Engine Mod'r List

Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EdwardN
I know how to alter transfer and exhaust timings without touching sleeve.
BTW, please read my signature before start saying anything

Edward

but not independently..you can raise or lower the sleeve to alter timing.... but thats not the same as altering ports independently...
Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maximo, I can do it independently for each port individualy-
I just suggested to read my signature, you don't want to listen me.
If I say I know-that means I know.

Edward
Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Maximo just smile.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
smile
Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Edward
Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Edward
Trust me, he can. He's done it to one of the piston / sleeve sets I got from Edward a few years back, and it was a work of art.

Btw, Edward, I still got that aluminum P/S set!

Edward, what#s your opinion on measuring the crank window with a caliper?

I tired that in the past and it never really worked, so i went back to the tedious way, using the degree wheel.....
Old 03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by stefan
Trust me, he can. He's done it to one of the piston / sleeve sets I got from Edward a few years back, and it was a work of art.

I tired that in the past and it never really worked, so i went back to the tedious way, using the degree wheel.....
he can adjust a port timing without touching the sleeve... as in add 6 degrees of boost without altering any other port...actually by not touching the sleeve at all ??? maybe when pigs fly !!!!! of course i guess Edward could create a whole new sleeve with new port timing, which would alter sleeve timing without touching the original sleeve...LOL !!!

but I have alot of respect for Edward, he offered me very good advice when i started modding engines... So I will gladly give Edward the opportunity to prove me wrong...So I will bite on this loaded topic and call B.S. on altering a sleeves timing without altering the ports....As in independently raising the boost port timing without affecting any other port..... I know myself it takes many hours of elbow grease to properly alter a sleeves timing, if there is some magical new way to do so please fill me in.......... Using diamond files takes far too long !!!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Champion

All i am saying is a quick check with the caliper will tell you if the modder has altered crank timing or not , and if so by how much... many modders do claim to alter engine timing, but I have seen very few with actual timing alterations..... If the modded crank measures the same as the stock crank then the timing is stock.... if the modded crank is .5 mm less then the stock crank ( 14 mm crank) then timing has been cut approx 5 degrees....... Most definitely this is not a accurate way to measure timing, but a honestly check to see if the modder has in fact altered crank timing or not .and if they altered timing by how much....... as i say there is no arguing the fact that if the modded motor measures the same as stock then its timing is in fact stock.......... Just like the sleeve... if the chrome is still lining the port then the timing is stock... its that simple....
Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe Edward will choose to tell you how it's done. It's not my place to give his knowledge to others.

It's actually not hard to do if you think about it

It was an elegant way to change exhaust timing when we still had the 4.5mm rule...

Originally Posted by Maximo
he can adjust a port timing without touching the sleeve... as in add 6 degrees of boost without altering any other port...actually by not touching the sleeve at all ??? maybe when pigs fly !!!!! of course i guess Edward could create a whole new sleeve with new port timing, which would alter sleeve timing without touching the original sleeve...LOL !!!

but I have alot of respect for Edward, he offered me very good advice when i started modding engines... So I will gladly give Edward the opportunity to prove me wrong...So I will bite on this loaded topic and call B.S. on altering a sleeves timing without altering the ports....As in independently raising the boost port timing without affecting any other port..... I know myself it takes many hours of elbow grease to properly alter a sleeves timing, if there is some magical new way to do so please fill me in.......... Using diamond files takes far too long !!!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

Maybe Edward will choose to tell you how it's done. It's not my place to give his knowledge to others.

It's actually not hard to do if you think about it

It was an elegant way to change exhaust timing when we still had the 4.5mm rule...

i can think about it..i mean I alter timing on these engines every day..... I mean either you raise the port or you raise the sleeve..... you can shorten the rod but that affects all ports, not just exhaust, just like raising the sleeve.....

Say a particular motor had 126 degrees of transfer timing and 118 degrees of boost timing, and 168 degrees of exhaust timing......... Myself I would look to raise the exhaust to 180 degrees, and raise the boost from 118-126 degrees...... so I am adding 12 degrees duration tothe exhaust and 8 degrees duration to the boost............. The only way to do this is to cut the sleeve ports... if anyone has any other way to alter the timing as I have previously stated please let me know........These are only hypothetical numbers of course......
Old 03-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Shortening the rod is great idea. Putting it back together is where the problem lies...

i can think about it..i mean I alter timing on these engines every day..... I mean either you raise the port or you raise the sleeve..... you can shorten the rod but that affects all ports, not just exhaust, just like raising the sleeve.....

Say a particular motor had 126 degrees of transfer timing and 118 degrees of boost timing, and 168 degrees of exhaust timing......... Myself I would look to raise the exhaust to 180 degrees, and raise the boost from 118-126 degrees...... so I am adding 12 degrees duration tothe exhaust and 8 degrees duration to the boost............. The only way to do this is to cut the sleeve ports... if anyone has any other way to alter the timing as I have previously stated please let me know........
Old 03-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Tech Lord

Yes, just move the upperside of the piston over sandpaper....
And by grinding differen depths on the edge of the piston you can alter the timing on each port.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Say a particular motor had 126 degrees of transfer timing and 118 degrees of boost timing, and 168 degrees of exhaust timing......... Myself I would look to raise the exhaust to 180 degrees, and raise the boost from 118-126 degrees...... so I am adding 12 degrees duration tothe exhaust and 8 degrees duration to the boost............. The only way to do this is to cut the sleeve ports... if anyone has any other way to alter the timing as I have previously stated please let me know........These are only hypothetical numbers of course......
never say it cant be done. 2 stroke piston is your valve for a 4 stroke.
different piston hieghts definately alter the port timings, it also creates turbulance and if done right, can improve flow. there are many tricks to these engines, thats for sure, my time on performance 2 stroke bike engines has made me aware of the similarities to these small powerfull engines. just next time dont rule out something thats not knowledge to you.
if you want to see how your engines perform, get one to a capable driver in a big race, then you will see how your motors compare. there is nothing like a nationals or worlds event to bring out a heap of 'special' motors to factory drivers.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
And by grinding differen depths on the edge of the piston you can alter the timing on each port.

Bingo!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
never say it cant be done. 2 stroke piston is your valve for a 4 stroke.
different piston hieghts definately alter the port timings, it also creates turbulance and if done right, can improve flow. there are many tricks to these engines, thats for sure, my time on performance 2 stroke bike engines has made me aware of the similarities to these small powerfull engines. just next time dont rule out something thats not knowledge to you.
if you want to see how your engines perform, get one to a capable driver in a big race, then you will see how your motors compare. there is nothing like a nationals or worlds event to bring out a heap of 'special' motors to factory drivers.

I had 6 of my motors running at the Canadian Winter Nationals last weekend...2nd year in a row !!!!! clearly and honestly we had the fastest, most efficient motors on the track..........this is my second year at the Canadian Nationals as well.... in offroad my motors have no equal !!!!!

I knew edward had a trick up his sleeve, but i figured i'd take the bait and and let him prove me wrong.....

I cannot see being able to alter much timing by cutting the piston top...definitely not the same as cutting the actual port... my C6 needed 16 degrees of exhaust timing cut, which is massive !!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.