Wiki Posts
Search

Change engine bearing!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Change engine bearing!

Hi, anyone up there know how to change the engine bearing? If u dun mind, can share the method with me? i did try to heat up the case, but always fail to remove the bearing! lolzzz

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've changed them a couple of time with good results. First, tear apart engine intil you have a bare case with the old bearings. Then turn your oven on as high as it will go (500-550 deg.). Allow it to heat up all of the way and then place the case in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Then, pull the case out with some hot pads (obviously), have a old piece wood handy and take the case and smack it on the wood until the bearings pops out, you may have to heat a couple of times to get them out if not carefully use a wooded dowl and hammer to knock them out while still hot. Next, I would allow case to cool and throughly clean the case with a good cleaner, especially around the bearing seats. After that, place your new bearings in the freezer and allow them to chill while you reheat the oven. Once the case is hot and the bearings are cold, place your front bearing on the crank shaft and slide them into the case, making sure they are in all of the way, and then place the rear bearing on the crank that is all ready in the case and slide into place. Allow them to cool, reclean the case and oil the bearings. Make sure everything spins freely and reassemble the engine. I would recommend starting the engine a little rich to allow the bearings some break in time. Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

you can use the above method with a few minutes with a heat gun, too. that's what they do at traxxas UK (I did it when I was there too!)
Old 06-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The heat method works great, it can just be a little tricky. Sometimes the bearing will get cocked in the bore and get stuck. If you have an exhaust spring tool and/or something to use as a punch they will come in handy to knock or pull out a stubborn bearing. Try to knock them out without using such tools first. If you get the case hot enough the new bearings will usually drop right in.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:13 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Here you go:

http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php...ncept%20engine
Old 06-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks a lot guys for your help! I will try out the above method and see if i can get it right! hehehe! Appreciated!