R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Default Questions About Preparing a New Engine

I've read up quite a bit on the forums about breaking in a brand new engine. Since I don't have a break in bench I'll probably do something along the lines of the Josh Cyrul method.

Before that, however, is there anything I should do to prepare a brand new engine? One local suggested tearing down the engine, cleaning it up and sealing it. Is this a common practice? What products would I clean it and seal it up with?
Michael H

Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The reason people say to "break down" the engine is because there could be small particals inside or flashing from the manufacturing process. I have never seen it, but it can happen.

I do take my engines apart and inspect them. I usually clean the parts and flush the engine block with denatured alcohol. I then use an air compressor to blow off the parts and dry them. I will then reassemble the engine using after run oil on all the internal parts.

Make sure all the screws are tighnetned up, particularlly the carburator pinch bolt and the back plate. I will use blue oxygen safe RVT sealant on the back plate and sometimes on the carbeurator if it doesn't have an o-ring.

Let the RVT setup over night and then fire it up.

flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I disassemble and inspect for shavings and/or small particles. I don't clean the engine, but I do wipe it down with something white, to see if anything shows up. Then I coat everything with after run oil and reassemble. I haven't found anything either, but some people have posted finding metal shavings.

Make sure to watch the orientation of the piston as you disassemble the engine. Pay particular attention to the bottom rim of the piston, as each "side" is different. It has to go back in the same way. For future reference, if you have to remove the conrod, it also has to go in a certain way to allow for proper lubrication of the crank pin.
Nitro Knowledge Base: http://nitrokb.netne.net
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/nitrokb -> Lots of on-road nitro & eletric action + some off-road as well
My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitrokb/
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i break it down and clean it with denatured alcohol, then reassemble with after run in the proper places, then i break it in using the heat cycle method.
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by German Muscle
i break it down and clean it with denatured alcohol, then reassemble with after run in the proper places, then i break it in using the heat cycle method.
MRX4-R03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

my 2nd motor was a new one. all i did was install it on my buggy to break it in. after 7 tanks of heat cycleing i started to run it in the drive way. then i heard a crunch and the motor stoped. i found that the back plate came right out. it must have been loose from the factory. needless to say i trashed the piston/sleeve and rod. now i pull them apart and clean and make sure all things are tight before i even turn it over.
dido41 is offline   Reply With Quote