R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default L-Collari Innotech XS390 question

Hello everyone in nitro land, question: After going through 2 nitro engines without success(some unknown .21 Picco 5 port, broke the con rod, beat up the button and piston head, to which no one knows its replacement parts, then an OS VSpec which I completely rebuilt with an actual Lamberto Collari rear bearing, Dynamite front bearing, new con rod, pinch, carb gaskets, back plate gaskets and head shims, which won't tune properly, darn 3 needle carbs) I then bought an L-Collari Innotech XS 390 for my OFFROAD 1/8th buggy off a friend. Now, according to their site, http://www.lcollari-innotech.com/XS390.en.htm, there is very little difference between the on road and offroad engines with the exception of the RPM's. Does anyone know if there is any real difference between them? Am I nuts having it in my buggy? I'm still figuring out the three needle carb, and would rather a 'dumbed down' 2 needle Novarossi 21 plus 5, but this is what I have to work with. I'm also using a JP1 pipe.

I also put a small crack in the head, who makes aftermarket, larger heads? Is this a Novarossi based engine or Sirio or? Mine has 6 head screws, not 4.

Any advice is welcome, I'm at the end of my budget and frustration.

Thanks in advance,
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Tech Elite

sorry to hear about your engine woes.
AxeMotorRossi engines make or made the XS line for Lcollari.
The LSK, Black Magic and Maranello parts should all be interchangeable.
Casterracing ZX1.5R
casterracing EX-1 Pro, SP Silver Arrow
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 17.5, SP GT Pro 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Sorry to hear you are at the end of budget & frustration.
There is a big difference in on & off road engines. Off road engines have quite a bit more torque at low RPM, less hp and peak torque. On-road .21s are intended for a 5 pound car with low rotating mass drive trains and little rolling resistance. Completely different invironment for a buggy engine.
I have run a Nova Mega MS .21 in a buggy before. Mid-range and top-end was quite impressive. Bottom-end was un-impressive however.
If you run exhaust for best bottom-end performance & clutch it just right, you might be OK. You need an over-sized heat sink though.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Sirio2127

Hi the liner and crank are difrent and underhead button. The xs390 is based on the axe rossi maranelo engine. The off road version Innotech xs400 is based on the axe rossi black magic engine. Boath engines parts are compatable.Black magic to xs400 and xs390 to maranelo. There is a big misconception that off-road engines make more torque than on-road engines. Form what i have done this is totaly untrue. An on-road engine has a much more agressave power band than an off-road engine and the off road engine's make torque later in the power band. I have found that on-road engines in buggies work very very well providing you change the heat sink and tune them properly and do regular maintance. They are Much Much more agressave and realy only suite a large high bite track outher wise you will constantly over power the track very early in the on-road's engines powerband. I regulary run on-road engines in my buggies and they work very very well. Run time is normaly a 5min job in on-road racing were as off-road 10min is the mark to try to push from a 125cc tank of fuel. An on-road engine in a buggy should get around 7min maby a little more depending on a few things like pipe chamber and restrictor size.

I hope this ancered a few of your questions good luck.

Best Regards Jeremy.
Sirio2127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Off-road engines do make more torque at lower RPM. Peak torque is generally greater with on-road eninges, but occurs at higher RPM. This is due to the more advanced timing of all ports. Fuel economy is better with buggy engines (exhaust port opens later, allowing a better fuel burn, increased bottom-end, and lower RPM as compaired to on-road).
On a typical American track, on-road engines are a poor choice.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote