R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Murnan Modified Motors (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/16008-murnan-modified-motors.html)

Grinder 05-07-2015 05:17 AM

Modified OS R2101 engines are back in stock. :tire:

jtrmx250 05-07-2015 04:27 PM

Hi

What's the difference between the legend 9 and the mito 9? Once modded, why is the mito worth the extra $100?

Thanks for your advice.

lighttravler 05-07-2015 07:00 PM

So you would take the .12 elite over the Picco .12 emx and virtus with your modd? Yes it is going in a touring car. Just a little confuse. If that choice was made by money....

Grinder 05-08-2015 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by lighttravler (Post 13998648)
So you would take the .12 elite over the Picco .12 emx and virtus with your modd? Yes it is going in a touring car. Just a little confuse. If that choice was made by money....

You can go very fast with any of these modified engines.

Mito .12
Top elite .12
OS T1201
Legend .12R
Picco .12

These are some great all around engines, without regard to price. They are all very close on the track after modification.

Grinder 05-08-2015 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by jtrmx250 (Post 13998407)
Hi

What's the difference between the legend 9 and the mito 9? Once modded, why is the mito worth the extra $100?

Thanks for your advice.

The mito 9 has a newly designed crankshaft. On the dyno, the mito has a slight edge. On the track, both engines are very fast.
Its worth the extra $100 if you want the modified mito. It makes more power than the stock version. It also has improved throttle response.

JamesHealey 05-10-2015 03:17 AM

Hey Uriah,

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone with your knowledge can answer!

The 35Plus21 is quite a thirsty engine it appears, what's the reason behind this is it the shorter stroke generating higher RPM?

I've measured the timings in a 35 Plus 21 and an RB CXR SLS9, the crank closes a handful of degrees later on the RB but other than that they're pretty much identically timed engines and the port area also appears to be of a very similar design though if not identical, despite their bore/stroke dimensions being different.

(All though I seen instances of tuned versions of the 35 Plus 21 with the exhaust port timing a handful of degrees higher)

Yet the 35Plus21 guzzles fuel in comparison.

Maybe barking up the wrong tree here, but is the move to longer stroke engines as much to do with fuel economy as it is shifting the power band further down the RPM range?

In sight of this, are the older short stroke engines such as the Flash PT & 35plus21 actually producing more power in reality but just can't do the mileage?

lighttravler 05-10-2015 07:51 PM

Ok thanks grinder

Grinder 05-15-2015 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by JamesHealey (Post 14001539)
Hey Uriah,

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone with your knowledge can answer!

The 35Plus21 is quite a thirsty engine it appears, what's the reason behind this is it the shorter stroke generating higher RPM?

I've measured the timings in a 35 Plus 21 and an RB CXR SLS9, the crank closes a handful of degrees later on the RB but other than that they're pretty much identically timed engines and the port area also appears to be of a very similar design though if not identical, despite their bore/stroke dimensions being different.

(All though I seen instances of tuned versions of the 35 Plus 21 with the exhaust port timing a handful of degrees higher)

Yet the 35Plus21 guzzles fuel in comparison.

Maybe barking up the wrong tree here, but is the move to longer stroke engines as much to do with fuel economy as it is shifting the power band further down the RPM range?

In sight of this, are the older short stroke engines such as the Flash PT & 35plus21 actually producing more power in reality but just can't do the mileage?

I think the switch to a longer stroke lately is due to the increase in torque, and slightly better fuel mileage.

It seems to me that even though the longer strokes don't have quite the same peak rpm, they make up for it in torque. Lap times seem to be better with the longer stroke. I really notice the benefit of the longer stroke when the car is loaded heavily. Like a high speed sweeper, or shifting a little early. The shorter strokes bog down easier under load like that.

The 35+ is thirsty. I find the Rb to be thirsty as well. Most 8th on road engines are having a hard time going 5 minutes at a fast race pace, regardless of stroke. At least without damaging the engine.

lighttravler 05-19-2015 09:39 AM

Hey grinder what shim meaning size should I use running 30% fuel on a modded Picco .28 p3. I have 3 on there now but don't know the size. How many would you run.

lighttravler 05-19-2015 09:40 AM

How many would you use

Grinder 05-21-2015 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by lighttravler (Post 14015968)
Hey grinder what shim meaning size should I use running 30% fuel on a modded Picco .28 p3. I have 3 on there now but don't know the size. How many would you run.

.45 to .55mm of total shims should be close. You have to measure them with calipers. You can't guess. Who modified the engine?

Condor Speed 05-26-2015 01:25 AM

Is there any difference between the Reds 2669 pipe and the Hypex 2669? Or are they the same.

rick oxley 05-29-2015 10:19 AM

just got a murnan RB BXR DI5 for my buggy but the future of our offroad track
does not look good. will this engine work well in GT8 and if so would i be
better off with one of the RB onroad pipes than the RB 2097 that i planed
to run.

Grinder 06-02-2015 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Condor Speed (Post 14025577)
Is there any difference between the Reds 2669 pipe and the Hypex 2669? Or are they the same.

I am not sure if they are the exact the same. I think so. I know the Reds is made by Hipex.

Grinder 06-02-2015 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by rick oxley (Post 14030964)
just got a murnan RB BXR DI5 for my buggy but the future of our offroad track
does not look good. will this engine work well in GT8 and if so would i be
better off with one of the RB onroad pipes than the RB 2097 that i planed
to run.

The engine would work well in a GT car. The 2097 would work ok, however I would suggest to use an on road pipe with Novarossi 41032 manifold for the best performance.