Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING >

ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING

ORION CRF .12.............BAD PISTON CASTING

Old 11-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc_freak
Thanks JLock....................Your right, I never asked Orion to fix or replace it.
then how can you sa their service is shitty? If you called me just asking about about aproblem but being general i would brush you off as well. Im sure they have better things to do then talk about if they have ever had defective pistons getting holes in them. If you would have told them your problem and asked them to fix their error if you could prove you didnt do it and they could tell it was on their part....you would prolly gotten better service.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TomB
maybe i'm wrong but it seems as though the guy f**ked up his engine, and is trying to get a free replacement from orion by making a big public statement about his issues.

no way in hell can engine just under normal use can produce a hole like that. Now i can't see the hole too well in the pictures, but it seems as though it is a rather clean hole, with clean edges. i can't see how the combustion process can make such a hole.

also, if the piston was weak and inferior, to such an extent that a hole was made in it, there may have been (or should have been ) a greater chance of this happenign during break in due to the high compression, not after.

i'm not saying 100% that he is lying, or fibbing, but what i am saying is the possibilities of this happening are so small, that it's a 1 in 1million possibility, there is technically a higher possibility of user error.

dude to get beter close up shots you need to put the camera in macro mode (the little flower symbol)

Tom, lets call rcfreak's incident : Thermonuclear Isobaric Ignition Syndrome where perfectly normal piston will be blasted under proper shimming, proper nitro fuel percentage, and proper operating temperature.

Tonight, I'm going to meet Bill Gates & George Clooney & Beyonce to discuss this phenomena.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc_freak
Thanks JLock....................Your right, I never asked Orion to fix or replace it.

I did talk a cool person at Orion this afternoon and he said to send the piston and sleeve in.They had seen it twice before. He also said there was a bad batch of motors (version 1 )
. That happens to be the one I have. Anyway, he said he would do what he could to help. We shall see what happens.
Seem a few ppl didn't read this post before making comment
Old 11-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Could there be a bit of selective reading going on here?

And TomB, why don't you just say that you think that he's guilty and stop beating around the bush!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
i had someone pm me with something like this
though iv never have run this motor iv seen this about it
some ppl have good luck with it and some dont like you
just like the really cheap red dot motor

i always just say get a nova,sirio,or a ninja
and yes a max is good too but a little harder to tune.
your crf is now a paper weight like so many others out there.
Originally Posted by TeeKuang
If not because of piston tool, Maybe the piston was too hot and reaching close to aluminum melting point, then the combustion process push the piston out of it's shape.
Originally Posted by Allan
Huh......Melting point of aluminium is 1220 F.Hardly likely to get anywhere near that unless you put it in a furnace.

Originally Posted by asw7576
I bet you want to remove or tighten the flywheel locknut, and you use something to hold the piston, but shitz happen..... the piston break through

And now you want to claim the warranty from Orion ?

LOL, Do you think Team Orion is dumb ?
Man look at all these posts, I think we should try to find the answer not beat the guy up because he titled the thread so that it could be taken good or bad. The Picco shot the temp issue. There are so many alloys out there there is not a set temp that "aluminum" will melt at. The issue is that when aluminum is or gets to "it's" melting point the metal does not distort it melts completely into a lump. I really do not think that a piston tool is what caused the problem as I have never seem to my knowledge a piston lock tool for turbo heads. Now I may be wrong but I have never seen one and for that matter the distortion and the center ring around the hole in the piston is way way way to big to be a piston tool. That size outer ring would not even fit through the plug hole unless he used a 10 ton press. I would really think that maybe the piston was distorted from the beginning would explain the material loss in the center and also the running issue. That is difficult to say as some things are never explained I can only speak for what I have seen with the IDM line and some of the others but the fact there is no detonation of the head or the piston crown leads me to believe there was not a temp issue with this. If the piston was that hot to melt or distort then why is the combustion chamber just fine. That is the hottest part of the engine with no questions and also if that hot how was the engine case not wrecked or also the rod. Looks to be good to me. And I have to say that if I had a engine like that returned or what have you I would warranty it. I do not know what happened with Orion as I would think that they would be willing to help out. Maybe misunderstood I do not know I was not part of the conversation. I would maybe call and send them the pics and see how they approach it, I think it would all work out. If you cannot find the cause it is really hard to blame someone. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by xspower
Man look at all these posts, I think we should try to find the answer not beat the guy up because he titled the thread so that it could be taken good or bad. The Picco shot the temp issue. There are so many alloys out there there is not a set temp that "aluminum" will melt at. The issue is that when aluminum is or gets to "it's" melting point the metal does not distort it melts completely into a lump. I really do not think that a piston tool is what caused the problem as I have never seem to my knowledge a piston lock tool for turbo heads. Now I may be wrong but I have never seen one and for that matter the distortion and the center ring around the hole in the piston is way way way to big to be a piston tool. That size outer ring would not even fit through the plug hole unless he used a 10 ton press. I would really think that maybe the piston was distorted from the beginning would explain the material loss in the center and also the running issue. That is difficult to say as some things are never explained I can only speak for what I have seen with the IDM line and some of the others but the fact there is no detonation of the head or the piston crown leads me to believe there was not a temp issue with this. If the piston was that hot to melt or distort then why is the combustion chamber just fine. That is the hottest part of the engine with no questions and also if that hot how was the engine case not wrecked or also the rod. Looks to be good to me. And I have to say that if I had a engine like that returned or what have you I would warranty it. I do not know what happened with Orion as I would think that they would be willing to help out. Maybe misunderstood I do not know I was not part of the conversation. I would maybe call and send them the pics and see how they approach it, I think it would all work out. If you cannot find the cause it is really hard to blame someone. Just my 2 cents.
how you know the combustion chamber is good ???? no picture of the head button.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E.Rocha
Read his first post, no mention of any other damage barr the piston
Old 11-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugenville
Read his first post, no mention of any other damage barr the piston
Robert,
I believe what he is saying is that there was never a picture of the head button showing that it did not have any damage or detonation.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by E.Rocha

I agree with the fact that there is not a pic of the button, but if you had that much detonation on the chamber you would have it on the piston crown. There is no way around that. And the crown looks really smooth with the problem being it looks to be caved in with a hole in the center.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Ok guys......Just to make it clear...There is not a hole in it. It looks that way. All the CRF pistons have the dish inthe piston. The only issue is with the crack around the top of it.

As for the crack......could not be from any form of piston locking tool due to the OD or ID size.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Addict

If any of you have a .12 motor to sell me........Please let me know.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Wow, some of you guys slay me!! Always blame and bash the guy bringing up the issue. I see this way too often on the forums I frequent. You buy a new servo, plug it in the receiver the right way, turn on the power, the servo doesn't work, post on the forum if someone else has had the issue, then get bashed in the head for posting it, blaming you for a servo that never worked (just a prime example). Like I posted earlier on this thread, I just hope that many of you that are bashing rc_freak never post any problems or issues you have with anything you buy for you r/c stuff. I will not be sympathetic to you since many of you are not sympathetic to others that might have legitimate issues with stuff that they buy. Since we humans are the ones that assemble this stuff, there are occasions that their may be flaws, defects, and/or workmanship/quality control issues with the stuff that we buy. Not everything will work the first time (I have purchased stuff that was defective or just did not work right out of the box, both r/c and non-r/c). I know that this society is one that blames others for your problems, but, maybe this time, someone (rc_freak) may have a legitimate beef and don't need us assuming and assessing blame where it might not be warranted. Just remember this when you purchase your next nitro engine and something in it is defective. Remember this the next time you purchase a receiver or servo that does not power up when you turn on the switch. Remember this the next time you buy and new r/c car kit and some of the parts weren't machined right or are missing altogether. Don't come on the forum crying about it because we will blame you for it. Remember that, my fellow r/c friends!!

Last edited by JLock; 11-18-2007 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

iv seen this on a jp mod
and i wont say whos
maybe he's an idiot too
Old 11-18-2007, 02:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
iv seen this on a jp mod
and i wont say whos
maybe he's an idiot too
Wow thats a bit harsh.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If Brian offered you some help on this you should take it. You just don't knock back an offer from one of the best - especially on this engine.

I will say though that there is no general issue with the Orion CRF engines. I have run these for just over a season and have had them eat plugs, and I have run them with too small a head clearance as well and still managed to finish big races.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.