R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Max Power XL3 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/185649-max-power-xl3.html)

jj_spike 10-11-2007 08:00 PM

Max Power XL3

Hey All,

a local outfit has some Max Power XL3 engines in stock at about $450. They claim these are far better than the SL3's as they are fully modded. As these are quite new, I do not know anyone that has used one. Any feedback on the XL3? How modded are they and how much better than the SL3?

Cheers!

JJ

TomB 10-11-2007 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by jj_spike (Post 3757647)
Hey All,

a local outfit has some Max Power XL3 engines in stock at about $450. They claim these are far better than the SL3's as they are fully modded. As these are quite new, I do not know anyone that has used one. Any feedback on the XL3? How modded are they and how much better than the SL3?

Cheers!

JJ

the specs on the max site show it is pritty much similar, possibly the material used is different. the difference may be comparable to a nova 12 ct vrs a nova 12 sct im guessing.

i doubt the XL3 is the novarossi 353 performance engine as nova has not released thisengine on its own yet.

jj_spike 10-12-2007 06:45 PM

I scoured the Internet and could not find anything about this engine except for the basics on the Max website. I was going to pick this engine up tomorrow however I am concerned as I do not have any first hand references. Any references would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Team Kamikaze 10-12-2007 07:53 PM

Max XL3 is comparable to a Nova 12-3SCT only it's a modified motor by Massimo Fantini.

TomB 10-12-2007 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by jj_spike (Post 3760442)
I scoured the Internet and could not find anything about this engine except for the basics on the Max website. I was going to pick this engine up tomorrow however I am concerned as I do not have any first hand references. Any references would be appreciated.

Cheers!

mate my sl3 MF edition is one of the best engines i have ever owned, so the standard xl3 will be on par if not unoticably close...possibly even better than the sl3 worlds tuned MF. get it without hesitation, thats my opinion.;)

jj_spike 10-13-2007 05:48 AM

How would this compare to a Murnan modded 12-3SCT? I would assume it would be close given you could only go so far. I also understand that factory modded engines are not "hot" as 3rd party modded engines. I think I am sold on the XL3.....

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze (Post 3760618)
Max XL3 is comparable to a Nova 12-3SCT only it's a modified motor by Massimo Fantini.

wallyedmonds 10-13-2007 06:19 AM

my question is can you guy's get the power out of the motor.
meaning can you tune that good.
or do you think a cheaper and stock motor would be easier to tune and go just as fast as if you where running a max.
nobody this summer could tune the mod motors to go faster than a stock .
the places where i run.:)
i just dont like the high price of motors nowadays :)

Grinder 10-14-2007 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze (Post 3760618)

Actually the XL3 is a short stroke engine. It is not based off of the long stroke +12 in any way. The XL3 is based on the LS3 short stroke. The XL3 is an LS3 that Max has modified. The bore on the XL3, and LS3 is 13.8mm, and the bore on the long stroke +12 series of engines is 13.7mm. The 353 is also long stroke.;)

wallyedmonds 10-14-2007 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Grinder (Post 3763715)
Actually the XL3 is a short stroke engine. It is not based off of the long stroke +12 in any way. The XL3 is based on the LS3 short stroke. The XL3 is an LS3 that Max has modified. The bore on the XL3, and LS3 is 13.8mm, and the bore on the long stroke +12 series of engines is 13.7mm. The 353 is also long stroke.;)

this is true :nod:

TomB 10-14-2007 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds (Post 3761527)
my question is can you guy's get the power out of the motor.
meaning can you tune that good.
or do you think a cheaper and stock motor would be easier to tune and go just as fast as if you where running a max.
nobody this summer could tune the mod motors to go faster than a stock .
the places where i run.:)
i just dont like the high price of motors nowadays :)

why would a cheaper engine be easier to tune anyway? if someone can't tune an engine it is due to lack of knowledge not due to the price of an engine. also, if a modified engine is hard to tune it's due to the fact that the modifications are not done well, it means the port timming and the "in and out" of the fuel and air is out of sinc, not an issue of a modified engine but an issue of a poor modifier just chopping it up instead of doing what is required to open up the engine to it's maximum timming.;)

thamjk 10-16-2007 11:52 PM

Yes, from what I see this XL3 is a short stroke engine. I would say same generation as those on LS3 and NS3 old model. Even the crankcase is also not the new version like those 123plus engine except of course he use the 6fins heat sink. SL3 is using microcasted piston same on NSR3 old engine but this XL3 is just a normal CNC piston which can be found on any NS3 engine.

But one thing I am not too sure is why is the price is so expensive.

TomB 10-17-2007 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by thamjk (Post 3773224)
Yes, from what I see this XL3 is a short stroke engine. I would say same generation as those on LS3 and NS3 old model. Even the crankcase is also not the new version like those 123plus engine except of course he use the 6fins heat sink. SL3 is using microcasted piston same on NSR3 old engine but this XL3 is just a normal CNC piston which can be found on any NS3 engine.

But one thing I am not too sure is why is the price is so expensive.

some of the guys who have been racing for a while say the torque engines are actually quicker than the reving engines (in .21's anyway). i wonder if this is the same with the .12's?

i was told the europeans like a revvy engine, as oposed to the torque type engines, would this be a reason for the change to the XL3 setup?

my old SL3 has such a nice linier power band, that it makes the engine very easy to drive. no sharp peaks in power like other engines i owned, yet it has awesome punch!

wallyedmonds 10-17-2007 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by TomB (Post 3763857)
why would a cheaper engine be easier to tune anyway? if someone can't tune an engine it is due to lack of knowledge not due to the price of an engine. also, if a modified engine is hard to tune it's due to the fact that the modifications are not done well, it means the port timming and the "in and out" of the fuel and air is out of sinc, not an issue of a modified engine but an issue of a poor modifier just chopping it up instead of doing what is required to open up the engine to it's maximum timming.;)

not really cheaper but stock
a stock engine is easier to tune than a mod engine is.
a stock engine is cheaper
if someone dosant know how to tune good than a mod engine is not really good for them to run.
its kinda like why alot of ppl like to run 16 or 20 fuel instead of 30.

Team Kamikaze 10-17-2007 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds (Post 3775385)
not really cheaper but stock
a stock engine is easier to tune than a mod engine is.
a stock engine is cheaper
if someone dosant know how to tune good than a mod engine is not really good for them to run.
its kinda like why alot of ppl like to run 16 or 20 fuel instead of 30.

You are completely wrong, a Modified engine is not harder to tune.

thamjk 10-17-2007 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by TomB (Post 3773840)
some of the guys who have been racing for a while say the torque engines are actually quicker than the reving engines (in .21's anyway). i wonder if this is the same with the .12's?

i was told the europeans like a revvy engine, as oposed to the torque type engines, would this be a reason for the change to the XL3 setup?

my old SL3 has such a nice linier power band, that it makes the engine very easy to drive. no sharp peaks in power like other engines i owned, yet it has awesome punch!

I still have the old NS3 in hand but stop runing for quite sometimes. When I try to make comparison between these two engine other then the XL3 is a ported version by max I can't find any thing else different. So that mean the crankshaft would be most slightly the same that they were using on the Max S5. So I can't tell which part of the engine does making it a torgue engine.

Or maybe MAX doesn't sign a new contract with nova for producing the plus 123 MAX version yet.

But one thing for sure is Nova is going to long stroke engine, more torque.