R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 01-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #1051
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_moe
Say Grinder,, If you don't mind me asking, is there a special method you preffer to use to breaking- in your engines or you like to stick with the orthodox break-in procedure?

Ever considered the Wide Open Throttle break-in method (aka Josh Cyrul method)..??
With the new Novarossi engines the WOT method is not my preferred method. The engine remains too cool, and is very stressfull for the connecting rod. The WOT method works fine on most other engines, where the Piston/Sleeve fit is not as tight. For example it works fine on Sirio, Picco engines.

For the Novarossi engines I prefer to heat the engine with a heat gun, then idle one tank through the engine, then let it cool. Then put the car on the ground and begin running the engine rich so that it smokes a lot. Temps should be around 160 F during this step. Do this for about 3 more tanks letting the engine cool between each tank. Then you can begin leaning the engine each tank gradually. Make sure to vary the throttle input when breaking in the engine. After about 1/4 gallon you can begin race tuning the engine. Full power is realized after about 1/2 gallon. Then it is safe to let it rip.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #1052
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace
Hi Grinder.

I would like to ask if you have done much work on these Mega ZX .12 motors?
Is there much to be gained without losing or risking too much on reliability? I'm talking now of the legal 3 port motor.

I would not ask for specific info' just an idea to see if it's worth doing any or much mod work myself.

I will have one of these motors as a practice/ backup motor. Any info' would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Menace
Hi. I have done a lot of work on the Mega engines. They remain as reliable as the stock engine, just more power. Just a tip. The mod version of this engine does not need a large turbo scoop in the back of the crank.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #1053
Tech Fanatic

grinder, what's up.

question for you, when you heat up the engine with the heat gun, what temp do you take it to?

Thanks
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #1054
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doki_doki
Grinder: I have finished breaking in and tuning my Nova 12+3SCT Found out that the 7fins manifold work best in out local tracks Was wondering if you could give any tips on how to maintain ceramic bearings and how often would I check or change this bearing as as compared to the regular metal bearings? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks
You should be able to tell when the bearings are going. Listen to the engine, and you should be able to hear a slight metalic sound if the bearings are going. Kind of a rattle. Don't let the sound get too loud, or you may be in for a complete rebuild soon. You may also feel a slight bit of vibration that was not there when new. The ceramic balls will eventually dig into the metal race causing the race to develope pits. This is certainly time to replace the bearings. Depending on how you treat the engine the bearings may last for a long time, if you abuse it not as long. The ceramics certainly last longer than the steel balls though.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #1055
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So now that Bobby let out that he is going to be running a Murnan Modified CRF at Winternats, can you share with us your thoughts about the engine? Are you going to be selling modified CRFs?
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #1056
Tech Elite

Default Mega Motors.

Ok thanks Grinder.
I will bare that in mind about the turbo scoop.

Good luck with your engines at the WinterNats. I hope you do well.

Menace
Old 01-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #1057
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
You should be able to tell when the bearings are going. Listen to the engine, and you should be able to hear a slight metalic sound if the bearings are going. Kind of a rattle. Don't let the sound get too loud, or you may be in for a complete rebuild soon. You may also feel a slight bit of vibration that was not there when new. The ceramic balls will eventually dig into the metal race causing the race to develope pits. This is certainly time to replace the bearings. Depending on how you treat the engine the bearings may last for a long time, if you abuse it not as long. The ceramics certainly last longer than the steel balls though.
Thanks for the advice Will try to familiarize myself with that rattling sound when I get my engine started Just wanted to know how true this is: "When ceramic balls give way, they somewhat like exploxed and are turned into tiny bits causing a wreak in the engine internals." Some of the local guys told me this since I'm the first racer in our local tracks to venture into ceramic bearings
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #1058
Tech Master

Hey Grinder , whats your preferred brand of ceramic bearing ? do you sell a range or ceramics that you like?

ive had mixed outcomes.. and am on the fence re ceramics as far as longevity are concerned vs steel ...
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #1059
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
So now that Bobby let out that he is going to be running a Murnan Modified CRF at Winternats, can you share with us your thoughts about the engine? Are you going to be selling modified CRFs?
We will be finding the limits of the engine at the Winternats next month. Bobby Watson will be testing the Murnan Modified version this weekend in a Florida State Series race. So far we are happy with the results. The engine should be available soon. Dyno testing in the next few weeks.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #1060
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace
Ok thanks Grinder.
I will bare that in mind about the turbo scoop.

Good luck with your engines at the WinterNats. I hope you do well.

Menace
Thanks for that.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #1061
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doki_doki
Thanks for the advice Will try to familiarize myself with that rattling sound when I get my engine started Just wanted to know how true this is: "When ceramic balls give way, they somewhat like exploxed and are turned into tiny bits causing a wreak in the engine internals." Some of the local guys told me this since I'm the first racer in our local tracks to venture into ceramic bearings
If any bearing goes it destroys the engine. I have not seen any of the ceramic bearing actually explode the ceramic balls. I know of no ceramic bearings out there are up to the specifications of the ones that we have made. There may be cases of out of spec bearings going bad like you described. Or it may have just been run too long on that bearing. I feel more confident with ceramic bearings.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #1062
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMods
Hey Grinder , whats your preferred brand of ceramic bearing ? do you sell a range or ceramics that you like?

ive had mixed outcomes.. and am on the fence re ceramics as far as longevity are concerned vs steel ...
Hi. My preferred brand is our own that I have made here in the USA. Each bearing is perfectly matched as far as ball size to much finer measurement than the manufacturer. The Clearances are adjusted so that when installed in the block then they have the correct clearances. It makes the bottom end very smooth and free. A good thing for making power, and reliability.
I too had mixed outcomes, now I think because sometimes you get a good bearing, sometimes not. Some manufacturers are better at making bearings than others.

Dyno testing has shown in the Murnan Modified Novarossi LS3 with our ceramics make a very significant improvement in TQ and HP. Stay tuned for that. It is also evident on the racetrack when you chase 1/8th scales around.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #1063
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder

on a offroad engine (OS C Spec.21) would you recommend ceramic bearings front and rear or just the front? i had a fellow engine tuner install front and rear and i always thought it was afer to go just with the ceramics at the front.

what do you recon??
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #1064
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Sirio2127

Hi Grinder, Have you expremented with making cearmic bearings for a sirio 21? you would know of there unique size rear bearing I don't realy have a prob with the std ones but i would like an option to go for cearmic bearings in a sirio 21. I know many people would snap them up like crazy. Thanks for your time and Best Regards Jeremy.
Sirio2127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 AM   #1065
Tech Fanatic

grinder, what's up.

question for you, when you heat up the engine with the heat gun, what temp do you take it to?

Thanks
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote