Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Engine FAQ (Rookie needs a FAQ) >

Engine FAQ (Rookie needs a FAQ)

Engine FAQ (Rookie needs a FAQ)

Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Engine FAQ (Rookie needs a FAQ)

I am buying a 1/8 scale on road car. I used to run 1/10 electric. I really need a Nitro Engine FAQ. I have already searched all the forums many times.

I am looking at OS, OFNA Picco, RB Products and Novarossi. These appear to be the major good brands. As far as I can tell this is what they are.

OS
--------------
Made in Taiwan. Used to use nickel plaiting instead of chrome plaiting. That worries me. I don't like Taiwan, a lot of this stuff could be Chinese junk.

OFNA Picco
--------------
Picco is Italian resold in the US by OFNA? Has made some good new stuff lately. I can buy at Tower.

RB Products
--------------
French. May have many Novarossi parts. Good quality. Good as Novarossi? I can buy them at Tower.

Novarossi
-------------
The absolute best, but so overpriced they lost the bang per buck to RB, etc...

Once you buy the engine can't you just buy new sleeves/cylinders/bearings and use it forever? People don't seam to do that.

Am I better off buying a $500 7 port Novarossi or a top of the line RB?

Tower doesn't seam to have the best stuff. This place looks good. http://www.amainhobbies.com

Any better online stores?

Thanks...

Last edited by dicen; 03-13-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

repeated post
Old 03-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.ashfordhobby.com/ http://www.murnanmodified.com/ these are 2 surces I woulld say most peole will choose to go. They have great real life inventory and excelent customer service with years of expirience. Best prices. On top of it, Murnan will help with advice on engine tunning and maintenance-he knows engines very well.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

try a Picco IDM modified I ran with those engines and my team mates that run 1/8 have it and this engines have the devil inside and the run time is great.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

www.gasrccar.com
Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay, I have enough hobby stores. How about answering some of my engine manufacture questions?

Thanks...
Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I thought O.S. was Japanese? Anyway, I run RB. Good quality engines, very reliable, easy to tune. You can get an RB C6 for about $450. Novarossi's are excellent engines, very fast, but cost $$$. Stay away from the AAC type engines if you are new to nitro. AAC engines are land missles, but won't last if you make a mistake with the needles.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dicen
I am buying a 1/8 scale on road car. I used to run 1/10 electric. I really need a Nitro Engine FAQ. I have already searched all the forums many times.

I am looking at OS, OFNA Picco, RB Products and Novarossi. These appear to be the major good brands. As far as I can tell this is what they are.

OS
--------------
Made in Taiwan. Used to use nickel plaiting instead of chrome plaiting. That worries me. I don't like Taiwan, a lot of this stuff could be Chinese junk.

OFNA Picco
--------------
Picco is Italian resold in the US by OFNA? Has made some good new stuff lately. I can buy at Tower.

RB Products
--------------
French. May have many Novarossi parts. Good quality. Good as Novarossi? I can buy them at Tower.

Novarossi
-------------

Once you buy the engine can't you just buy new sleeves/cylinders/bearings and use it forever? People don't seam to do that.

Tower doesn't seam to have the best stuff. This place looks good. http://www.amainhobbies.com

Thanks...

Dicen it all depends on how you want to play. If you are taking 1/8 scale serious then go for the Novarossi or any of its family tree engine. JP , Rb Novarossi all great. If you just starting out O.S are great engine to learn from and they can take the abuse of a person learning nitro. Belive me when i say you dont want to learn nitro on an expensive engine. Get one that you can lean from and that is well supported in you local hobby stores. So your down time is minimal and stick time is maximum.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dicen

OS
--------------

OFNA Picco
--------------

RB Products
--------------

Novarossi
-------------

Thanks...
Let me fix this for you.

O.S. Engine
Based out of Japan. Due to laws of Chroming being illegal in japan they no longer MFG ABC sleeves in japan and has outsourced in another country to do it for them. They also have AAC and ABL sleeve construction.

Picco Micromotori
Located in Italy, Ofna is the primary U.S. Distributor for Picco. They used to have OFNA put on the engines but no longer do.

RB Concept
Located in France. Small engine company that has all of their engines made out of house for them. All engines Except the TM line and Speedline engines are made by and in novarossi's factory to RBs Specs. The TM and Speedline lines are made by Star-Motor Engineering who makes Sirio.

Novarossi
Claimed to be the best. Novarossi is a ISO 9001 Certified facility. Their engines are of great quality. They are also in Italy. The only problem with Novarossi is they are becoming known for extremely high prices and engines that dont make the power that its main competitor Picco does for less.

Bottom line. for 1/8th on road my two top choices would be the Novarossi 35 Plus 21, Picco P9R Evo 2, and RB Xenon .21 7p Circuit
Old 03-18-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by German Muscle
RB Concept
Located in France. Small engine company that has all of their engines made out of house for them. All engines Except the TM line and Speedline engines are made by and in novarossi's factory to RBs Specs. The TM and Speedline lines are made by Star-Motor Engineering who makes Sirio.
Correction......
The TM .28 engines are Novarossi as well, only the TM .23 engines are Sirio made.