R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-14-2006, 12:59 PM   #766
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Ninja RO1 Track Test

I tested the stock Ninja RO1 on my home track today. The engine ran pretty good. I had the same shift point in the car that I used with the Murnan 35+21. This shift point was too late for the stock Ninja. The engine produced a very smooth powerband. The bottom end seemed to lack a little compared to the latest Novarossi's. The top end is good. The engine is not as fast as the 35+21 out of the box, but it is over $100 cheaper. The powerband feels similar to the Mega ZX21, but Ninja has more power. I used the Ninja EFRA 2053 pipe with a Novarossi Medium Conical header. Now it's time to mod.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:23 PM   #767
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
I tested the stock Ninja RO1 on my home track today. The engine ran pretty good. I had the same shift point in the car that I used with the Murnan 35+21. This shift point was too late for the stock Ninja. The engine produced a very smooth powerband. The bottom end seemed to lack a little compared to the latest Novarossi's. The top end is good. The engine is not as fast as the 35+21 out of the box, but it is over $100 cheaper. The powerband feels similar to the Mega ZX21, but Ninja has more power. I used the Ninja EFRA 2053 pipe with a Novarossi Medium Conical header. Now it's time to mod.
When should we expect results from this test
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #768
Tech Master

Default Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPy
When should we expect results from this test
I have the results.
I tested the engine after modification, and the performance was much better. The engine really woke up, and it has a much nicer sound now too.
After modification the engine shifted into 2nd gear faster, and has a noticeable increase in power, mostly acceleration. I have not done a run time test with the modded version yet. That will happen this Sunday. I have not posted my results because I want to make sure with the mods I am still making good runtime (I suspect that runtime will be fine). Just a tip on the engine. I had to add .20mm worth of shims under the head to run 30% Nitro (Rocket Science).
Old 05-16-2006, 03:45 PM   #769
Tech Elite

Quote:
Uriah:

It's normal, the low-end is very very sweet, at first time feels 'soft' but... needs a rework on the clutch settings. Use the long header if you want a big grunt, but ended using the short manifold and a 16/50 as 1st gear.

Pay attention to the combustion chamber, needs to be raised, PM if you want more details about this.

EDIT: Too bad, too late....
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:30 PM   #770
Tech Adept

Quote:
I have the results.
I tested the engine after modification, and the performance was much better. The engine really woke up, and it has a much nicer sound now too.
After modification the engine shifted into 2nd gear faster, and has a noticeable increase in power, mostly acceleration. I have not done a run time test with the modded version yet. That will happen this Sunday. I have not posted my results because I want to make sure with the mods I am still making good runtime (I suspect that runtime will be fine). Just a tip on the engine. I had to add .20mm worth of shims under the head to run 30% Nitro (Rocket Science).
So the 35plus21 engine still fast out of the box?
Joe Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:07 AM   #771
Tech Master

Default Nova Mega SX12

Would it be feesable to mod a Nova Mega SX12 RE MS? Or is the technology too old? Would I be better to start with a newer model?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:31 AM   #772
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

Italian press published the results of 1/8 EFRA GP in Switzerland and they told the Ninjas had problems with runtime..........

BTW Picco TQ'd and Novarossi finished 1st and 2nd and also best lap.......

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:16 AM   #773
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtveten
Would it be feesable to mod a Nova Mega SX12 RE MS? Or is the technology too old? Would I be better to start with a newer model?
I would go with a newer design.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #774
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Os
So the 35plus21 engine still fast out of the box?
Oh yea.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #775
Tech Master

Default nova Mega SX12

Thanks for the prompt reply here. Do you have someone you could recomend that does engine rebuilds? Also what criteria do you use to determine if a engine is feesable to rebuild, other than obsolesence?
Thanks,
Old 05-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #776
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to andyobaez Send a message via Yahoo to andyobaez

Grinder

You have PM.

Andy
http://www.facebook.com/pitlanehobby
andyobaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #777
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtveten
Thanks for the prompt reply here. Do you have someone you could recomend that does engine rebuilds? Also what criteria do you use to determine if a engine is feesable to rebuild, other than obsolesence?
Thanks,
I do not know anyone who can rebuild that engine because parts are no longer made for that engine. To determine if a rebuild is really worth it you should look at several factors. If your P/S is worn and no other wear is showing it is worth it. If you determine that the bearings, rod, crank pin are all worn... you should just get a new engine. You will save $ and head ache in the long run. I have seen many people replace just the P/S and the engine goes bad really fast due to worn out bearings, or a worn out crankshaft pin. There is nothing really wrong with your engine. It just is not capable of producing the power of todays .12's with the larger crankshaft diameter.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #778
Tech Master

Hi Uriah! What's your comment on the new orion wasp engine? Josh Cyrul is all praises with this engine. Did you check if the TT went thru? Can't wait to get the package you sent me. Thanks!
XTREMERCHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #779
Tech Master

Hi Uriah! Just wanted to ask if I get more power if I make the exhaust bigger (mirror finish) in the crank case? Hope you can enlighten me
Attached Thumbnails
Murnan Modified Motors-image-190-.jpg  
XTREMERCHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:24 PM   #780
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTREMERCHOBBIES
Hi Uriah! What's your comment on the new orion wasp engine? Josh Cyrul is all praises with this engine. Did you check if the TT went thru? Can't wait to get the package you sent me. Thanks!
Hi. I am very anxiouse to try the CRV. The design and use of materials is awesome, and I Josh has proven that it works on the track. I have not seen one in person, but from what I have seen it will probably fly.