Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Picco P9 EVO3 .21 Race Engine >

Picco P9 EVO3 .21 Race Engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picco P9 EVO3 .21 Race Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:31 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

ok guys, my EVO3 is installed on my 960 (without the lcg monoblock, cause I need to dremel it a bit)
But which pipe does this engine loves most?

The 2033?
or does the 2052 also works really well, like it did on the Mega DSII, and Picco EVO2.....
Old 01-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
ok guys, my EVO3 is installed on my 960 (without the lcg monoblock, cause I need to dremel it a bit)
But which pipe does this engine loves most?

The 2033?
or does the 2052 also works really well, like it did on the Mega DSII, and Picco EVO2.....
I also want to know which pipe this engine performces good with
Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the 2013 - sirio , rb works really well
Old 01-27-2009, 01:19 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

We are not allowed to race the 2013 anymore under EFRA...
To much noise....
Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how is ofna and picco making these engines at an extremely competitive price, having them perform better or equal to $400 italian mills, and the "other" brands still are instant on charging $500 for their engines.

take the JLR Red-Dot for example $180 engine, goobs of power, VERY close to Novarossis in performance, close to half of the cost.

the Picco P-9 Evo 2, $279, great budget engine. tons of power, also very cheap compared to the other engines.

I know novarossis and other italian brands are great engines, i own 2 of them.

but when brands like picco and ofna are catching up so quickly, should they drop their prices to stay competitive? or will people just keep buying the novarossi brand at what ever price because of their reputation?

the picco p9 evo 2 was impressive, and lets hope the evo 3 is the same, but I DO love the art on the cooling head, I would cry my eyes out if I had one and I flipped over scratching it...
Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

OFNA is not making any engines, PICCO is.

Why people still buy these very expensive mills?... I really don't know, but yes it has a lot to do with reputation and some people still believe that if it is expensive it is fast.
To be honest, I also think that a Nova is a bit faster, but certainly not worth the double price....

$279 for the EVO2 you said?,
I bought my EVO3 for $277...

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-QGR6H48D.jpg
Old 02-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by M7H
OFNA is not making any engines, PICCO is.

Why people still buy these very expensive mills?... I really don't know, but yes it has a lot to do with reputation and some people still believe that if it is expensive it is fast.
To be honest, I also think that a Nova is a bit faster, but certainly not worth the double price....

$279 for the EVO2 you said?,
I bought my EVO3 for $277...

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-QGR6H48D.jpg
M7H if i am remember well you have use the mega-picco motors,how they compare with the evo 3?
what is your opinion?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Yes I did/do, still have 2 Mega DSII and 1 DSII+ engines, and still am using them, 1 of them will retire soon, because I ran 4 gallons through it, which is the max I will use an engine.
I can't tell you the performance difference, because the Picco evo3 still needs to break in, together with my just ordered IDM evo3, which is on it's way....

But looking at the internals they are very similar, so probably will perform very similar....

Serpent will come with there new DSIII line, and if they where sooner, I would have bought them, now they are just to late for me.....
Old 02-26-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by M7H
Yes I did/do, still have 2 Mega DSII and 1 DSII+ engines, and still am using them, 1 of them will retire soon, because I ran 4 gallons through it, which is the max I will use an engine.
I can't tell you the performance difference, because the Picco evo3 still needs to break in, together with my just ordered IDM evo3, which is on it's way....

But looking at the internals they are very similar, so probably will perform very similar....

Serpent will come with there new DSIII line, and if they where sooner, I would have bought them, now they are just to late for me.....
nice,i am waiting your opinion after the break in.
something last,have you noticed any crank wear in these engines?this with 4 gallons?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

I have ran the JLR .12 red-dot and novarossi engines.

the only difference I see in those engines is that the novarossi was a PITA to break i with my weak starterbox while the picco was easier.

after break in I noticed no difference.

I have a N21B buy novaorrsi in my hyper 8.5 pro, might be a weak engine, but its been modifed to squeeze out more power, I havent broken in the damn motor because its soo tight, and my dual 550 motor box can't turn it over.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GREGORY!
something last,have you noticed any crank wear in these engines?this with 4 gallons?
Actually it is over 5 gallons old...
But, No, no visible crank wear.

I really abused this engine, to see how far I could go...
leaned it, up to 148 celsius (300 fahrenheit) and at the end of the straight, it started complaining , but didn't die...
Only don't use Picco glowplugs, but instead, go with GRP or IDM/Sirio (IDM plugs are Sirio based)
Also 1 conrod has been used more then 10 liters (2.5 gallon) and after replacing it, there still was no real difference noticable in play between the old and new conrod.

Normally I don't recommend using any conrod in any top-end engine for more then 10 liters, because of the stretch exersizes a conrod goes through, it gets tired....
But in this case it was to test the durability...

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
I have a N21B buy novaorrsi in my hyper 8.5 pro, might be a weak engine, but its been modifed to squeeze out more power, I havent broken in the damn motor because its soo tight, and my dual 550 motor box can't turn it over.
Also even if you pre heat the engine?

Last edited by M7H; 02-26-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Master

yep.... I have started it with the engine at like 200 degrees it starts to turn it over and fires up, but if it isnt it wont fire up, I bought a ofna chrome top to use for my off-road and onroad lets see if it helps
Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Always pre-heat engines before break in.

Actually I always pre-heat my engines before starting them at race days also after break-in, but we in the Netherlands have very good facilities, with power sockets available at the pit table....
Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

yes, but when you pre-heat the engine to almost running temperatures and the thing still won't turn over, you know something is wrong...
Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

yep, then you need a bigger starter box....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.