rod but I will check it before I run it at the track.I ran a medium plug with 20% even though it was shimmed for 30% just because everyone was talking about the excesssive pinch.It was about 90 degrees outside with about 70% humidity.I will install a cold plug and run 25% for the rest of the engines life.I started tweaking the needles on the 11th tank and had it pretty good but still alittle fat on the top by the 12th.I don't think this engine is any harder to tune than other aftermarket motors but the tuning window is pretty small for that "sweet spot".Running it full blast like it would if it was at the track resulted in temps of 240 when the temperature outside was 80 because a storm blew over and cooled everything off.Maybe these guys are blowing there rods because they are more sensitive to lean conditions?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/exclusiv...ml#post4518679