R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #1336
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfro6512
So Murnan, how did the 353 do this weekend?
The 353 was great. The engine has tons of torque, and fine top speed. I was using the Kyosho RRR Evo with pinions of 17/23, spurs of 60/55. I felt like the engine could have pulled a 24 tooth 2nd gear. I used the Novarossi 2630 pipe with medium header. I used 30% Rocket Science fuel, and added .2mm shims under the head. Runtime was also not a problem with the engine. I was able to qualify in second position in the Sedan A main at 301 Raceway this weekend using the engine. I actually had the lead for a while, until I stripped first gear. The longer I run the engine the faster it gets. So far I have over 1 gallon through the engine, and it is still getting faster.
Oh by the way...301 Raceway is now my favorite racetrack. This place is one of the nicest racing facilities in the USA. If not the best. The layout is extremely fast, smooth, and fun for sedan, and 1/8th scale. Great traction, wide lanes, and some very fast racers make for some very intense, and fast racing. I can't wait for the Capital Classic in June!

Congratulations to Vincent Jackson for chalking up another win for Murnan Modified Motors, and Mugen . Vincent dominated the 1/8th scale A main from start to finish with the Murnan Modified Ninja R01A powering his Mugen MRX4-R.

Stay tuned to the website for more details of the race!

Last edited by Grinder; 04-30-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:09 AM   #1337
Tech Apprentice

0.2mm shims??? Isn't it normally 0.1 for 30%?
jfro6512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #1338
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
The 353 was great. The engine has tons of torque, and fine top speed. I was using the Kyosho RRR Evo with pinions of 17/23, spurs of 60/45. I felt like the engine could have pulled a 24 tooth 2nd gear. I used the Novarossi 2630 pipe with medium header. I used 30% Rocket Science fuel, and added .2mm shims under the head. Runtime was also not a problem with the engine. I was able to qualify in second position in the Sedan A main at 301 Raceway this weekend using the engine. I actually had the lead for a while, until I stripped first gear. The longer I run the engine the faster it gets. So far I have over 1 gallon through the engine, and it is still getting faster.
Oh by the way...301 Raceway is now my favorite racetrack. This place is one of the nicest racing facilities in the USA. If not the best. The layout is extremely fast, smooth, and fun for sedan, and 1/8th scale. Great traction, wide lanes, and some very fast racers make for some very intense, and fast racing. I can't wait for the Capital Classic in June!

Congratulations to Vincent Jackson for chalking up another win for Murnan Modified Motors, and Mugen . Vincent dominated the 1/8th scale A main from start to finish with the Murnan Modified Ninja R01A powering his Mugen MRX4-R.

Congrats Uriam.
Good Job . see you soon
maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #1339
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
The 353 was great. The engine has tons of torque, and fine top speed. I was using the Kyosho RRR Evo with pinions of 17/23, spurs of 60/45. I felt like the engine could have pulled a 24 tooth 2nd gear. I used the Novarossi 2630 pipe with medium header. I used 30% Rocket Science fuel, and added .2mm shims under the head. Runtime was also not a problem with the engine. I was able to qualify in second position in the Sedan A main at 301 Raceway this weekend using the engine. I actually had the lead for a while, until I stripped first gear. The longer I run the engine the faster it gets. So far I have over 1 gallon through the engine, and it is still getting faster.

Uriah, Was this the stock 353 or a mod?
ralph m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #1340
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Uriah. I have one of your Ninja .12's with the skyline pipe. I broke it in on a bench per Swauger's method. I raced it for the first time this weekend. I was trying to keep it around 270 and when I kept it in that range, it ran great and got good mileage. I decided to experiment a little and leaned it a little more (like 1 clock position) and the motor went ballistic! The power was definitely on another level and I was thinking, man this motor is sick! Then, I pulled into the pits and the temp was reading 300. I felt that was too hot so I took it a little richer and that magic power I felt was gone. I take my temp readings with a typical temp gun pointing down on the top of the head at the glow plug. I was running a #5 plug at the time.

I'm wondering if i'll be able to get that power out of it again when it is broken in a little more? Or was that just a little too lean. Do you think it was okay and that the temp reading I was getting was just higher than actual? Any help would be great. Thanks.

(I was running Mugen 30% and I did put another .10mm shim on the head)

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #1341
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to munrath

Uriah,

Thanks for all the support this past weekend. I'm glad you and the crew enjoyed yourselves. Thanks for all the support and nice job this past weekend.

Mark Unrath

Races for 2015:
PNB, AMS, E-Nats Warm-up, E-Nats, LCRC North East Challenge, RAC, LCRC Halloween, Badlands, ROAR Region 2 Series, and Local Club Racing
munrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #1342
Tech Regular

Hi' Uriah thanks a lot this past weekend for your help' I really appreciate it' btw love your motor' I'll see you at the Capitol classic'

Mark Unrath thanks for helping me up your are a big asset of 301raceway and congratulation for the A-main'

Jojo e.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #1343
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentpro28
Hi' Uriah thanks a lot this past weekend for your help' I really appreciate it' btw love your motor' I'll see you at the Capitol classic'

Mark Unrath thanks for helping me up your are a big asset of 301raceway and congratulation for the A-main'

Jojo e.
I agree Jojo, Mark is a huge asset to our track, always there for me, thanks Mark.
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #1344
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
The 353 was great. The engine has tons of torque, and fine top speed. I was using the Kyosho RRR Evo with pinions of 17/23, spurs of 60/55. I felt like the engine could have pulled a 24 tooth 2nd gear. I used the Novarossi 2630 pipe with medium header. I used 30% Rocket Science fuel, and added .2mm shims under the head. Runtime was also not a problem with the engine. I was able to qualify in second position in the Sedan A main at 301 Raceway this weekend using the engine. I actually had the lead for a while, until I stripped first gear. The longer I run the engine the faster it gets. So far I have over 1 gallon through the engine, and it is still getting faster.

Congrats on the result Uriah
Old 05-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #1345
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD
Hey Uriah. I have one of your Ninja .12's with the skyline pipe. I broke it in on a bench per Swauger's method. I raced it for the first time this weekend. I was trying to keep it around 270 and when I kept it in that range, it ran great and got good mileage. I decided to experiment a little and leaned it a little more (like 1 clock position) and the motor went ballistic! The power was definitely on another level and I was thinking, man this motor is sick! Then, I pulled into the pits and the temp was reading 300. I felt that was too hot so I took it a little richer and that magic power I felt was gone. I take my temp readings with a typical temp gun pointing down on the top of the head at the glow plug. I was running a #5 plug at the time.

I'm wondering if i'll be able to get that power out of it again when it is broken in a little more? Or was that just a little too lean. Do you think it was okay and that the temp reading I was getting was just higher than actual? Any help would be great. Thanks.

(I was running Mugen 30% and I did put another .10mm shim on the head)
Hi. The most important thing is not the temperature. I have some engines that run that hot, and it is OK. The best way to make sure you are within the normal operating limits is to check the glowplug after each run. Make sure the glowplug does not look dry. If it is dry, the engine is too lean. The bottom of the plug should have a coat of oil on it, or at least be shiny, not dull. Make sure the glowplug coil is not deformed. I would use a # 6, or 7 plug. The # 5 is pretty hot!
Old 05-01-2007, 06:59 AM   #1346
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph m
Uriah, Was this the stock 353 or a mod?
Mod
Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #1347
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo M
Congrats on the result Uriah
Thanks Paolo. I wish I could have finished better, but that's racing sometimes. I must say DJ Apollaro was ultra fast on this track. Congratulations to you DJ on your TQ in sedan. I have a feeling team Serpent will be very strong at this event. Ashton, and DJ were both looking very good on the track. You will like it here.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #1348
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by munrath
Uriah,

Thanks for all the support this past weekend. I'm glad you and the crew enjoyed yourselves. Thanks for all the support and nice job this past weekend.

Mark Unrath
Anytime my friend. Congratulations on your A main finish by the way. Just remember try not to embarras the boss too bad next time. Just kidding, you are looking very fast in your new 8th scale.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #1349
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Santiago
Hi grinder I need to know if you think that the Murnan Ninja 12 works great in my RRR with the Skyline plus pipe. I ask you that because i see in your engine test that your engine run in about 260 grades of temp and you know that here in Puerto Rico is realy hot specialy in Summer

Thanks..
Yes, I tested the engine in my RRR. No problems. In PR the engine will probably run hotter than my readings, just keep an eye on your glowplugs.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #1350
Tech Addict

A Murnan motor also won the sedan class at the pro series at 301 raceway
5 Nines Racing
Wallace Motorsports
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote