R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #736
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Uriah!

I'll be sending you the engines soon

Michael
XTREMERCHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:21 AM   #737
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi Grinder,

Three questions if you don't mind:

1. What do you think of the Wasp Rev?

2. Any specific tuning tips for an unmodified OS 12TZ 3-Port? Temp is typically in the 80's, altitude is 10 ft above sea level (we race 100 yards from the ocean) and humidity is usually high as well. Now that I think about it, that salty pacific ocean air might be a bad thing! Fuel is Mugen Seiki 20% Nitro. I'm having problems running a P6 plug. P3 runs fine. Someone recommended a P7, which I'm going to try next. Car is V1RRR WCE.

3. Given the environmental conditions, should I be running a different engine?

I know you're a busy guy, so thanks for your time!

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 04-06-2006 at 01:42 AM.
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:21 AM   #738
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
I wish I could make it. I am going to try some new tracks this season, so that means I have to budget my time. I am going to try and make it to Cincinatti a couple of times this year. I have never been.
Hopefully you can make it up to MD to try out C-Witts new track. Check out the pics here http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.p...&page=26&pp=40 The first day open is this week. Hope to see some of you guys there.

A lot of the guys are having problems making 5 min on a tank. You are full throttle for most of the track. Any thoughts on the first thing to try for extra run time?
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #739
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Hi Grinder,

Three questions if you don't mind:

1. What do you think of the Wasp Rev?

2. Any specific tuning tips for an unmodified OS 12TZ 3-Port? Temp is typically in the 80's, altitude is 10 ft above sea level (we race 100 yards from the ocean) and humidity is usually high as well. Now that I think about it, that salty pacific ocean air might be a bad thing! Fuel is Mugen Seiki 20% Nitro. I'm having problems running a P6 plug. P3 runs fine. Someone recommended a P7, which I'm going to try next. Car is V1RRR WCE.

3. Given the environmental conditions, should I be running a different engine?

I know you're a busy guy, so thanks for your time!
I think the design of the Wasp is very unique, and innovative. It looks like it may be fast. We will just have to wait and see one racing. Same with the Ninja, I hear that they are good, but until I have one in my hands to play with I can't give my honest opinion. I will test both of these engines when they are available. The TZ should work fine wherever you are. I have used them in Puerto Rico in June and they were fast and made run time. I think the temp was 100 F and 100% humidity. Sun and rain at the same time. What do you mean by problem running P6?? I almost always use Novarossi C7tF for road racing unless the temp outside is colder than 60F.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:56 AM   #740
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
Hopefully you can make it up to MD to try out C-Witts new track. Check out the pics here http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.p...&page=26&pp=40 The first day open is this week. Hope to see some of you guys there.

A lot of the guys are having problems making 5 min on a tank. You are full throttle for most of the track. Any thoughts on the first thing to try for extra run time?
I can't wait to get up there. The track is beautifull, maybe I can buy that barn to live in. I would be happy. To make more run time go to less nitro content. Go from 30 to 20, especially on large track where the engine is revving pretty high for a long time. Also use a cold glow plug. Bigger tires helps too. You can try longer narrower header. Setting the clutch softer can really save fuel too. The most important thing I am learning to make runtime is to be smooth on the throttle. I have done some testing recently, and found that not grabbing a handfull of throttle immediately conserves the most fuel.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #741
Tech Elite

First, thanks. Let me make sure that I got things straight. The Novarossi C7tF is a cold plug. O.S. P3 is ultra hot, P6 is hot and P7 is medium-hot. Looks like I'm way off the mark! Are you running cold plugs across all of your engines or is it specific to the O.S.? Could you elaborate on why a cold plug is the better choice? (i.e. timing, performance, temp/alt/humidity, etc.)

Wow! Good thing I asked the question!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #742
Tech Elite

BTW - Do you recommend breaking in the engine with the Novarossi C7tF as well or is it okay to use the P6 that comes with the engine?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:17 PM   #743
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

I used the P6 glow plug to break-in the engine and its the glow-plug im using for racing it also. The P6 really brings out the monster power of the TZ. I have tried the P7 and it was almost impossible to find the peak power like I did with the p6. Since break-in, I havent had to touch the low-speed needle even though I have raced under different track, weather, location conditions. Only thing you need to set on your engine is to have an idle that matches your track and the high-speed needle for temperature and good mixture. Puerto Rico's weather varies from 80-105F on a sunny day. And like Murnan was able to witness last year, it can turn from sunny to rain in no time and yet the engine's setting will not vary more than 1/4 turn on the high-speed needle.

Hey Murnan, are you planning on returning this year on July for the 3rd Latinoamerican cup?

Selling all my MTX4 parts, bodies, radio and everything!
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #744
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
make more run time go to less nitro content. Go from 30 to 20, especially on large track where the engine is revving pretty high for a long time. Also use a cold glow plug. Bigger tires helps too. You can try longer narrower header. Setting the clutch softer can really save fuel too. The most important thing I am learning to make runtime is to be smooth on the throttle. I have done some testing recently, and found that not grabbing a handfull of throttle immediately conserves the most fuel.
Got my 20%! I knew it for the big track.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #745
Tech Master

Quote:
First, thanks. Let me make sure that I got things straight. The Novarossi C7tF is a cold plug. O.S. P3 is ultra hot, P6 is hot and P7 is medium-hot. Looks like I'm way off the mark! Are you running cold plugs across all of your engines or is it specific to the O.S.? Could you elaborate on why a cold plug is the better choice? (i.e. timing, performance, temp/alt/humidity, etc.)

Wow! Good thing I asked the question!
The hot plug will provide more power, but the engine must be richer. I run cold plug because I need more runtime. If you can finish a heat with plenty of fuel, then use a hotter plug. A hot plug with a rich needle provides good bottom end, but can cause detonation easier.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:12 AM   #746
Tech Elite

Grinder: Whew! Thanks for clearing that up. Because of a change in driving style, I just started running out of fuel, so this definitely confirms that I need to get off the P3.

Riketsu: Thanks once again! Too bad about the P7. Unfortunately, I need all the power I can get. This is what the track looks like http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...hmentid=107670. I need top end for the straightaway and bottom end for the inside turns. What do your needle settings look like for the P6?

The problem I'm having with the P6, is that when I try to lean it out from the factory defaults, it starts to rev out of control. It gets worse on the track. Maybe it's just the way I'm doing it. I should probably start with three turns open on the high and one turn open on the low - correct? I have to take it apart this weekend, so I'll see what the inside looks like. This is my first engine, so it's possible that I screwed it up during break in. This is also the first time I'm opening it up since I got it. Yes, I know! You don't have to tell me. I've only gone through 3/4 a gallon of fuel - so it might not be too bad. The rich running with the P3 is probably masking some underlying problem. Who knows? If it's really messed up, maybe I'll just buy one of Grinder's mods.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #747
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Grinder: Whew! Thanks for clearing that up. Because of a change in driving style, I just started running out of fuel, so this definitely confirms that I need to get off the P3.

Riketsu: Thanks once again! Too bad about the P7. Unfortunately, I need all the power I can get. This is what the track looks like http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...hmentid=107670. I need top end for the straightaway and bottom end for the inside turns. What do your needle settings look like for the P6?

The problem I'm having with the P6, is that when I try to lean it out from the factory defaults, it starts to rev out of control. It gets worse on the track. Maybe it's just the way I'm doing it. I should probably start with three turns open on the high and one turn open on the low - correct? I have to take it apart this weekend, so I'll see what the inside looks like. This is my first engine, so it's possible that I screwed it up during break in. This is also the first time I'm opening it up since I got it. Yes, I know! You don't have to tell me. I've only gone through 3/4 a gallon of fuel - so it might not be too bad. The rich running with the P3 is probably masking some underlying problem. Who knows? If it's really messed up, maybe I'll just buy one of Grinder's mods.
Yeah, I always suggest you take apart your engine after each run of fuel unless your sure your running the next day or even so. The low-speed needle should be flushed with the housing. I do not know about the high-speed needle. Also, what break-in method did you use on your TZ?

Selling all my MTX4 parts, bodies, radio and everything!
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:07 PM   #748
Tech Elite

High speed turned out at 3-3 1/2; low speed flush; 3 tanks of idle+cool; 2 tanks of light open practice, with about 4 sec of WOT down the straight; 2 tanks of light racing with 4 sec of WOT down the straight. I was getting completely off throttle for the turns and the sweep at the end of the straight. The clutch end play wasn't adjusted right, so it was slipping quite a bit. Next time I raced, I started leaning it out. The P6 went bad after about 4 tanks that day. Didn't have an extra, so someone gave me a used P3.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #749
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
The hot plug will provide more power, but the engine must be richer. I run cold plug because I need more runtime. If you can finish a heat with plenty of fuel, then use a hotter plug. A hot plug with a rich needle provides good bottom end, but can cause detonation easier.
Yo Uriah...whats happeining....you coming down for the regionals....
robert maestrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:33 AM   #750
Tech Adept

Quote:
I heard alot about your handy work are very good/best. how! much will cost me for you to MOD a TZ? just wondering..
thanks.
cooldude is offline   Reply With Quote