New Kyosho CRF

Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

rmdhawaii, thats for the updated carb ?
I have the "original carb", the engines that sold before they did an update to the carb.
My engine came with one .1mm and one .2mm shims. Using 20% nitro. Only after I increased compression(took out the .1mm shim) I could tune the engine.
Oh, I am talking about the Orion realesed one.

I wonder if I should take the .2mm shim and replace the .1mm, as this note say its the one for my nitro content ...
Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Tech Adept

About the engine fitting inside the MTX, the engine fits all cars except for one... so if anyone would have to change his product I don't think it's the engine manufacturer

Rawz, 0.1mm head clearance should be good with your nitro %. I would recommend to get the updated carb parts as they will make the engine easier to tune and get a little more low end power.

Nano
Old 07-31-2007, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rawz
rmdhawaii, thats for the updated carb ?
I have the "original carb", the engines that sold before they did an update to the carb.
My engine came with one .1mm and one .2mm shims. Using 20% nitro. Only after I increased compression(took out the .1mm shim) I could tune the engine.
Oh, I am talking about the Orion realesed one.

I wonder if I should take the .2mm shim and replace the .1mm, as this note say its the one for my nitro content ...
Yes, it's for the updated carb and I believe that BK recommended removing the .1mm shim for 20% with the original engine.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TomB
the max is there, and it might go in for the finals. I need a second top engine though just incase. The MAX is flawless at the moment...i'll really miss it when it finally kicks the bucket

with the CRF i passed the first tank of fuel through it today, i put it on the box, and bliped the throttle. i only did one tank as i want to start driving it for the 2nd 3rd as the manual states.

i noticed the needle settings from factory were way out dude like i mean suuuuuper lean! the idle was all eratic going up and down, doing a weird waWAAwaaWAAwaa type thing like there was a air leak.

i richened it up, i forgot by how much as i had to close it and open it a few times to figure out what it was, but it was way lean, and i probably finished upening up both top and bottom by 1.5 turns i am using good quality fuel, runnertime 16% (JP Fuel)

it idled nicely, never bogged down or loaded, and was always crisp when i gave it throttle, yet ran consistantly around 90 95 degrees celcius. i wraped some aluminium foil around the head for a few minutes to get even more temp into it and it reached about 105, then i let it drop down again to 95 for the rest of the tank.

very strange though about the needles settings
This is what Josh Cyrul said about the "waWAAwaaWAAwaa" in June 2006.

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
rmd - After running at this weekends Midwest Series in Detroit I found that some of the problem that you had was due to the pipe. The initial carb settings were based off of rich settings with the Orion pipes. For example - I tried my old Sirio pipe and header on the engine this weekend and had to lean the top end 11 hours!! Nearly a full turn!! It really just depends on the pipe and how much back pressure it generates. It is possible that the Skyline pipe you used generates less back pressure and that's why the carb was sooo far off.... The "waugh" sound you hear on most engines mean that it's too lean on the bottom end - With this engine, that's the sound it makes when the engine is too rich on the bottom end. If you hear something that sounds more like a rapid stutter, that is when the engine is too lean on the bottom end. Trust me, this takes time to get used to and make the right adjustments. I've run the engine a decient amount now and I still have to stop and think about the sounds to make the proper adjustment.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nano
About the engine fitting inside the MTX, the engine fits all cars except for one... so if anyone would have to change his product I don't think it's the engine manufacturer

Rawz, 0.1mm head clearance should be good with your nitro %. I would recommend to get the updated carb parts as they will make the engine easier to tune and get a little more low end power.

Nano
Nano ~ Are you saying the CRF doesn't fit the MTX-4 or are you referring to some other car?

With the MTX-4, I ended up having to shim the engine 0.5mm so that the flywheel and clutch bell would clear the chassis. I also had to move up the belt tensioner to clear the engine mount tabs. Other than that, I had no problems fitting the engine at all.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Nano ~ Are you saying the CRF doesn't fit the MTX-4 or are you referring to some other car?

With the MTX-4, I ended up having to shim the engine 0.5mm so that the flywheel and clutch bell would clear the chassis. I also had to move up the belt tensioner to clear the engine mount tabs. Other than that, I had no problems fitting the engine at all.
Hello all,
I did not have any problem to install the engine on the MTX4WC. Not anyone else that I know in my local track.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Adept

Well I heard before about difficulties installing the CRF engine on the MTX4 and since it fits on all the other cars I think that if something had to be modified (as someone mentionned) it wasn't the engine...

Now etgdpu is posting that he fitted the engine without problems. Not knowing a lot about Mugen cars, I can't tell in which case it would fit or not and why.

Nano
Old 07-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nano

Nano
Ok, I will do .1mm on only.
About the carb, I am in Brazil. If I send an e-mail to Team Orion, will them be able to send me the parts ?
Or is there a place on-line to order ?

Thankx for the info guys.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i just ran this engine for the first time at the QLD State titles (the 2006 tourer worlds track), great engine. very reliable, very powerful, and it has excellent top and bottom end. it was easily the quickest engine in my heat, both bottom and top end.

the only problem i found was that my carby came loose during the semi final. this made the engine rev very high (with a lean type sound) when it heated up. i could hear it as i entered the pits.

is there a reason why team orion chose to use such a small bolt to secure the carby??

other things i did notice was that a very small amount of fuel seeped out of the glow plug area, near the seal of the plug and the button. this was noticable after a 10 minute heat. you could see a thickish yellow substance as if it was oil from the fuel on the perimeter of the plug it didn't seem to affect performance, but it seemed strange. This problem may have disapeared once i changed the plug but i'm not certain of it yet.

i ran the engine with the long header pipe, the optional silver oversized carb insert ( that thing is a joke, it looks so funny on the engine) as well as the crf spring. i had a standard mugen clutch installed, with a lightweight flywheel, lightweight clutch bell, and the flyweights drilled out to 3mm holes. the spring was tightened down to 8.9mm from the tip pf the crankshaft to the top of the springnut. measured with verniers. i used runnertime 16% (JP Fuel i think it is in some regions).

also i noticed the crf spring (like any other i guess) wears in, so it needs to be tightened down as the spring gets used, and softens up.

approximately 6 minutes run time on the 2006 tourer worlds track. i've been told that the old team orion wasps could last 10 minutes though at this track, is this true?

what does the option backplate and the black plug button do exactly?

overall, top engine for the money, can't complain, i think it may be equal to, if not better than my 2006 tourer worlds modified max .12!!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

I was marshalling TomBs races this weekend and I can tell you in my opinion that his motor was NOT easily the quickest motor in his heat. It went OK, but my buddy in his heat had a Novarossi Plus 12 Murnan modified that was easily as good as Toms motor for speed. Tom drove well and the motor looked nice, but I thought I would give my counter opinion.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
I was marshalling TomBs races this weekend and I can tell you in my opinion that his motor was NOT easily the quickest motor in his heat. It went OK, but my buddy in his heat had a Novarossi Plus 12 Murnan modified that was easily as good as Toms motor for speed. Tom drove well and the motor looked nice, but I thought I would give my counter opinion.
fair enough i could be biased lol, not bad though compared to a murman modded Nova plus 12 though! you gotta say it was a dog int he semi though, as the carby went loose. in the last qualifier i ran with a busted thrust bearing (didn't realise this) and the carby i am guessing was either coming loose or came loose already (the engine made the high reving "lean" type sound when i entered the pits).
Old 08-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TomB
fair enough i could be biased lol, not bad though compared to a murman modded Nova plus 12 though! you gotta say it was a dog int he semi though, as the carby went loose. in the last qualifier i ran with a busted thrust bearing (didn't realise this) and the carby i am guessing was either coming loose or came loose already (the engine made the high reving "lean" type sound when i entered the pits).
That I agree with, a stock motor the same speed as a Murnan is not bad at all. I would definately say that your motor was more than fast enough to be competitive. You drove real well I thought as well for your first time on the track, and your body (the cars that is!) looked awesome. Hope you enjoyed the weekend.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

OMG its AMGRacer
Old 08-08-2007, 02:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
That I agree with, a stock motor the same speed as a Murnan is not bad at all. I would definately say that your motor was more than fast enough to be competitive. You drove real well I thought as well for your first time on the track, and your body (the cars that is!) looked awesome. Hope you enjoyed the weekend.

loved the track, it was mad fun.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Besides TomB, has anyone else run this engine? I'm actually thinking of getting one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.