Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tuned pipes chambers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Default Tuned pipes chambers

Why is that some tuned pipes have 2 chambers and the others got 3? Is this to muffle the sound? How does these 2 compare? I mean which one will give more power or mileage? I m asking this because im in the market of buying tuned pipe for my future .21 on road engine. I m still to decide either Nova 359 Tuned or Picco P9R. I ve been advice to use Sirio pipes with whatever eng I will choose.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Two chamber pipes aren't legal anymore for most sanctioned races. They added a third chamber (basically just a big washer inside the pipe you can't see) to reduce sound. For a 359 I would recommend a nova 2015 or Sirio 2013 pipe. Not sure what is best for the Picco, probably a Picco pipe would be best.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

My local club does not have any rules regarding pipe or noise ...so which one will give more the 2 chambers or 3 chambers pipe?
Old 11-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Lord

3 chambers pipes are more develloped than the 2 chamber due the rules in some parts of the world. Beside that, 3 chamber can give an extra resonation which can result in a wider powerband.

There are 2 types of 3 chamber pipes, the EFRA 2000 series which have some holes between the 1st and 3rd chamber and the 3000 series does not have these holes. The 3000 series are more difficult to adjust and do show a powerloss in some area of the revs.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dameetz
My local club does not have any rules regarding pipe or noise ...so which one will give more the 2 chambers or 3 chambers pipe?
For a Nova motor I still say the good old 9886 with a conical manifold is the most grunt you can get. Of course, I haven't run one in a while since they are illegal now so maybe the 3 chamber pipes have caught up but I doubt it.