bearing leak???

Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

Default bearing leak???

Hello guys
I am running picco IDM engines, I have the evo2 and evo3, now i want to give a rest to the 3 and use again the 2 but when checking and re-cleaning with after run oil and a saw a small leak on the outher bearing with oit the centax, i put some moore oil and retest turning the crank shaft and it was leaking, when i pull the crank shaft it stop, I reinstall the cone and the flywheel and adjust the nut re-test and no oil leak, should I replace the bearing? It can be normal the engine was stocked clean with afterrun and dust caps on the exaust,intake and fuel inlet. I was thinking of testing next month race. what do you think???
Old 02-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Lord

If it was filled with afterrun there is nothing to worry about, that can happen...

Just wipe it off and start the engine.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

All engines I have seen that have been ran and then after run oil is droped in, will seep some oil out the front. Usually less when the front bearing is double sealed and greased, but still occurs. This is nothing to worry about.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bro JRGTR, sorry for disturbing ur thread...but i got a same question to ask too! Thanks.

I got a OS.12TZ engine.. have the same situation as Bro JRGTR.... however it not only leak when after run oil is added... i think is also leak when the engine is running... after every run i found the front bearing is always coated with oil... is this normal? or should i change a new bearing? or it is due to a leakage problem from the carb?

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2008, 05:01 AM
Tech Adept

Jameslow, bro the oz tz.12 have the bearings issue, I ran 2 of those engines, one stock and other EBMOD, both were great engines and run like hell! but the bearings went to fast. With the engine stock for months is one thing but running, you should replace both bearings asap, before it begins to suck air and lean(that happens to me with the first TZ I ran), A good choice are Boca Bearing High speed stainless steel bearings, I put those bearings on my IDM Evo2 and was an exelent choice!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 05:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
If it was filled with afterrun there is nothing to worry about, that can happen...

Just wipe it off and start the engine.
The Evo 2 is installed now, I re-check and no moore oil leak, ready for action on next round of P.R. Championship!!!

thanks Guys for the advice!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey guys there is a real strange myth when it comes to front bearings. Many people feel that if the bearing in the front of the engine leaks oil out when it is not running or seeps from after run that the engine will not hold tune and such. This is not the case with the bearings. If you have a bearing failure Example being that the bearings are rough or damaged. Not smooth then you have a problem with the bearing itself and this will cause a problem with tune or noise, or engine failure. When it comes to a front bearing in a motor let's take a off road engine, 9 times out of 10 the bearing will be sealed. Meaning it has a rubber seal not a shield. The seal is there to keep dirt out. The engine itself even if the seal is a bit worn will run fine as long as THE BEARING is good. The air has no way to leak into the engine with the inner raceway as well as the balls spinning. Not to mention the clearance of the crankshaft to the case. Look now at a on road motor. 9 times out of 10 the front bearing is shielded. You can physically take the bearing hold it up to the light and see daylight. Motor runs fine. This is the explanation of the reasons people seem to be in a trace about the front bearing leaks. Not a real problem unless as stated above bearing is failing.