R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #1396
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
Can you guys recommend a couple motors that will be faster than what I've got but will still be relatively easy to tune? I had my eye on the RB Matrix and JLR Red Dot.
Mr. Murnan has become so good at this that I think his motors are easier to tune than stock engines . I have been running his Red Dot; it has lots of mojo and holds a tune better than any stock engine I have ever had!
The Red Dot is picco-based, and I think Uriah recommends changing the rod every 1-2 gallons in picco-based .12's.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:57 AM   #1397
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
Very cool project. Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. Has the car shifted into second gear yet? I wonder how you can control all of the engines rpm, and shiftpoints exactly? What happens if one shifts, and the others do not? Just wondering. I imaging special gears would have to be made to hit 150mph. Keep up the good work. Please keep us posted here too. I wonder if anyone has ever tried a twin engine on road car, let alone a 3 engine.
Grinder

I'm off to Mallory Park Racetrack today for a speed test of the car. I have the high gearing in and we should get some decent video. I'll clock the speed with a speed gun and let you know how it goes. I'm aiming to get over 100mph today as long as nothing breaks.

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #1398
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshosan View Post
Hey Grinder,

How about the RB Matrix engine ? How did it perform ? Thanks !
The Matrix is a fast engine. It runs about like a Sirio, just a little faster. The engine works best with the Sirio/RB 2611 pipe. The engine has awesome top speed, and lots of torque too.

Last edited by Grinder; 06-28-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #1399
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jenkins View Post
i ran a murnan 35 plus 21 that was like the fastest motor at our track unitl i wrecked and it got ripped off the bottom of the block lol
I feel your pain. I broke 2 of them in 2 weeks! Luckily I have not had that happen in a long time. Knock on wood.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #1400
Tech Master

Quote:
Hey Grinder and others. This is my first year with nitro and I'm currently running an OS TZ 12 3 port which I chose for it's ease of tuning.

I'm ready for some more punch so I'm looking at picking up a new .12 Murnan motor. Can you guys recommend a couple motors that will be faster than what I've got but will still be relatively easy to tune? I had my eye on the RB Matrix and JLR Red Dot. A motor that goes well with the Skyline VR12 plus pipe would be nice
Hi. All of my modified engines are faster than the OSTZ12. The Novarossi's if treated properly will outlast most of the others out there. Stay tuned for dyno tests of different pipes, but the Skyline will go OK with most of the engines. You will just have to tune for it.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #1401
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
The Matrix is a fast engine. It runs about like a Sirio, just a little faster. The engine works best with the Sirio/RB 2013 pipe. The engine has awesome top speed, and lots of torque too.
I thought the matrix was a .12 engine and the 2013 was for a .21?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #1402
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
I thought the matrix was a .12 engine and the 2013 was for a .21?
I mean the 2611, not the 2013. The 2013 is the 8th scale pipe for the Xenon.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:05 AM   #1403
Tech Master

Grinder

I ran the car today and managed 79mph but hen the rx pack went dead and the starter box blew up. Good test though and I was just lining up for a 100mph run after sorting out the handeling...

No doubt the Xenon is more powerfull than the other 2 engines together!! When does this thing ever get run in?? Its still sticking at TDC

No vids as I was on my own

Cheers

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 06-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #1404
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy12345 View Post
Grinder

I ran the car today and managed 79mph but hen the rx pack went dead and the starter box blew up. Good test though and I was just lining up for a 100mph run after sorting out the handeling...

No doubt the Xenon is more powerfull than the other 2 engines together!! When does this thing ever get run in?? Its still sticking at TDC

No vids as I was on my own

Cheers
That's pretty fast so far. 100 mph is not too far off now.
Are you going to use 3 Xenon R's? That would sound crazy! Keep us posted here.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #1405
Tech Fanatic

3 Xenon R's would be like 170 mph by themselves lol
|__Hyperdrive fan bus__ _|_| __\_ HOP ON BOARD
|_________12th scale___ |_| ____|
|_(@"@)____________|_|(@)__|
joe_jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #1406
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Hi. All of my modified engines are faster than the OSTZ12. The Novarossi's if treated properly will outlast most of the others out there. Stay tuned for dyno tests of different pipes, but the Skyline will go OK with most of the engines. You will just have to tune for it.
Thanks, Grinder.

I always hear the Novarossi engines are a bitch to tune. Is that true? Which of your motors do you consider relatively easy to tune?

Which .12 motors would you recommend for me?
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:51 PM   #1407
Tech Master

setting up the car is a real nightmare. I dont have all the support 100% yet. ( good starter box.. radio range not tested etc..) Now the thing is together i need to spend a whole day at the drag strip getting the setup right. From my 79mph run I saw the gearing was too high so have reduced the gearing to 150 mph at 40,000 rpm. I have also ordered all the gear to make it 4WD. This will help keep the thing tracking straight and allow me to get the power down early even if it means slightly more drivetrain drag.

For the handeling I have gone to Mugen pink springs on the rear with 90 wt oil and a roll bar. The front is kit evolva with no roll bar.

As soon as I get the thing conistently over 100mph i will load in the 3 x Xenon Rs

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 06-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #1408
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks, Grinder.

I always hear the Novarossi engines are a bitch to tune. Is that true? Which of your motors do you consider relatively easy to tune?

Which .12 motors would you recommend for me?
All of the Novarossi engines are easy to tune. So far the new Murnan Modified RBR3, a Novarossi .12 long stroke base is super strong on the dyno. when combined with the Novarossi 2630. I recommend that engine combo.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #1409
Tech Initiate

Default rb03

Grinder,

Is the RB03 nova 353 base engine?
Taner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #1410
Tech Rookie

Default jl red dot

Hi Grinder
I am running your red dot this weekend at the Canadian gas nats. in Hamilton Ontario and find the motor good but I having a hard time getting the temps down 250--270 it seem to bee rich on the bottom lot of smoke in the infeild and a small amout on the back stright. The motor pulls ok but seen to lack mid range ? top end is good though I had to gear down, the motor was still winding at the end of the stright. so I wen up a tooth on the spurs 1 and 2 now the motor wind out 3/4 of the way along the stright. I am running a 720 with a skyline+ pipe with tornado 30% with extra shimm . does the temps sound ok. I am going to try to lean the bottom and rich the top tomorow.
Thanks
Lee
lroy is offline   Reply With Quote